Goodreads Ireland discussion

Continental Challenge 2016 > First continent-South America

Comments Showing 1-50 of 179 (179 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4

message 1: by Serf (new)

Serf This is the thread for our first read of the 2016 continental challenge. I'll stick up the threads as the year goes on. The girls have enough to do with monthly and quarterly reads and keeping us in line ;)
So this read will run until feb 20th, its your south american pick. I will set up the next thread mid jan to allow people time to get their books.
Happy reading :)

message 2: by Trelawn (new)

Trelawn Thanks Seraphina, looking forward to this. My South American pick should be arriving this week.

message 3: by Paul (new)

Paul Thanks Seraphina

message 4: by Margo (new)

Margo Looking forward to starting, thanks Seraphina

message 5: by Barbara (new)

Barbara (bdegar) | 4626 comments Thanks Seraphina. I'm all ready for this challenge and it's probably the category I'm most familiar with and so easiest to start with for me:)

message 6: by Colleen (new)

Colleen | 1205 comments I'm all set to read Zorro come Jan 1

message 7: by Margo (new)

Margo I have The Amnesia Clinic ready to go. Also The Brief Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao which according to some sticklers for tradition (who insist on keeping countries in the continents they belong in - i.e. Paul) does not actually quality. Still seems to me to be the best place for it ;D

message 8: by Paul (new)

Paul Ignore me Margo. I'm full of crap :-)

message 9: by Margo (new)

Margo Paul wrote: "Ignore me Margo. I'm full of crap :-)"

I'm ignoring you Paul ;P

message 10: by Barbara (new)

Barbara (bdegar) | 4626 comments Margo wrote: "Paul wrote: "Ignore me Margo. I'm full of crap :-)"

I'm ignoring you Paul ;P"

Good idea. I recently got the audiobook of Oscar Wao in Spanish. It's quite a funny and unusual book. I love Diaz's detailed footnotes which explains loads of Dominicanisms. My ex is Dominican and I spent about 8 months there in total. I speak Dominican Spanish so lots of my Latin American friends call me "la Dominicana" :)

message 11: by Serf (new)

Serf With just a couple of days before our challenge begins just an interesting podcast about Latin American literature. Some food for thought whilst reading your pick
http://www.theguardian.com/books/audi...

message 12: by Emma (new)

Emma Flanagan (emma89) Thanks Seraphina. I'll have to listen to it later. I ordered my book for this the other day.

message 13: by Barbara (new)

Barbara (bdegar) | 4626 comments Seraphina wrote: "With just a couple of days before our challenge begins just an interesting podcast about Latin American literature. Some food for thought whilst reading your pick
http://www.theguardian.com/books/a..."

I read the list and there are loads of books that are new to me. One of my favorite books is on the list Lost City Radio by Daniel Alarcon.

message 14: by Serf (new)

Serf Happy new year to everyone. Today is the start of our challenge so keep us posted when you get started and we can see if there are any similarities between books and writing styles.

message 15: by Paul (new)

Paul Still waiting on my book to arrive sadly.

message 16: by Margo (new)

Margo Happy new year guys - hope it's a good one ;)
I'd say I'll be starting an a week or so, but I have my books all lined up!

message 17: by Paul (new)

Paul We have a shelf at home with the books set up on them

message 18: by Barbara (new)

Barbara (bdegar) | 4626 comments I have a bag with the books I already own that I listed. For South America I have 3 choices but will choose one :Crow Blue by Adriana Lisboa (Brazil)
The War of the Saints by Jorge Amado (Brazil)
Children of the Days: A Calendar of Human History by Eduardo Galeano (Uruguay).

