Sci-Fi Group Book Club discussion

Archived Group Reads > Cat's Cradle

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Damon, ZARDOZ (new)

Damon (drasmodeus) | 171 comments Mod
For December

message 2: by Tobias (new)

Tobias Langhoff (tobiasvl) | 16 comments Love this book. I've read it twice, but perhaps I'll read it again now.

message 3: by Lynda (new)

Lynda Really loved this book. I feel like there is a great sub genre of Sci Fi in this time period I like to call post-Atomic paranoia brought on by the Cold War. This book in particular felt a welcome voice to that sub genre. Both mocking it and acknowledging it.

Vonnegut certainly has a biting wit, and breezy style. I do feel like I'd like to read it again. It's one of the books I'd wish I had bought instead of borrowed. I feel like there is more to be mined from the story.

The idea that "truth" is just a different kind of lie is such a great idea. Bokonon is perhaps an elaborate more complete lie, then say the patriotism and Hoosier-centric pride of the Indiana couple. Therefore is it more truthful? Is there a truth that isn't a lie?

Also, that ending...just great.

message 4: by Lynda (new)

Lynda I don't know if I read Vonnegut's truth/lie as the tension of authenticity. It seems to me that a Bokonon wouldn't concern themselves with a truth that is congruent with the world around themselves and would consider their own "inner truth", so much BS. In fact...that's what I think "truth" is in this narrative...BS (which I guess is a certain type of authenticity).