Mrs. Schuet's AP Literature Class of '16 discussion

Animal Farm
This topic is about Animal Farm
Animal Farm by George Orwell

Comments Showing 1-16 of 16 (16 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Tomertheking | 7 comments I chose this book because it was about the communist revolution and I am really interested in that stuff. My friend recommended it to me so I chose it. I am currently on page 6. The farmer and the barn were described in the first few pages, and an old pig now comes to the barn animals and tells them of a weird dream he had. I enjoyed reading these few pages because the writing style is informal and is easy to follow.

Anjuli Corzine | 5 comments When I read Animal Farm two years ago, I really enjoyed it because the deeper meaning was interesting and very easy to spot. However, there are also some deeper nuances that you have to look a little harder for. Overall, I enjoyed the many layers to the book.

message 3: by Nick (new)

Nick Mak (kynmak) | 4 comments What do you think is the significance of the pig and its dream given background information that the animals relate to economic systems?

message 4: by Wenting (new)

Wenting (wenting1125) | 4 comments I read this as my last OR book, and it was honestly one of the better books I have read so far. It is quick-paced and action-filled. so it grabs your attention and isn't boring. All of the characters symbolize something or someone from the Soviet Union, so it requires some research and deep understanding of the novel to find what each character symbolize.

Tricia | 4 comments I decided to read this book because I've heard many positive things from different people about it and had just learned that it was about Stalinist Russia. I'm currently on page 15, which is the end of Chapter 1. Old Major, a highly regarded 12 year old pig, had just shared a strange dream he had with the others on the farm after Mr. Jones, the owner of the farm, went to sleep. Before his dream, Major communicates to the other animals his personal feelings towards how all animals are treated. He notes that they are basically slaves, and once they are fully exploited, they are slaughtered. Major views mankind as evil and all animals as equal. I find this book really interesting and entertaining, and I really like how I can related this book to what I've learned in world history.

message 6: by Or (new)

Or Shafran | 6 comments What event does the story of the book parallel? try to think about this throughout the book since it helps understand the underlying themes.

Justin Young | 5 comments I decided to read this book because I had always heard positive reviews from others about Animal Farm. The facade of a farm covering up the books deep political and social messages seems intriguing to me.

I am on page 12, about a little over halfway through the first chapter. The Animal Farm is a classic American farm, with the difference being that the animals communicate with each other in intelligent discussions. Old Major, a senior farm member, shares his opinion on the injustice carried out by humans- after he and his peers live their use they are mercilessly slaughtered or thrown away. Though I expected the book to be darker than its title, I didn't expect this level of sophisticated thought from the barn animals. The title was misleading to say the least.

Justin Young | 5 comments Tomertheking wrote: "I chose this book because it was about the communist revolution and I am really interested in that stuff. My friend recommended it to me so I chose it. I am currently on page 6. The farmer and the ..."

How do you know that the book is about the communist revolution based on the first couple of pages? Are there specific pieces of textual evidence to support this? Why did George Orwell use animals to represent the major players of the communist revolution?

Andres Morales | 4 comments Justin wrote: "I decided to read this book because I had always heard positive reviews from others about Animal Farm. The facade of a farm covering up the books deep political and social messages seems intriguing..."

Are all of the farm animals intelligent, or only the pigs? Who do the pigs represent if this book has a political message?

Tomertheking | 7 comments I finished reading the first chapter and I am very interested in the book. There is a point in which the farm animals all say man is evil and animals are allies, and yet a second later the dogs try to kill the rats in the farm. This shows that perhaps Orwell did not like the idea of communism and did not believe it works.

Tomertheking | 7 comments Justin wrote: "I decided to read this book because I had always heard positive reviews from others about Animal Farm. The facade of a farm covering up the books deep political and social messages seems intriguing..."

My friend told me it is about the communist revolution, and in the first chapter it is very clear in the manner the old pig speaks.

Tricia | 4 comments After finishing the second chapter, I couldn't help but think about the seven commandments that the animals created as rules to live by. One particular commandment, number 7, really stood out to me because it reminds me of how all humans are equal. This demonstrates the connection made between the animals and humans and further emphasizes the fact that this story is an allegory.

Justin Young | 5 comments Andres wrote: "Justin wrote: "I decided to read this book because I had always heard positive reviews from others about Animal Farm. The facade of a farm covering up the books deep political and social messages s..."

Andres wrote: "Justin wrote: "I decided to read this book because I had always heard positive reviews from others about Animal Farm. The facade of a farm covering up the books deep political and social messages s..."

After reading further, It's clear that every animal is intelligent- though Old Major is the wisest. Their intelligence is evident when they start to question who's part of the "perfect comradeship", a sign of intelligent thinking rather than blind acceptance. Working off the assumption that the book is in fact about communism, Old Major would represent the communist leaders who saw injustice in the government system, and idealized a equal society.

Justin Young | 5 comments Nick wrote: "What do you think is the significance of the pig and its dream given background information that the animals relate to economic systems?"

What do you mean by that? Do each and every barnyard animal represent some sort of currency?

message 15: by Wenting (new)

Wenting (wenting1125) | 4 comments Andres wrote: "Justin wrote: "I decided to read this book because I had always heard positive reviews from others about Animal Farm. The facade of a farm covering up the books deep political and social messages s..."

As you get deeper into the novel, you will find many instances where the pigs are characterized as intelligent. They do many things, which I won't spoil for those reading it, that show their increasing power over the farm. The pigs represent a group of different leaders, and they all have characteristics that match them with certain leaders who are somehow connected to the Soviet Union. As for the other farm animals, you will see that they are often tricked into believing whatever the pigs say regarding the commandments on the barn. Deception occurs numerous times throughout the novel and is an important theme that you should pay attention to. It reveals a lot about Orwell's message regarding the Soviet Union.

Tomertheking | 7 comments I think the reason that the leaders are portrayed as pigs is because of their behaviour. As the novel continues, they begin to act more and more piglike, and it is perhaps Orwell's way of saying that the leaders of the revolution were selfish. I think that the leaders being pigs shows that Orwell thought the revolution as an excuse for some people to help themselves become powerful.