I am finishing The Nightingale, a library book and next have to read Did You Ever Have a Family first, our monthly read and another library book that I won't be able to renew.

message 19: by Trelawn (new)

Trelawn After my current book I think I might go straight into my South America choice. Looking forward to the discussions

message 20: by Colleen (new)

Colleen | 1205 comments I have a question .Is it alright to pick Zorro it doesn't take place in South America or should I read another one of her books ?

message 21: by Paul (new)

Paul I'd say its fine as she is South American but I don*t think there is any hard rules.

message 22: by Colleen (last edited Jan 01, 2016 08:04AM) (new)

Colleen | 1205 comments I know there really isn't but I don't know if its in the spirit of the challenge Zorro but I do want to read it so I think I will go with it . Thanks Paul

message 23: by Serf (new)

Serf The writer is south American so it's all good

message 24: by Trelawn (new)

Trelawn So I'm going to start In Patagonia. This is a travel memoir so I am hoping to get a feel for South America. Even though it was written in the 70's I'm looking forward to reading about the culture, history and traditions etc of the region.

message 25: by Paul (new)

Paul Just had to reorder my book as it got lost in the post. Annoying

message 26: by Margo (new)

Margo I'm just about to start The Amnesia Clinic. All I know about it is that it's set in Equador and I was able to get it in the library, so if I don't like it I'll just pick again ;)

message 27: by Serf (new)

Serf Sounds like an interesting read margo, keep us posted. Should get around to my pick by the end of the week.

message 28: by Margo (new)

Margo Seraphina wrote: "Sounds like an interesting read margo, keep us posted. Should get around to my pick by the end of the week."

Will do Emma. I'm on a bit of a high at the moment though having just finished Lolita! It's going to take a lot to impress me ;-P

message 29: by Trelawn (new)

Trelawn Sounds really interesting Margo, I look forward to your comments

message 30: by Margo (new)

Margo Okay, seems guinea pig is a local delicacy in Ecuador. That may well expain a very dodgy chicken dish I once had at a restaurant in covent garden. Can't remember what nationality it was but think s. American. Lets just say that they weren't chicken bones!!

message 31: by Barbara (new)

Barbara (bdegar) | 4626 comments Margo wrote: "Okay, seems guinea pig is a local delicacy in Ecuador. That may well expain a very dodgy chicken dish I once had at a restaurant in covent garden. Can't remember what nationality it was but think s..."

I spent a week in Lima Peru in 2012 and assiduously avoided anything that might be guinea pig. Lima is the gourmet capital of South America - some amazing restaurants, and about a third of Washington prices which would make it about 25% of Dublin and London.

message 32: by Margo (new)

Margo Barbara wrote: "Margo wrote: "Okay, seems guinea pig is a local delicacy in Ecuador. That may well expain a very dodgy chicken dish I once had at a restaurant in covent garden. Can't remember what nationality it w..."

Eating out in this part of the world is far too expensive! Just wondering is there any part of the world you haven't visited?You are really well travelled :)

message 33: by Barbara (new)

Barbara (bdegar) | 4626 comments Margo wrote: "Barbara wrote: "Margo wrote: "Okay, seems guinea pig is a local delicacy in Ecuador. That may well expain a very dodgy chicken dish I once had at a restaurant in covent garden. Can't remember what ..."

I haven't been to Africa and only to Japan in Asia (lived there as a military brat). Nor have I been to Australia or NZ. I was supposed to go to Australia last fall but the project couldn't afford to send us (: I haven't been to Hawaii nor Alaska which many Americans go for vacations.

Also, rather than visit everywhere, I like to go back to the same places to get to know them in depth. I like to be a traveler rather than a tourist - better yet, live there!

message 34: by Trelawn (new)

Trelawn Really enjoying In Patagonia, Bruce Chatwin is working his way around Patagonia interviewing people who came across Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid

message 35: by Margo (new)

Margo Trelawn wrote: "Really enjoying In Patagonia, Bruce Chatwin is working his way around Patagonia interviewing people who came across Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid"

Glad to hear your enjoying it Trelawn. I'm close to te end of The Amnesia Clinic which is also an interesting taste of south america, although the narrator speaks very slowly which is a bit frustrating. There is no way to control the speed as its a digital download from the library.

message 36: by Serf (new)

Serf Aw that's a pity margo, I know with librivox and a few more you can speed them up. Although then it can sound like the chipmunks reading to you.
That sounds like a cool book trelawn

message 37: by Barbara (new)

Barbara (bdegar) | 4626 comments Seraphina wrote: "Aw that's a pity margo, I know with librivox and a few more you can speed them up. Although then it can sound like the chipmunks reading to you.
That sounds like a cool book trelawn"

