Mrs. Schuet's AP Literature Class of '16 discussion

The Adventures of Tom Sawyer
This topic is about The Adventures of Tom Sawyer
10 views
The Adventures of Tom Sawyer

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Alex Caturegli | 4 comments a.I choose this book because I have a copy at home, and I figured that I could read it with the longer time eluded for reading.
b. I am on page 8, and so far Tom Sawyer has gotten into trouble with hie Aunt Polly, while eating jam in the closet. He escapes the spanking by distracting his aunt, and running, and jumping, over the fence.


Holly Hawkinson | 7 comments a. I chose this book because I plan to read The adventures of Huckleberry Finn but wanted to read Tom Sawyer first. Also, I have always heard about it but have never actually read the story.
b. I am currently on chapter 2. So far, Tom Sawyer got into an argument with his Aunt and runs off. After running off, he finds himself in a load of mischief, and getting into fights with a new character. Overall, I can tell that he is a hooligan who loves to get himself into trouble.


Holly Hawkinson | 7 comments What might each character; Tom Sawyer and Huckeberry Finn represent? Why might Mark Twain write a book about both boys?


Alex Caturegli | 4 comments Holly wrote: "a. I chose this book because I plan to read The adventures of Huckleberry Finn but wanted to read Tom Sawyer first. Also, I have always heard about it but have never actually read the story.
b. I a..."

Can you relate this to anyone you know? Can't wait to read more, thanks for the summary.


Holly Hawkinson | 7 comments Alex wrote: "a.I choose this book because I have a copy at home, and I figured that I could read it with the longer time eluded for reading.
b. I am on page 8, and so far Tom Sawyer has gotten into trouble wit..."

Why do you think he continues to do wrong and get into trouble?


Holly Hawkinson | 7 comments I have noticed that everyone views Tom as a menace, however I think they over look his intelligence. When he is whitewashing the fence he gets several other boys to do his work, but not only do they do his work they give him items to let them do his work. He is very good at deceiving others and getting his way.


message 7: by Holly (last edited Dec 09, 2015 07:51PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Holly Hawkinson | 7 comments Also, after Sid breaks the sugar jar, Aunt Polly immediately assumes that Tom did it. How do you think these opinions of him affect him? He begins crying after and talking a lot about death and how his Aunt would feel if he is gone. What might that show about his relationship with his Aunt?


Alex Caturegli | 4 comments Holly wrote: "I have noticed that everyone views Tom as a menace, however I think they over look his intelligence. When he is whitewashing the fence he gets several other boys to do his work, but not only do the..."
Do you think Tom will be like Iago, getting his way until the end when his plans are revealed?


message 9: by Alex (last edited Dec 09, 2015 07:58PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Alex Caturegli | 4 comments So far, Tom has deceived other children into doing the work for him, and his Aunt Polly has yet to notice. Tom is released from his work and goes to play with the other children. Tom seems to be fairly spoiled, and hates being accused and forced to do laborsome acts. Appearing like Iago, I fear Aunt Polly will been in trouble from the constant manipulation and the inevitable situation of Tom getting into trouble. I predict that Tom and his adventures will parallel the adventures of Iago in Othello, ending in the sad loss of life from Tom and his closest of friends.


message 10: by Ella (new)

Ella Pinco | 12 comments To Holly:
Although I understand why it would hurt Tom when he was accused of something he didn't do, I also think it is important to look at from his Aunt's perspective. She has raised a boy who shows no respect for her and constantly is trying to find ways to deceive her like it is a game. This coupled with Aunt Polly's unawareness gives Tom the perfect scam her, although it does not happen it gives her a reason to fear for the worst.

Tom's behavior reminds me of "The Boy Who Cried Wolf" since he is always getting into mischief and it makes me wonder if one day when he actually needs help if Aunt Polly would run a save him.


message 11: by John (new)

John | 8 comments Ella wrote: "To Holly:
Although I understand why it would hurt Tom when he was accused of something he didn't do, I also think it is important to look at from his Aunt's perspective. She has raised a boy who sh..."


Alex wrote: "So far, Tom has deceived other children into doing the work for him, and his Aunt Polly has yet to notice. Tom is released from his work and goes to play with the other children. Tom seems to be fa..."

Reading your comments, I disagree that Aunt Polly would ever not try to save Tom. Of course he is mischievous but I think his Aunt will care for him even when she gets pranked. Even though Tom and Iago share similar qualities, Tom is just a boy. Tom is dealing with what I said earlier, pranks and not the death of real life people. Also, since we have clarified Iago as a sociopath, do you feel Tom is a sociopath? I feel it can be seen that when Aunt Polly accuses Tom unfairly, it is what Iago feels when Othello gave the position away to Cassio but Tom didn't come up with a plan to kill his Aunt.

Tom is just a boy who does rash actions in my opinion. As a child, I have tried to run away from home once and lots of my friends have too. It is not uncommon. However, we all probably got the end of the drive way before cooling down and realizing how nice it is live in our home. Tom is the same way, he might get angry but he will calm down and realize Aunt Polly really loves him. As children, one day you can be the angriest person in the world and the next day you can be the happiest and I believe that is what Tom is like.


message 12: by Ella (new)

Ella Pinco | 12 comments John,
To follow up on your previous comment, do you think that Tom is capable of changing or do you think that this childishness will continue based on what you have read so far in the novel?


back to top