2022 Reading Challenge discussion

ARCHIVE 2015 > Secret Santa 2015 - POST HERE when you receive your book!

Comments Showing 1-50 of 143 (143 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

message 1: by Kara (last edited Dec 10, 2015 06:56AM) (new)

Kara (karaayako) | 3977 comments What did your Secret Santa send you?

I'm starting to send out Secret Santa names today. They'll go out in batches. I'm going to keep this thread closed for a little bit while I'm sending out messages, but then I'll open it so folks can post when they start receiving their books. I'm still waiting on a few survey responses, so not all of the Secret Santa assignments have gone out. If you haven't received yours yet, don't worry!

PLEASE REMEMBER: If your profile is private, it'll be harder for your Santa to know what type of books you like and impossible for him or her to know what you have already read.

message 2: by Mary Pat (new)

Mary Pat | 2186 comments Thank You Secret Santa!!

Can't wait to start reading A Darker Shade of Magic by V.E. Schwab! It was next on my list - excellent choice!

message 3: by Cassandra (new)

Cassandra | 5832 comments Nice, Mary Pat! I hope you enjoy it. I really love the world of that series with the magic system and the multiple Londons.

message 4: by Kara (new)

Kara (karaayako) | 3977 comments For those buying your Secret Santa a physical book from Amazon.com, you can use the code 25OFFBOOK to get 25% off the book you buy by Dec 14.

message 5: by SibylM (new)

SibylM (sibyldiane) | 223 comments Thank you Secret Santa for Beauty Queens! I have been dying to read this book and I am so excited and happy to get it.

message 6: by Kara (new)

Kara (karaayako) | 3977 comments It's always so exciting to start seeing books being received!

There are a small number of you who have not yet received messages with your Santee information--don't worry! I had to wait on a few people to get back to me, and I will be sending the remaining messages tomorrow.

message 7: by Cassandra (new)

Cassandra | 5832 comments That's a bummer, I just purchased my book using Amazon earlier today. Oh well, I'll just have to use it for other book gifting. :)

message 8: by Winter, Group Reads (new)

Winter (winter9) | 4630 comments Received The Nightingale!!! It's PERFECT, thank you!! I actually planned on buying and reading it this year, but I never got around to it, so this is perfect!

message 9: by Alicia (new)

Alicia | 167 comments Thank you, Secret Santa (Winter)! I have been dying to read 11/22/63 but there's been a super long waiting list at the library. I can't wait to dig in! Happy holidays!

message 10: by Winter, Group Reads (new)

Winter (winter9) | 4630 comments Alicia wrote: "Thank you, Secret Santa (Winter)! I have been dying to read 11/22/63 but there's been a super long waiting list at the library. I can't wait to dig in! Happy holidays!"

You're welcome! I'm doing a complete works challenge for him myself, so I'm really in King mode myself ^^

(still very curious about the 1001 books you must read before you die, are you doing the list? You had a lot of the books on your tbr;) )

message 11: by Mary Pat (last edited Dec 11, 2015 07:47AM) (new)

Mary Pat | 2186 comments Cassandra wrote: "Nice, Mary Pat! I hope you enjoy it. I really love the world of that series with the magic system and the multiple Londons."

So were you my Secret Santa? If so, lucky me! This kind of book is right up my alley!

Happy Holidays to you and yours!

message 12: by Mary Pat (new)

Mary Pat | 2186 comments Alicia wrote: "Thank you, Secret Santa (Winter)! I have been dying to read 11/22/63 but there's been a super long waiting list at the library. I can't wait to dig in! Happy holidays!"

OH! Great book! I hope you love it as much as I did! I had the extra fun of being intimately familiar with his setting. While the names are different, the mill and the diner and many other elements have real life counter parts that I drive past several times a week. I have actually caught myself looking for other things from that book as if they will be there! :)

message 13: by Winter, Group Reads (new)

Winter (winter9) | 4630 comments My Santa is one Maria, but there is so many, so not really sure, but thank you Maria! Looking so forward to read it, not sure this year or next, but it will either be a great read after the four I have to finish before christmas or it will be an amazing start on the new year ^^

message 14: by Brandi (new)

Brandi | 61 comments A Thank You shout-out to my Secret Santa, Leslie Campbell! I haven't read this book yet, but I'm definitely looking forward to it! One of my best friends recommended this book to me forever ago, and weirdly enough, I was just singing along to the 10th anniversary edition of 'One Day More!' in my car the other day. Thank you again!

message 15: by Kara (new)

Kara (karaayako) | 3977 comments Brandi, you're the very first person to receive a physical book! That's so exciting. :)

message 16: by Kara (last edited Dec 11, 2015 12:27PM) (new)

Kara (karaayako) | 3977 comments All Santee messages have been sent! If you signed up (and filled out the form) and have not received a message with the name of your Santee, please let me know.

