Horror Aficionados discussion

Group Reads > December 2015 Group Read #2: Suicide Forest

Comments Showing 1-36 of 36 (36 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jon Recluse (new)

Jon Recluse | 12043 comments Mod
Here's your discussion spot for December's runner-up Group Read, Suicide Forest.

Y'all know the rules.
Have fun, use spoilers and play nice.

message 2: by Brett (new)

Brett Talley | 235 comments Going to pick this one up and take part in the group read. Read his, The Catacombs, and loved it. Very nice guy, too.

message 3: by Latasha (new)

Latasha (latasha513) | 10843 comments Mod
I might join in this one, just gotta make sure I have time to squeeze it in.

message 4: by kohey (new)

kohey I'd be happy to join you when I’m ready(^^)

message 5: by Quentin (last edited Dec 07, 2015 10:24AM) (new)

Quentin Wallace (quentinwallace) | 155 comments Im going to read this one after Krampus. I've had this one for a while but hadn't got around to reading it, so glad the group is giving me a reason to finally read it! I saw a documentary about the real suicide forest...that place is spooky as hell! They are always pulling bodies out of there!

message 6: by Randy (new)

Randy | 103 comments Vice.com has a pretty crazy mini-doc on this suicide forest. Just search for it on their website, definitely worth your 15 minutes.

message 7: by Troy (new)

Troy Thompson | 24 comments I'm going to read this too after Krampus.

Seems like a spooky premise.

Don't know the author or any of his books but apparently this is the first book in series called "World's Scariest Places". There are 3 books in the series so far. The Catacombs, which was mentioned earlier, is actually #2. Don't know if they are connected in any way but might have to check them out if this book is good.

Won't get to this until later this month though.

message 8: by Brett (new)

Brett Talley | 235 comments They aren't connected, other than by the idea that these are stories that take place in the world's scariest places. Catacombs was very good, and I am enjoying Suicide Forrest as well. Basically, the guy is very good at taking a group of people, sticking them in a bad situation in a place that's already creepy, and ramping up the tension.

message 9: by Harvey (new)

Harvey Click | 82 comments I read this a couple months ago and will join in after the rest of you have gotten a good start.

message 10: by Tiffany (new)

Tiffany King (tifking73) | 80 comments I'm going to squeeze this in among my already crowded "currently reading" list.

message 11: by Pixelina (new)

Pixelina | 63 comments I watched a movie taking place in the forest of the book, obviously a film with a lot of supernatural and gore added to it, but the first few chapters in the book and the first minutes of the film both have a kind of dreamy, disturbing quality to them. I just hope the book is going to be better then the film.

message 12: by Katy (new)

Katy Mann | 900 comments Cher wrote: "Wow, that got exciting fast! I've finished chapter 6 now, so just under a quarter of the book. Anyone else get that far yet?"

I'm about one third through. He's building a creepy atmosphere.

message 13: by Latasha (new)

I started reading this tonight. I didn't know this about the forest:

According to our myths, it was once the site of ubasute. Families would abandon their young or elderly there during periods of famine, so there would be less mouths to feed. Because of this, many Japanese think the forest is now haunted by yūrei, or the souls of the dead.”

message 14: by Latasha (new)

I'm only about 10% in and already it's creepy, scary. There is no way I'd camp in that forest. I'm superstitious and if someone warns me against, I'm not doing it! And! I've seen the Blair witch project and Friday 13th!! You don't go camping in the freakin woods! ;)

message 15: by Lena (new)

Lena | 2425 comments 14% in. I'm glad the jar head character, John Scott, had gone the other direction. I'm hoping he's the first one killed. Then again it could be like Dead Sea where the most annoying character dies last.

message 16: by Lena (last edited Dec 15, 2015 04:35PM) (new)

Lena | 2425 comments 44% in. They've started to die! I like the apropo Guns & Rosesring tone and the foreshadow quote.
"Then again, I decided eventually, if the genre was horror, it didn’t need a happy ending, did it?"

