What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

SOLVED: Adult Fiction > SOLVED. Fantasy Sci-Fi Female Sorceress Title was ? Magic [s]

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Tami (new)

Tami | 3 comments Back in the 90's or early 00's I bought this adult Sci-Fi/Fantasy book. It was a paperback and on the cover it had a black and white photo of the eyes and nose I think of a girl's face and then there was a strip of yellow on it. The title was two words and I'm having trouble coming up with the first word it was something like uncommon or impractical but neither one of those work when I search. The second word in the title was magic I'm like 99% sure.

The story is in first person perspective and the main character is a powerful female sorceress that comes from a planet where she is part of a royal line that rules the planet in a very benevolent manner. Magic is very common on her planet and treated like almost a friend. She can talk to magic and to her it is alive. Her name is something like Tisane.

The story opens with her reflecting how she escaped from her home planet because it was attacked by strange otherworld people who killed people off and were destroying the magic. A few weeks prior she had landed in an escape raft on another planet alone and she has been wondering around a forest and is in the process of currently starving to death. Then a guy with glowing eyes shows up. She freaks out. He catches her and eventually it is established that he is a wizard on the planet. He thought she was a rouge wizard because she was wondering around in the woods. All is sorted out and he takes her to the wizard academy.

On this planet wizards are very heavily regulated and all a bit neurotic. She doesn't understand why they treat magic the way they do. They regard her as an abnormality as she is female and very powerful but not in the manner they are. She befriends the wizard who brought her to the school and he is one of her teachers. Also her rival is this blonde creepy boy wizard in training that terrorizes her.

A portion of the book is about her training at the school and then her, her teacher and the rival are sent on a quest where at the end they go to this city for the final evaluation for the students. When they get to the city she goes in for the evaluataion and is granted the highest level by the guardian who is described as a centaur. Their levels of power are ranked by necklaces. For some reason after the evaluation she goes incognito and becomes herb peddler in the city.

She develops a thing for one of the high level wizards in the city who gets kidnapped by a rogue wizard and she gets the rival boy wizard to help her save the crush. Then once the crush is saved she gets the message somehow that the people who attacked her planet are en route to this planet. All of the wizards of the current planet merge and stave off the attackers. Then the people from her planet arrive and the book end with her kissing her crush.

It is a very quirky story. That I loved. I lent a copy of it to a friend of mine and never got it back then promptly forgot the title. So if anyone knows what is it called I would greatly appreciate it!

message 2: by Shaun (last edited Dec 09, 2015 02:48AM) (new)

Shaun Hately (drednort) | 66 comments Wild Magic (The Immortals Quartet, #1) by Tamora Pierce

Could it be 'Wild Magic' by Tamora Pierce?

message 4: by Tami (new)

Tami | 3 comments No isn't Wild Magic or any of the books on the lists posted. Thanks though.

message 5: by Kris (last edited Dec 11, 2015 01:15PM) (new)

Kris | 34415 comments Mod
Nameless Magery  by Delia Marshall Turner Nameless Magery by Delia Marshall Turner seems to match your description.

Google search - site:www.goodreads.com "fantasy" "magic" sorceress escape "her planet"

message 6: by Tami (new)

Tami | 3 comments Yes! Nameless Magery is it! Thank you so much! I have spent YEARS trying to remember this book's title. :) Thank you!

message 7: by Kris (new)

Kris | 34415 comments Mod
Glad we could help! It's tricky when "close" memories throw off a search (e.g., magic vs. magery). This group is great for offering a fresh pair of eyes. :)

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Nameless Magery (other topics)
Wild Magic (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Delia Marshall Turner (other topics)