And a reminder, when you send your book, please message me so that I can mark you down.

message 17: by Leslie Ann (new)

Leslie Ann | 208 comments Brandi, you will love it!!!

message 18: by Cassandra (new)

Cassandra | 5832 comments Mary Pat - I am not your Secret Santa... The mystery continues.

message 19: by Karina (new)

Karina (karinargh) | 807 comments I'm Mary Kat's santa. :) And so, so pleased you liked your book. Giving people books is one of my favourite things to do!

(As for why this reveal came late - I had sort of assumed we were meant to maintain the secrecy, and then I saw Kara's answer about it in the 'questions for mods'-thread. So yeah!)

message 20: by Maria (new)

Maria (mariah90602) | 1804 comments Winter wrote: "My Santa is one Maria, but there is so many, so not really sure, but thank you Maria! Looking so forward to read it, not sure this year or next, but it will either be a great read after the four I ..."

That Maria would be me! Hope you enjoy it!

message 21: by Jodi (new)

Jodi (readinbooks) | 1922 comments A huge thank you to my Secret Santa. I am so excited to read The Martian. I have looked at it, and looked at it, and looked at it, but never bought it. I didn't watch the movie when it came out because I wanted to read the book first.

message 22: by Megan, Challenges (new)

Megan (lahairoi) | 6666 comments SibylM wrote: "Thank you Secret Santa for Beauty Queens! I have been dying to read this book and I am so excited and happy to get it."

You're welcome, Sibyl! I hope you enjoy it!

message 23: by Karina (new)

Karina (karinargh) | 807 comments Oh, my goodness! Santa-Jodi brought me TWO books! John Dies at the End AND The Swarm! Thank you so much!

message 24: by Winter, Group Reads (new)

Winter (winter9) | 4630 comments So nice to read all this books people are receiving! What could be better than getting to give books away ^^ Christmas before christmas, perfect :)

message 25: by ZaraS (new)

ZaraS  *book reviewer | 2365 comments Hopefully next year I'll be in a financial position to join you all in the fun of receiving a book or books from a Secret Santa.

message 26: by Jenn (new)

Jenn | 280 comments Jodi wrote: "A huge thank you to my Secret Santa. I am so excited to read The Martian. I have looked at it, and looked at it, and looked at it, but never bought it. I didn't watch the movie when..."

You're welcome Jodi!

message 27: by Caro (new)

Caro (karopi) | 992 comments I just got The Nightingale from Verenice!! So excited! I love historical fiction and this is just right my alley!!! Can't wait to start reading!!!! Thanks a lot Verenice for this excellent book!

message 28: by Winter, Group Reads (new)

Winter (winter9) | 4630 comments Caro wrote: "I just got The Nightingale from Verenice!! So excited! I love historical fiction and this is just right my alley!!! Can't wait to start reading!!!! Thanks a lot Verenice for this ex..."

I also got that one, right up my alley too, so I was very happy ^^

message 29: by Kara (new)

Kara (karaayako) | 3977 comments My book club that meets in real life also does Secret Santa (because it's my favorite thing ever), and I gave my Santee The Nightingale this year too!

message 30: by Winter, Group Reads (new)

Winter (winter9) | 4630 comments Kara wrote: "My book club that meets in real life also does Secret Santa (because it's my favorite thing ever), and I gave my Santee The Nightingale this year too!"

That's so nice! We have just started a reading sircle my sister, me and her friends, maybe we can do it too next year :)

message 31: by Mary Pat (new)

Mary Pat | 2186 comments Karina wrote: "I'm Mary Kat's santa. :) And so, so pleased you liked your book. Giving people books is one of my favourite things to do!

(As for why this reveal came late - I had sort of assumed we were meant to..."

Mystery solved! :) Thank you so much for the excellent choice, Karina!

I am really loving this Secret Santa thing! So much fun to see everyone "open" their presents!

message 32: by Jodi (new)

Jodi (readinbooks) | 1922 comments Karina wrote: "Oh, my goodness! Santa-Jodi brought me TWO books! John Dies at the End AND The Swarm! Thank you so much!"

