2021 & 2022 Reading Challenge discussion

ARCHIVE 2015 > Lulu's 20 books for 2015

Comments Showing 1-19 of 19 (19 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lulu (last edited Dec 18, 2015 12:54AM) (new)

Lulu | 9 comments I just discovered this group, but I've been participated in my personal reading challenge since the beginning of the year. It seems I can set the bar a little higher next year.

The books I've read in chronological order:
1. Scandal Wears Satin by Loretta Chase
2. The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks by Rebecca Skloot
3. Bossypants by Tina Fey
4. Vixen in Velvet by Loretta Chase
5. American Gods by Neil Gaiman
6. The Goldfinch by Donna Tartt
7. Me Talk Pretty One Day by David Sedaris
8. Big Little Lies by Liane Moriarty
9. The Girl on the Train by Paula Hawkins
10. The Brief Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao by Junot Diaz
11. So You've Been Publicly Shamed by Jon Ronson
12. Americanah by Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie
13. The Handmaid's Tale by Margaret Atwood
14. Where'd You Go, Bernadette by Maria Semple
15. The Namesake by Jhumpa Lahiri
16. Not That Kind of Girl: A Young Woman Tells You What She's "Learned" by Lena Dunham
17. The Virgin Suicides by Jeffrey Eugenides
18. Love in the Time of Cholera by Gabriel Garcia Marquez
19. Hyperbole and a Half: Unfortunate Situations, Flawed Coping Mechanisms, Mayhem, and Other Things That Happened by Allie Brosh
20. To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee
21. The Martian by Andy Weir
22. The Rosie Project by Graeme Simsion
23. Never Let Me Go by Kazuo Ishiguro
24. Modern Romance by Aziz Ansari

message 2: by Cassandra (new)

Cassandra | 5832 comments Welcome to the group, Lulu! Great job on your personal challenge. It looks like you've read a lot of good books this year. Which ones were your favorites?

message 3: by ZaraS (new)

ZaraS  *book reviewer | 2365 comments Welcome Lulu. You've done a brilliant job so far in your goal. I look forward to seeing what you acomplish next year. Good luck.

message 4: by Lulu (new)

Lulu | 9 comments Thank you, Cassandra and Zara! I'm glad to finally find this group!
I love the writing of The Goldfinch. The Handmaid's Tale was a powerful read; up till now, I can still feel the strong impact of the book. Then there's The Martian, which was so much fun. Overall, this has been a good year of reading for me :)

message 5: by Lulu (new)

Lulu | 9 comments 23. Never Let Me Go by Kazuo Ishiguro

message 6: by Winter, Group Reads (new)

Winter (winter9) | 4546 comments Lulu wrote: "23. Never Let Me Go by Kazuo Ishiguro"

What did you think?

message 7: by Lulu (new)

Lulu | 9 comments Comparing to the film adaptation, IMHO this is a rare case when film fares better than book. The donor-clone setup has so many glaring loopholes. Stripping to its core, I find it's a coming-of-age tale with collective mentality not unlike the ones in East Asia. The fatalist mindset is rather depressing.

message 8: by ZaraS (new)

ZaraS  *book reviewer | 2365 comments Good luck Lulu

message 9: by Winter, Group Reads (new)

Winter (winter9) | 4546 comments Lulu wrote: "Comparing to the film adaptation, IMHO this is a rare case when film fares better than book. The donor-clone setup has so many glaring loopholes. Stripping to its core, I find it's a coming-of-age ..."

Interesting to hear! For me it was actually the best book I read this year, I just fell in love with it. But these type of depressive books are very up my alley :)
I watched the movie too, but I liked the book more. I thought the movie left out too much.

Do you have a favorite book for this year?

message 10: by Lulu (new)

Lulu | 9 comments Winter wrote: "Interesting to hear! For me it was actually the best book I read this year, I just fell in love with it. But these type of depressive books are very up my alley ..."

I had hoped I would like the book, as I , too, generally I like somber films, books, and music :) It's pity it just doesn't connect with me. So far my 2015 favorite is the Goldfinch, I love Donna Tartt's descriptive style.

message 11: by Winter, Group Reads (new)

Winter (winter9) | 4546 comments Well can't like every book :)

I love Donna Tartt! Reading the last one right now in fact! Have you read The Secret History?

message 12: by Lulu (new)

Lulu | 9 comments Winter wrote: "Well can't like every book :)

I love Donna Tartt! Reading the last one right now in fact! Have you read The Secret History?"

I have the book in my kindle, and plan to read it in 2016 :)

message 13: by Winter, Group Reads (new)

Winter (winter9) | 4546 comments Nice:)

message 14: by Lulu (new)

Lulu | 9 comments 24. Modern Romance by Aziz Ansari

message 15: by Jackie B. - (new)

Jackie B. - Death by Tsundoku (reiwing2040) | 1343 comments Welcome to the group, Lulu! You seem to have a great breadth of genres on your list. Americanah is on my short list for January 2016. What did you think?

message 16: by Tabea (new)

Tabea (belovedpages) | 63 comments Hey Lulu and congrats on your challenge :) What'd think about 'The Virgin Suicides' ? I've been thinking about picking this one up sometime next year :)

message 17: by Lulu (new)

Lulu | 9 comments Jackie B. wrote: "Welcome to the group, Lulu! You seem to have a great breadth of genres on your list. Americanah is on my short list for January 2016. What did you think?"

Hi Jackie! Without revealing the story, I'd say I enjoyed the first half of Americanah, but not quite as much the latter. I learned more about modern Nigerian society, thanks to this book.

message 18: by Lulu (new)

Lulu | 9 comments Bea wrote: "Hey Lulu and congrats on your challenge :) What'd think about 'The Virgin Suicides' ? I've been thinking about picking this one up sometime next year :)"

Hey Bea! Jeffrey Eugenides is one of my favorite authors, so my opinion is undoubtedly biased. I love both the book and the film. I'm also in awe of his way of transforming a mundane suburb into a poetic, somber world.

message 19: by Jackie B. - (new)

Jackie B. - Death by Tsundoku (reiwing2040) | 1343 comments Oooh, that sounds great! I'm trying to actively learn more about the world through literature this year. Books which explore the culture and society of different cultures are surely on my list. I'll check it out.

Thanks for the quick recommendation!