Mrs. Schuet's AP Literature Class of '16 discussion

Inferno
This topic is about Inferno
Dante's Inferno

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Larry Tran | 5 comments a. My World lit. teacher, Mr. Kakes, suggested to read this book for the last 3 years I've known him. He said it was one of his favorites and a definite read at least once, so what better time than now.
b. I am on page 40; currently, Dante meets Virgil, one of Rome's great poets, who wil guide Dante through the 9 circles of Hell. Dante is scared, which is reasonable, but Dante purges him of his fears and the two begin their journey with hope. This is an interesting book already, but I have to admit, it is not an easy read. Also, its kind of hard to keep track of who is talking in a given moment.

message 2: by Ian (new)

Ian | 4 comments Larry wrote: "a. My World lit. teacher, Mr. Kakes, suggested to read this book for the last 3 years I've known him. He said it was one of his favorites and a definite read at least once, so what better time than..."

Hi Larry! I was interested in reading this book, as the history behind the book sounds pretty cool. Is the structure and syntax difficult to read considering the age of the book? You had mentioned it was hard to keep track of the speaker, but is the language used also confusing?

Larry Tran | 5 comments I would the most difficult part of the book I keeping track on who is talking. The language can be odd but I have a version, like our Othello book, that explains the references. So far though, I think this is my best outside reading book. I'm about 70 pages in, but how Dante describes his version of hell, as well as how the sinful are punished, are interesting and put into perspective the ideas of what is evil and what sort of retribution they'll receive if they is an afterlife. Overall, would reccomend but good luck if you don't have a book that explains the references because there are A LOT of them and
the book is not exclusive to Catholic lore either.

Larry Tran | 5 comments Ian wrote: "Larry wrote: "a. My World lit. teacher, Mr. Kakes, suggested to read this book for the last 3 years I've known him. He said it was one of his favorites and a definite read at least once, so what be..."

Didn't reply for my last message lol

Larry Tran | 5 comments Interestingly, there happens to be a river flowing through hell, not as fiery as expected. Anyways, the river is called Acheron, which is especially important in Greek mythology. This is river from which the River of Styx parts. It's ferryman happens to be Charon, another Greek mythology figure. It is odd to find a predominantly Catholic book merge with Greek myths. Somehow, Dante makes it work; though his appearance is short, the addition of Charon is fits very well and heightens the experience of the play. I am curious to see what other Greek mythos Dante added in The Inferno

message 6: by Daniel (new)

Daniel | 11 comments Hey! I'm interested in reading this book for my next OR Log. What do you guys like about it? Besides the fact that it's sort of hard to tell who's reading sometimes, is there anything else difficult about it? I'm sort of worried that the age of the book would prevent me from getting some of its references; is that an actual problem? Any other notes about this book would be greatly appreciated. Thank you so much!