J.R.R. Tolkien discussion

Children's Books > Roverandom

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kirsten (new)

Kirsten Pedersen | 1 comments I am just wondering what age group Roverandum would be appropriate for - the lower age, I mean. Perhaps some parents in here might help me out. I am thinking of getting it for my goddaughter. She was 6 years old in September and is in her second year in school.

message 2: by Joanne (new)

Joanne | 79 comments MY OPINION IS SHE IS TOO YOUNG. DON'T SPOIL IT FOR HER BY GIVING IT TO HER TOO YOUNG. TRY SUSAN COOPER FIRST.

message 3: by John (new)

John Rosegrant | 51 comments I think Tolkien made it up for his son Michael when he was 4 years old, so that suggests 6 should be fine.

message 4: by Keri (new)

Keri | 9 comments While browsing reviews and such the common age range seemed to be 8-10 and grade level of 3-5 for reading on their own though many suggested reading it aloud to younger aged children. So if you want to give it to her to read on her own, I would suggest waiting a couple of years.

message 5: by Joe (new)

Joe L. | 1 comments Yo

message 6: by Gloria (new)

Gloria Sun (sunrequiem) | 9 comments Hi Kirsten, I think that at age 6 she might still be a little young to appreciate it fully. My brother Eric just turned 6 and I don't think he would understand it. I tried reading him a couple of pages from The Hobbit but he was unable to follow at all. Wait till third grade (the age of my other brother, Albert) and it will be a lot easier! It's a delightful book :)