Talk of the Town discussion

Carry On (Simon Snow, #1)
This topic is about Carry On
#4A: Carry On > Magic phrases!

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by PB (new) - rated it 4 stars

PB (darlingdarcy) | 168 comments Mod
My favorite thing about the book is the originality in the magic phrases. I love that idea! Why didn't I ever think of it, kind of idea.

I love that you can make your own magic words.

And it's also why the break-up scene is my favorite scene. Part of what makes it compelling is when Snow unintentionally coats his words with magic.

"Answer me!
It comes out an order. It comes out drenched in magic, which shouldn't even be possible - because those aren't magic words, that isn't a spell.

Still, I see the compulsion in Agatha's face. "No," I say, pushing magic into my voice. "You don't have to!"
Her face falls from compulsion to disgust. She backs away from me.

Can you imagine having that much power? Can you imagine how much of a difficulty it caused in Simon's relationships?

Can you think of your own magical phrases and what they can do? This should be such a fun thread!

Matthew (funkygman007) | 14 comments You snooze, you lose - saves me from having to reach over for the snooze button in the morning

Look out stomach, here it comes! - So I can eat as much of whatever without any negative effects - especially useful at a buffet!

Trying to think of more . . .

message 3: by PB (new) - rated it 4 stars

PB (darlingdarcy) | 168 comments Mod
Matthew wrote: "You snooze, you lose - saves me from having to reach over for the snooze button in the morning

Look out stomach, here it comes! - So I can eat as much of whatever without any negative effects - es..."

Those are really great!!! Thanks for sharing them, Matthew!

I came up with some, now that you started this train of thought again...

Brain freeze! when you actually want to hold a thought and come back for it later, so I don't have to write anything down.

Gatsby's car when I want to turn anything yellow, just for some odd reason.

Mary, did you know so I can let someone read my mind for a moment.