YA and Beyond discussion

PERSONAL CHALLENGES > Heidi's Epic 2016 Harry Potter Re-Read

Comments Showing 1-50 of 177 (177 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4

message 1: by Heidi (new)

Heidi | 6961 comments Mod
I am so excited to re-read all the Harry books and become part of the magical world that JK created. Currently I plan to re-read one book each month starting in Jan. and then I will re-watch each of the movies after I read the books. Anyone else re-reading HP (or luckily reading it for the first time) during 2016 please feel free to join me here to discuss our love of all things Harry! So excited :)

message 2: by Ashley Marie (new)

Ashley Marie yayyyy!!

Shannen *aka Mrs. Jericho Barrons* (shannybananny71) | 1094 comments Have fun, Heidi! I have read all of the books at least twice and watched the movies too many times to count. They are all wonderful!

message 4: by Heidi (new)

Thanks Shannen! I have read them all twice as well but feel like it is time to do it again! hahaha

message 5: by Elora (new)

Elora Mitchell | 578 comments Yay!

message 6: by Brigid ✩ (new)

Brigid ✩ | 2471 comments Mod
I will join you, Heidi! :D

*b*l*u*e*m*o*o*n* | 986 comments Mod
I'm definitely joining you with this challenge, Heidi!

Karen’s Library | 574 comments I'm just finishing up rereading in print, but my goal is to read by audio so maybe I will join you, Heidi!!:)

message 9: by Jenny (new)

Jenny (juliababyjen) | 1572 comments I've been doing this with some other friends, I'm on Order of the Phoenix right now!

message 10: by Heidi (new)

Perfect timing for the audio Karen since Audible finally got it on audiobook (if your library has Overdrive I would check there first though!) I am so jealous that you are going to experience the audio for the first time :)

message 11: by Heidi (new)

Yay! So excited to have you join Bluemoon and Brigid. Jenny feel free to chime in with any of the books you are reading anytime! I am not picky :)

message 12: by Heidi (new)

OK! I am officially ready to start this challenge and am as giddy as a school girl :) I am putting Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone (Harry Potter, #1) by J.K. Rowling in my car (the audio book of course :) I hope to get it started today. As I said earlier, my current plan is to re-listen to one book each month of this year and then re-watch the movies (Yes I own all the audiobooks and all the movies. Yes I am a nerd. ) I am hoping I don't get too into the series again and can wait to start the next books until the following month :) I would be happy to hear about anyone else's re-read (or first reads) of the series too! Feel free to join me!

message 13: by Ashley Marie (new)

Ashley Marie I'm currently rereading Sorcerer's Stone (paperback) right now and have a slightly mixed attitude, mainly because I want to hear certain actors' voices in my head for some characters (Maggie Smith's McGonagall is PERFECTION, okay) butttt it seems I've listened to the audiobook way too many times because my mind is constantly jumping back and forth from what my brain wants it to sound like, to Jim Dale's narration. AHHHHHH.

#GoodProblemsToHave

message 14: by Jenny (new)

Jenny (juliababyjen) | 1572 comments I finished Phoenix, and so Half-Blood Prince is next! It may be a few weeks before I get started, though.

message 15: by Heidi (new)

Hahaha Ashley. I would have the same problem if i read it in print. In fact, I still want to buy the new illustrated edition so might have that problem when I read it then.

I started the audio today on the way to the grocery store :)

Yay Jenny! You are way ahead of me. Are you reading it in print? Any special editions or just the regular version?

message 16: by Jenny (new)

Jenny (juliababyjen) | 1572 comments I'm reading it in print, the new paperback set I got for Christmas 2 years ago!

Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix (Harry Potter, #5) by J.K. Rowling

message 17: by Heidi (new)

Yay! Is it illustrated? I keep seeing a paperback set with pictures at Target and ignoring it (but I really want to buy it!)

message 18: by Jenny (new)

Jenny (juliababyjen) | 1572 comments No the inside is the same as the original books. It's a box set and the spines together make Hogwarts castle

message 19: by Heidi (new)

Ahhhh I see. Still cool though :)

message 20: by Elora (new)

Elora Mitchell | 578 comments I think the illustrated one is only the first book....I was drooling over it at Costco the other day but at $24, I couldn't justify it.....esp when I have a nice hardcover set :(

message 21: by Heidi (new)

