What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

Query abandoned by poster > Old fantasy/fairy-tail book (possibly children's fantasy) involving a child turning into a sea-baby (!?)

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Karthik (new)

Karthik I read this book ages back and didn't really understand much then. I remember the main character was this child who starts off cleaning chimneys in manors. At some point, he escapes (or otherwise leaves) and later ends up in the sea in the company of a sea-fairy/goddess (oh God, so childish). I remember the child turns stage-by-stage into an infant of the ocean.

The book has these trippy illustrations and the story plays out in these surreal sequences worthy of Lewis Carroll. Also, the book was by no means modern., maybe early 20th century.

I remember I couldn't get through the book when I was 12, but it's been bothering me now, 13 years later. :P

message 2: by Donna (last edited Dec 06, 2015 10:13PM) (new)

Donna (adje8795) | 8 comments I tthink I know what book you mean. I read a story about a child becoming a sea baby when I was young. I have the series, but don't have it with me. Am in the process of moving. i will keep an eye out for them, but I am sure they're out of print.

message 3: by Sue (last edited Dec 06, 2015 10:27PM) (new)

Sue Elleker | 783 comments The Water Babies by Charles Kingsley. The boy is Tom, and there are 2 characters called Mrs Do-As-You-Would-Be-Done-By and Mrs Be-Done-By-As-You-Did.

message 4: by Kris (new)

Kris | 34460 comments Mod
Link for Sue's suggestion - The Water Babies by Charles Kingsley.

message 5: by GracieKat (new)

GracieKat | 126 comments I found it on the kindle for free. Not sure if the format or scan is good, I haven't read it yet and the Gutenberg ones can vary in quality

message 6: by GracieKat (new)

GracieKat | 126 comments Here's a link for the free one:http://www.amazon.com/Water-Babies-Ch...

It's also a really good movie

message 7: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 38268 comments Mod
Karthik, are you still looking for this or did you find it? Did you check out "The Water Babies?"

message 8: by Rainbowheart (new)

Rainbowheart | 16964 comments Still looking, Karthik?

message 9: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 38268 comments Mod
Lobstergirl wrote: "Karthik, are you still looking for this or did you find it? Did you check out "The Water Babies?""

No response, moving to Abandoned.

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

The Water Babies (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Charles Kingsley (other topics)