You are welcome Karina! I hope you like them. I read John Dies at the End last year and really enjoyed it. It is a weird book. I just bought part two for myself. I would love to hear what you thin of your books when you read them.

message 33: by Cassandra (new)

Cassandra | 5832 comments I've never heard of John Dies at the End but it sounds super interesting! I added it to my to-read list.

message 34: by Alison (new)

Alison G. (agriff22) | 1083 comments I believe I received Nora Roberts book Night Moves from my Secret Santa. Its hard for me to tell what books are new, but I don't remember buying that one. Thank you to whoever sent it. And if its not it, let me know and I'll keep looking.

message 35: by Jenn (new)

Jenn | 280 comments I just received my book from Allison, Into the Americas. Thanks, I'm sure I'll learn something interesting from this one!

message 36: by Patricia (new)

Patricia (patea) | 172 comments Bilqees wrote: "A very big Thank You to Patricia for "Steppenwolf" cant wait to start reading :)"

I hope you enjoy it. I'd be happy to compare notes later on :-)

message 37: by Nik (new)

Nik (bleepnik) | 852 comments Thrilled to receive a book I very recently added to my TBR list, Ready Player One. I have a loooooot of books on the list, and somehow my brilliant Secret Santa selected one of the ones I'm most excited to start reading. Thanks so much, Amanda (Lappin)! <3

message 38: by Sheila (new)

Sheila | 103 comments I received Fool from my Super Secret Santa. I am excited to try a new author. Thanks!

message 39: by Claire (new)

Claire  (claire6452) | 711 comments I'm having as much fun seeing what everyone is getting as I did picking out a book to send, and waiting to see what comes to me! All the Secret Santas seem to have done a great job. It looks like everyone is really happy with their books!

message 40: by Maria (new)

Maria (mariah90602) | 1804 comments Thank you so much to my Secret Santa Sheila. Just received The Hunger Games. Looking forward to reading this. It is on my TBR List.

message 41: by Amanda (new)

Amanda  | 12 comments Nik wrote: "Thrilled to receive a book I very recently added to my TBR list, Ready Player One. I have a loooooot of books on the list, and somehow my brilliant Secret Santa selected one of the o..."

That makes me happy, Nik! Happy reading!!! :)

message 42: by Leslie Ann (new)

Leslie Ann | 208 comments Thank you Lisa for the book After You. I am looking forward to reading it!!!!

message 43: by Winter, Group Reads (new)

Winter (winter9) | 4630 comments This thread is giving me fuzzy christmas feelings ^^

Lisa (LiteraryLatinax) (literarylatinax) Leslie wrote: "Thank you Lisa for the book After You. I am looking forward to reading it!!!!"

Your welcome Leslie. Happy Holidays :)

message 45: by Kara (new)

Kara (karaayako) | 3977 comments Winter, I totally agree. I love watching everyone receive their books!

Santas: you have one more week to get your book in the mail! If you are shipping internationally, please try to do it sooner rather than later because there will be a delay.

message 46: by Robin (new)

Robin | 27 comments I received my book today! The complete Vegetarian Cookbook! I love it! My Secret Santa also sent me a bookmark with four book recommendations on it! I am looking them up now! I will add them to my reading list for next year! Thank You Secret Santa!
Robin

message 47: by Jennie (new)

Jennie Randolph | 2 comments Thank you so much to my Secret Santa for Eleanor & Park and Never Look Back!! Can't wait to dig into them both - 4 more days until winter break! (Not that I'm counting) :)

message 48: by Megan, Challenges (new)

Megan (lahairoi) | 6666 comments Thank you so much to my Secret Santa! I received The Forgotten Recipe by Amy Clipston. Cannot wait for my Christmas vacation to tuck into it!

message 49: by Cassandra (new)

Cassandra | 5832 comments Thank you to my Santa for TWO books! Into the Wild and Different Seasons. I can't wait to read them. :)

message 50: by Alisia (new)

Alisia (meniali) | 248 comments Cassandra wrote: "Thank you to my Santa for TWO books! Into the Wild and Different Seasons. I can't wait to read them. :)"

You're welcome Cassandra! It was me :). You have no idea how hard it was to not send you a stack of books! I got you Into the Wild because it appeared to be on your TBR the longest and Different Seasons because we had just talked about it.

« previous 1 3