Yup. Just the first book is illustrated so far but there is also a set of paperback books I see all the time at Target that have some illustrations as well, which I thought Jenny might have picked up.

message 22: by Heidi (new)

p.s. $24 is a GREAT price for that HP book!

message 23: by Elora (new)

Elora Mitchell | 578 comments Wow. I haven't even seen that set.

message 24: by Elora (new)

Elora Mitchell | 578 comments .....which is probably a good thing. I'm saving up to buy the set on my kindle so I can take them everywhere. :)

message 25: by Heidi (new)

I could be wrong that it has illustrations inside? It is the set with the newer pictures on the cover by the artist Kazu Kibuishi. Upon looking into it more it might just have new covers? I thought perhaps the illustrations at the start of the chapters might be different but haven't really looked into it that much to be honest since I already have most of the series in hard cover.

message 26: by Heidi (new)

I do think that they are planning on illustrating each of the books in the future per info I was reading.

message 27: by Elora (new)

Elora Mitchell | 578 comments I hope so.....now to get a job so I can pay for them all! :)

message 28: by Heidi (new)

Hahaha! I tell you. The lengths I would not go to for my HP obsession :)

message 29: by Elora (new)

Elora Mitchell | 578 comments :) have you gone to hp world?

message 30: by Heidi (new)

Nope. I would have to go myself because no one I know in person would pay to go there with me.

message 31: by Ashley Marie (new)

Ashley Marie The Kazu Kibuishi covers are the castle-spine books -- they're the same on the inside as the original editions, so only the covers are new ;)

Doc and I are tentatively planning a vacation to HP World! I'm so excited :D

message 32: by Heidi (new)

Thanks Ashley! Sooooo excited for you!!

Karen’s Library | 574 comments I think I'm going to the new one in California this summer!! :-D

message 34: by Elora (new)

Elora Mitchell | 578 comments Well that's a bummer, Heidi.

message 35: by Jenny (new)

Jenny (juliababyjen) | 1572 comments I would LOVE to go to HP World :)

message 36: by Elora (new)

Elora Mitchell | 578 comments Me too!
We've been waiting for awhile but now that the ca one is opening, we might be able to swing a visit.
So happy for you Karen!

message 37: by Heidi (new)

I just saw the ad for the new one in CA. I have never been there (and been to FL several times and no offense to anyone could skip going back). I have friend who lives in San Diego I would like to see but I think that is about 2-3 hours away AND from watching the Californians on Saturday Night Live for years I know how bad the traffic is around there :)

message 38: by Brigid ✩ (new)

Yay! I have a couple library books to finish, but then I hope to start on some of my series re-reads, including HP. :)

message 39: by Heidi (new)

Yay!

message 40: by Heidi (new)

Just finished my re-listen of the first book. Still love HP nearly 20 years later. Will watch the first movie this weekend and then wait until Feb. for book two. So excited to get to book 3 which is one of my all time favorites in the series.

message 41: by Elora (new)

Elora Mitchell | 578 comments Awesome! I keep forgetting that I'm wanting to read that this month. Eek

*b*l*u*e*m*o*o*n* | 986 comments Mod
I'm going to start re-reading next month. I don't have my books with me...boooo

message 43: by Heidi (new)

No hurry ladies! We have all year :)

message 44: by Heidi (new)

I am on book two since it is Feb. Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets (Harry Potter, #2) by J.K. Rowling - listening to my audiobook copy :)

message 45: by Ashley Marie (new)

Ashley Marie These audiobooks are the BEST. I actually still haven't listened to 6 & 7

message 46: by Heidi (new)

If you want to listen to them in 5 or 6 months you can join me :)

message 47: by Brigid ✩ (new)

Sorry I've been slacking on this challenge! I think I'll re-read the first book after I finish Bone Gap. :)

message 48: by Ashley Marie (new)

Ashley Marie I need to read Chamber next, I'm working on those castle-spine covers :) I'll see if I can track down the audio for 6 & 7 though!

message 49: by Heidi (new)

Yay Brigid and Ashley! No obligation but please join me if you do re-read them :)

message 50: by Amy (new)

Amy (amichu13) Ooo this sounds exciting. I'm currently re-reading them for the third time and I'm on book 6

« previous 1 3 4