With Audible books, you also have a choice of speeds and I often listen at 1.25. It seems to me that some recordings are so slow that perhaps they were intentionally done that way.
Seraphina- the chipmunk speed is not for me :)

I am still not having a lot of luck with library audiobooks. I thought they could be listened to streaming thus using data on my phone or being chained to my laptop. A friend showed me they could be downloaded but still no luck when I tried it myself. Libraries in the area need to make them more user friendly, and I am pretty comfortable with technology.

message 38: by Margo (new)

Margo Barbara wrote: "Seraphina wrote: "Aw that's a pity margo, I know with librivox and a few more you can speed them up. Although then it can sound like the chipmunks reading to you.
That sounds like a cool book trela..."

LOL I'm not a fan of chipmunk speed, I usually listen to audible at 1x speed. I now some peaple listen 2x or even faster and in mind that's madness. This book however is like a dirge! It's a shame as it's quite a good story.

Barbara, I have that problem with overdrive audiobooks, hence I don't bother with them. My local library does mostly oneclickdigital which is really easy to download. I think a lot also depends the platform the library uses - when it started first around here you pretty much needed a degree in IT to use it ;)

message 39: by Trelawn (new)

Trelawn Yes it is quite a quirky read so far. I am learning some new terms in Spanish and who new Patagonia had a substantial Welsh community? Not me. It is an interesting book.

message 40: by Paul (new)

Paul I could have told you about the welsh community :-)

message 41: by Serf (new)

Serf Have just started The House of the Spirits which has a mystical feel to it so far, where a mother believes one of her daughters was born for a higher purpose and another has psychic abilities. Interesting read so far

message 42: by Margo (new)

Margo I just finished The Amnesia Clinic and despite my bitching re narration, really enjoyed the story. I'll do a proper reveiw tomorrow - off to watch midsommer murders now :)

message 43: by Barbara (new)

Barbara (bdegar) | 4626 comments Margo wrote: "Barbara wrote: "Seraphina wrote: "Aw that's a pity margo, I know with librivox and a few more you can speed them up. Although then it can sound like the chipmunks reading to you.
That sounds like a..."

The local libraries use Overdrive. Glad to know it's not just me. I don't bother asking the librarians. When I looked for help about 2 years back, they were clueless. And these were the reference librarians who are supposed to know this stuff.

message 44: by Margo (new)

Margo Barbara wrote: "Margo wrote: "Barbara wrote: "Seraphina wrote: "Aw that's a pity margo, I know with librivox and a few more you can speed them up. Although then it can sound like the chipmunks reading to you.
That..."

Here all the downloads are delt with centrally on a county basis. And then you ring the county office they tell you that it is contracted out to a third party, to send in a detailed email of the issue you are experiancing and they will pass it on. And then it goes into a big, black hole, never to be seen again.

It's easier to just buy the damn book!!!

message 45: by Margo (new)

Margo The Amnesia Clinic was pretty interesting. I really feel I've had a taste of south america thanks to vivid descriptions of places with names I can't spell. Here is a link to my review (such as it is ;) )

https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...

message 46: by Serf (new)

Serf Is it a sci fi book margo??

message 47: by Margo (new)

Margo Seraphina wrote: "Is it a sci fi book margo??"

No Seraphina. I didn't want to give too away but maybe I didn't say enough!! It is a fictional travelogue/coming of age story. The reason I can't spell the place names is that I listened to the I listened to the audiobook. The one place they visited that I had heard of was the Galápagos islands, and I was too lazy to google the spelling ;-P

message 48: by Serf (new)

Serf Will add it to my pile, I enjoy coming of age stories. Will be interesting to see the difference between this, a more modern piece V what I'm reading at the moment which seems to be the mystical, romantic type of writing.

message 49: by Serf (new)

Serf Found a review of the amnesia clinic, it sounds like the dream like quality south America literature is known for follows through on this aswell
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/bo...

message 50: by Margo (new)

Margo Seraphina wrote: "Found a review of the amnesia clinic, it sounds like the dream like quality south America literature is known for follows through on this aswell
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/bo......"

Good review but a lot of spoilers! I think this is one that should be approached with an open mind ;)

« previous 1 3 4