The Book Basilisks discussion

General > 2016 goals

Comments Showing 1-24 of 24 (24 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Bhavya (new)

Bhavya  (saibiscus) So the new year is getting closer and closer. Has anyone thought about goals for next year? Book related or not. Did you guys make your goodreads challenge?

message 2: by Diana S (last edited Dec 06, 2015 09:35PM) (new)

Diana S I"m going to do a lot of re-reads and reading by authors in 2016.
I would like to re-read the Fallen series, Lunar Chronicles series, Twilight series, flavia de luce series. Some authors are Sarah Addison Allen, Sarah Jio, Anne Rice.

message 3: by Sara (new)

Sara | 91 comments I'm planning on reading 120 to 200 books hopefully!

message 4: by Ayunda (new)

Ayunda (ayundabs) That's quite a high goal, Sara!

I'm thinking of increasing my goal for next year... this year my Goodreads challenge was 49 books so I think I'll make the 2016 goal to 55 books.

I'm looking forward to rereading more books next year too, Diana! :D

message 5: by Julia (new)

Julia | 53 comments My goal is going to be to read at least 2 books a month. With school a lot of the time I won't have the energy or the time to sit down and read, so I wanna try to read at least 2 non-required books a month :)

message 6: by Chelsea (new)

Chelsea slytherink (slytherink) I want to read between 60 or 70 books. During the school year, I barely have any time to read, but in Summer, I can read tons of books :) I would also like to participate in a challenge where I have to read certain books, eg "a book with a colour in the title"

message 7: by Ayunda (new)

Ayunda (ayundabs) I love challenges! I'm in a Goodreads group called Monthly Challenges and it's really fun. Check it out here: https://www.goodreads.com/group/show/...
I plan on doing more readathons. I've only had one but they seem super fun and make your motivation to read higher.

message 8: by Dyah (new)

Dyah (fdyahs) | 2 comments I'm planning on reading just 25 books next year. School's been busy today, I don't think I have time to read many books. So... yeah.

(Oh, and I also love challenges!)

message 9: by Trisha (new)

Trisha (pillowfortbooks) | 10 comments Hi everyone. My goal for this year is 50 books, but I don't ever hold myself to these year-long reading challenges. But it's nice to shoot for something. Mostly I just want to read at least some of the books I've been saying I'll read for years.

message 10: by Holly (new)

Holly (nutfreenerd) My goal is to read 24 books this year, or two books a month. It's not a very high goal and I'm pretty sure I'll be able to reach it quite quickly, but I wanted to give myself some wiggle room because this is my first year of college and I'm still getting used to managing my time.

Also, this group should host a readathon! I think it would be super fun! :)

message 11: by Ayunda (new)

Ayunda (ayundabs) I'm on my first year of uni too, Holly! I was quite afraid I won't be able to organize my time well between studying and reading as well.

Oooh excellent idea! I love readathons :D

message 12: by Danielle (new)

Danielle (iamhorriblylimited) | 55 comments My goal this year is to read 100 and I think I've had the 100 books a year reading goal for 2 or 3 years now.

message 13: by Ayunda (new)

Ayunda (ayundabs) Sounds great, Danielle! My goal is only 50 books but I am quite a slow reader hehehe... Any tips for us to read more in a year?

message 14: by Danielle (new)

Danielle (iamhorriblylimited) | 55 comments Unfortunately, no, but I do consume books in all formats such as graphic novels and audio-books which can sometimes be quicker than reading the print version.
However, my philosophy is just to read and the number isn't as important as how much you enjoy those books or reading itself. :)

message 15: by mollusskka (new)

mollusskka | 58 comments Nice philosophy Danielle. I always try to set my mind to it. But sometimes i am overwhelmed by my reading schedules in goodreads. Like it forces me to catch up to it. (This is my first reading challenge, by the way) So once in a while I ended up reading thin books I didn't really wanna read by then. Now I try to ignore my reading challenge and enjoy the book I really want to read.

message 16: by Sara (new)

Sara | 91 comments Same Eka, especially since I've seen a moderately high goal for myself but am super busy, so trying to catch up to how many books I'm supposed to read a month was too much stress so now I just read when I can and hopefully I'll catch up to it in summer.

message 17: by mollusskka (new)

mollusskka | 58 comments Yes, I think I set my goal too high, too, Sara. It looked so easy at first, but now... I am hopeless already. Hahaha.
But good luck for you, Sara.

message 18: by Danielle (new)

Danielle (iamhorriblylimited) | 55 comments Eka Herlyanti wrote: "Nice philosophy Danielle. I always try to set my mind to it. But sometimes i am overwhelmed by my reading schedules in goodreads. Like it forces me to catch up to it. (This is my first reading chal..."

That's great! I think the challenges too can be overwhelming and turn reading into more of a chore to keep up with the pace you've set which can then become frustrating.
Good luck with your challenge Eka and thanks for the friend request. :)

message 19: by mollusskka (new)

mollusskka | 58 comments You're welcome, Danielle.
The book you're holding in your propic, I just bought it, too. But mine is in Indonesian version. Seems melancholic, this book. I bought it coz i remember the character in Mary and Max movie. So sad.

message 20: by Danielle (new)

Danielle (iamhorriblylimited) | 55 comments I LOVE A Man Called Ove so much and I hope you do too! It is melancholic and a tear jerker, but so very good.

message 21: by mollusskka (new)

mollusskka | 58 comments Wow, can't wait to read it. :)

message 22: by Danielle (new)

Danielle (iamhorriblylimited) | 55 comments I can't wait to hear what you think of it. That same author also has another book being published next month.

message 23: by Ayunda (new)

Ayunda (ayundabs) I used to be super pressured to read more because of the Goodreads challenge as well. But I try to justify myself if I read a small number of books with the quality of the books - it's much better to read 5 amazing books in a year than 100 books that aren't very good.

message 24: by mollusskka (new)

mollusskka | 58 comments I'm gonna read it soon after I finish one of my currently reading books, Danielle. :)

That's a great advice, Ayunda. Especially for my next year challenge : )