Mrs. Schuet's AP Literature Class of '16 discussion

Siddhartha
This topic is about Siddhartha
Siddhartha - Hermann Hesse

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Nick Mak (kynmak) | 4 comments a. I chose this book because people who have read it told me that this book was insightful and offered a new perspective on life.
b. I am on page 13. Siddhartha is he son of Brahmin, and brings joy to everyone in his life. Despite the joy he brings to other people, he does not bring joy to himself. To find happiness, he sends himself off into the forest to become a samana with the permission of his father. My initial impressions is slightly biased from the people I have talked to, but I feel like the book will be very philosophical and based upon the meaning of life/enlightenment.

Larry Tran | 5 comments For anyone reading Siddhartha, pay attention to how Siddhartha changes throughout the novel. Every experience is meaningful in some way, and it definitely makes you consider how you go about your own life.

message 3: by Logan (last edited Dec 07, 2015 10:39AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Logan | 6 comments I've read this before, and a significant portion of the ideas expressed in the book are applicable even to pursuing material ideals. Many of the concepts relate to achieving a goal, which is universally useful.

This is not to discount the enlightening angle, but to add a new dimension to the reading. As Larry mentions, reading this makes you be more aware of what you're doing and why.

Jasmine Salik (jasminesalik) | 4 comments I read this book for my first Outside Reading Log and honestly loved it! If you're interseted in reading about spiritualism and the enlightenment you can gain from nature then you'll defintinely love this book! One of the most fascinating things from this novel is Siddhartha's character development and his spiritual journey. Pay attention to how he questions all things around him and never settles for anything anyone says and his open mind! I definitely feel as if I strengthened my perspective on life after finshing the novel and you'll 100% have those "ah-a!" moments while reading!

Manasa Susarla | 8 comments Siddhartha questions everything around him and this causes his to change many times in the novel. In addition, Siddhartha leaves his family and his friend Govinda behind for spiritual enlightenment. Should a person pursue something that will cause them to give up what is valuable to them?

message 6: by Nick (last edited Dec 09, 2015 10:18PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Nick Mak (kynmak) | 4 comments Given the title of the novel and the name of the protagonist, I presume that the book has some relation to Prince Siddhartha, also known as Buddha. Like the prince, Siddhartha (in the novel) leaves to pursue a life without desires. By learning how to do so, he can slowly achieve enlightenment, or the personal joy that he never felt. Siddhartha is happy with his decision to become a samana and easily adapted to the lifestyle through constant questioning of decisions and desires. Thus I think that for the pursuit of personal happiness, even if it means giving up values or family, Siddhartha should still pursue enlightenment.