Coffee & Books discussion

Discussion Archives > December 2015: A Spool of Blue Thread

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Rachel Jorquera , Moderator (new)

Rachel Jorquera  (racheljorquera) | 2955 comments Mod
A Spool of Blue Thread discussion!

message 2: by Gail (new)

Gail | 57 comments I just finished reading this book. I was hoping to get some insight from other readers. I'm not sure if I liked the book or not.

message 3: by Alex (new)

Alex (alexandramjf) | 30 comments Gail wrote: "I just finished reading this book. I was hoping to get some insight from other readers. I'm not sure if I liked the book or not."

I'm almost done with this, Gail! I'll update as soon as I'm finished. I didn't love the book when I started, but then it picked up for me. I'll circle back once I finish up.

message 4: by Alex (new)

Alex (alexandramjf) | 30 comments Just finished this! I started out not loving this at all and looking to others for motivation to keep pushing through, but none of my friends or online community had read it, so I plowed on blindly anyway (I've only ever given up on two books).

It was weird for me. If I had to compartmentalize this book and assign it a genre of sorts, I would put it in the same group as A Tree Grows in Brooklyn. It's a book about everything and nothing at the same time. Like A Tree Grows in Brooklyn, there's no one plot driving the story but rather a family, but the big difference between the two books was that I cared a lot more for the characters in ATGiB than in ASoBT.

Once I got into it, I enjoyed it more, but I'm not sure I ever really fell in love with it. There was only one character I really liked a lot (Red), and in the end I just felt bad for him.

I wanted there to be a conclusive ending, but then it just sort of fell flat.

message 5: by Gail (new)

Gail | 57 comments Alex wrote: "Just finished this! ..."

Thanks.
I think you captured my take on the novel. Red seemed to be the calm center to the circle of some more / some less dysfunctional main characters.