DFW ASL Book Club discussion

Book Suggestions > Book suggestions for Jan 9-Feb 20

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Betty Joan (new)

Betty Joan (thebejo) | 25 comments Mod
Please suggest a book for our third reading! Include a short summary (pulled from amazon or wikipedia if you haven't read it) and specify the genre as well as page count. You can link the book into the comments. This will be added into the poll. =)

message 2: by Betty Joan (new)

Betty Joan (thebejo) | 25 comments Mod
The Handmaid's Tale (1985) is a dystopian novel, a work of speculative fiction,[1] by Canadian author Margaret Atwood.[2][3] Set in the near future, in a totalitarian Christian theocracy which has overthrown the United States government, The Handmaid's Tale explores themes of women in subjugation and the various means by which they gain agency.

message 3: by Charlotte (new)

Charlotte | 16 comments I wouldn't mind reading the Handmaid's Tale...I have heard a lot of people recommend it. But, in the spirit of democracy, I will suggest two other books.

The Tiger's Wife (which I read a few years ago) is one of the rare books I rated five stars. Most books I really enjoy, I give only 4 stars. That fifth star is only reserved for books I want to read AGAIN. Because some books can be enjoyed over and over. And this is one of them. If that weren't amazing enough...the author, Tea Obreht, is a very young lady, not yet 30 years old. http://www.teaobreht.com/ I suggest this book also because I did not understand all of it when I read it, and I would relish the opportunity to discuss it with others, finding their opinions on the meaning of the book.

The second book I will recommend is: Like Water for Chocolate, because I LOVE that movie and have wanted to read the book for a long, long, time. I keep putting it off, because of the stupid reason that I've seen the movie. I want to read the book because almost always, the book is better than the movie. So, if I love the movie, I should love the book even more.

I love this story because of the Mexican flavor, the cooking, and the incredible tragedy of two lovers, separated by culture and circumstance...and the complexity of all the different characters, and the setting within a family, and especially, the ending.
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/6...

Charlotte

message 4: by Hannah (new)

Hannah Mann | 3 comments I'd vote for the Handmaid's Tale too. That was the book I had wanted to read before The Girl on the Train was chosen.

However, just so we can have other ideas, I'm also intrigued by the title and description for One Hundred Years of Solitude:

One Hundred Years of Solitude (Spanish: Cien años de soledad) is a 1967 novel by Colombian author Gabriel García Márquez that tells the multi-generational story of the Buendía family, whose patriarch, José Arcadio Buendía, founds the town of Macondo, the metaphoric Colombia.

The magical realist style and thematic substance of One Hundred Years of Solitude established it as an important, representative novel of the literary Latin American Boom of the 1960s and 1970s... (from Wikipedia)

message 5: by Lauren (last edited Jan 03, 2016 07:50PM) (new)

Lauren (elle_emm_dee) | 12 comments I too would vote for The Handmaid's Tale, BUT in the belief of the democratic ideology I will submit my own choice read. Considering we will be reading over Valentine's Day (insert severe shudder here) I suggest reading Aziz Ansari's "MODERN ROMANCE."

Modern Romance: For years, Aziz Ansari has been aiming his comic insight at modern romance, but for Modern Romance, the book, he decided he needed to take things to another level. He teamed up with NYU sociologist Eric Klinenberg and designed a massive research project, including hundreds of interviews and focus groups conducted everywhere from Tokyo to Buenos Aires to Wichita. They analyzed behavioral data and surveys and created their own online research forum on Reddit, which drew thousands of messages. They enlisted the world’s leading social scientists, including Andrew Cherlin, Eli Finkel, Helen Fisher, Sheena Iyengar, Barry Schwartz, Sherry Turkle, and Robb Willer. The result is unlike any social science or humor book we’ve seen before.

In Modern Romance, Ansari combines his irreverent humor with cutting-edge social science to give us an unforgettable tour of our new romantic world.

message 6: by Nida (new)

Nida | 2 comments My input may be too late and I am fine with adding my book recommendations to the March's poll instead of February's poll. I have two book recommendations:

(1) Rubyfruit Jungle by Rita Mae Brown. I read it during college and loved it! Would love to read it again.

Summary from Wiki:

"The novel focuses on Molly Bolt, the adopted daughter of a poor family, who possesses remarkable beauty and who is aware of her lesbianism from early childhood. Her relationship with her mother is rocky, and at a young age her mother, referred to as "Carrie," informs Molly that she is not her own biological child but a "bastard." Molly has her first same-sex sexual relationship in the sixth grade with her girlfriend Leota B. Bisland, and then again in a Florida high school, where she has another sexual relationship with another friend, the school's head cheerleader Carolyn Simpson, who willingly has sex with Molly but rejects the "lesbian" label. Molly also engages in sex with males, including her cousin Leroy when the two were younger. Her father, Carl, dies when she is in her junior year of high school.

In a combination of her strong-willed nature and disdain for Carrie, Molly pushes herself to excel in high school, winning a full scholarship to the University of Florida. Unlike Carrie, Carl had always supported Molly's goals and education. However, when Molly's relationship with her alcoholic roommate is discovered, she is denied a renewal of her scholarship. Possessing little money, she moves to New York to pursue an education in filmmaking. Upon reaching New York, she realizes that the rubyfruit is maybe not as delicious and varied as she had dreamed within the concrete jungle."

(2) The Buffalo Creek Disaster by Gerald M. Stern. I was recently given this book for Christmas/Holidays from a very good friend of mine. Very curious to check it out!

Summary from Amazon:

"One Saturday morning in February 1972, an impoundment dam owned by the Pittston Coal Company burst, sending a 130 million gallon, 25 foot tidal wave of water, sludge, and debris crashing into southern West Virginia's Buffalo Creek hollow. It was one of the deadliest floods in U.S. history. 125 people were killed instantly, more than 1,000 were injured, and over 4,000 were suddenly homeless. Instead of accepting the small settlements offered by the coal company's insurance offices, a few hundred of the survivors banded together to sue. This is the story of their triumph over incredible odds and corporate irresponsibility, as told by Gerald M. Stern, who as a young lawyer and took on the case and won."