PS - I like the Goodreads update. It's prettier and more readable!

message 17: by Quentin (new)

Quentin Wallace (quentinwallace) | 155 comments Finished Krampus and starting this one next. Sounds like its nice and creepy, looking forward to it.

message 18: by Latasha (new)

It's a fast read. I have around 25% left and if I wasn't working late today, I'd go home & finish it.

message 19: by Latasha (new)

It's a fast read. I have around 25% left and if I wasn't working late today, I'd go home & finish it.

message 20: by Latasha (new)

Finished! I read that in 4 days?! I gave it 4 stars. It was good, intense & fast paced. I liked it! But I still wouldn't go in the forest lol.

message 21: by Lena (new)

Lena | 2425 comments 81% in. Can't have a scary forest tale without a rapist.

message 22: by Lena (new)

Lena | 2425 comments Finished. Kind of a bummer but definitely had some fear factor.
https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...
Here's the movie link (which seems to have no relation to the book save the forest - thus the name, lol)
http://youtu.be/BDs_DYow7xA

message 23: by Pixelina (new)

Pixelina | 63 comments I am not finished yet but I am getting tired of it. Such a good start, setting the mood. Right now I find all the characters whiny and annoying.

message 24: by Lena (last edited Dec 26, 2015 11:12AM) (new)

Lena | 2425 comments Yeah, I didn't connect with any of them.

message 25: by Quentin (new)

Quentin Wallace (quentinwallace) | 155 comments Finally finished this one. Where did December go?? For that matter, where did 2015 go...

Anyway, I liked this one but yes the characters did come across as mostly unlikable, but that happens a lot in horror. (view spoiler)

This one was a little darker than I usually like, but still enjoyable. Pretty suspenseful too.

message 26: by Harvey (new)

Harvey Click | 82 comments I enjoyed it and found it to be a quick, fun read. I didn't find the characters especially annoying. (I suppose most of us would bicker quite a bit if we found ourselves in this situation.) My only complaint is minor: the back stories and anecdotes from the characters' pasts sometimes seemed intrusive. I suppose they're intended to fill out the characters' personalities, but some of them seemed a bit flat and not very relevant to the story.

message 27: by Yawatta (new)

Yawatta Hosby (agathachristiefan) I loved this book. It's fun scaring yourself. The story was written in Ethan's first person point of view. The author was great with sensory details. He took the time to describe everything so that readers could feel, touch, see, and hear what the characters were going through.

The scenes were conversation-heavy. I loved this because you can tell a lot about a person by the way they communicate with others. The author managed to build up tension among the group and reveal their backstories in a suspenseful way. It was slow and steady. I got the creeps just thinking of being lost in a forest and someone (or ghosts? you'll have to read to find out) messing with me by stealing all the cell phones, moving the ribbons so there's no more trails back to the campsite.

The one thing that bothered me was: no one seemed to use contractions, which seemed somewhat unrealistic. Someone in a crisis isn't going to say "I am scared." They'll probably say "I'm scared." Or "I do not know what to do." They'll say "I don't know what to do."

My favorite lines: 1) The forest was too still, too quiet. 2) She'd been quiet until now. Her face was expressionless, her eyes unreadable.

I recommend this book to read.

message 28: by Vicki Willis (new)

Vicki Willis The discussion made me super curious about this one, so I started it a few days ago. I am about half way through (I think. It is hard for me to tell exactly because my copy also has The Catacombs in the same volume.) I think the tension is building and building and I was getting scared when reading it. I can't wait to see what happens next!

message 29: by Vicki Willis (new)

Vicki Willis Well, I already finished this one. It was fast read for me because I couldn't put it down. I was so scared. This topic is a real life fear for me so I was on edge the entire way through. I gave it 4 stars and would recommend to others!

message 30: by Yawatta (new)

Yawatta Hosby (agathachristiefan) Hey Vicki, it's cool that you liked the book. I was scared during some scenes too, probably because I'm terrified of the woods. I have The Catacombs too. It's on my TBR list

message 31: by Troy (new)

Troy Thompson | 24 comments I got a late start on this after reading Krampus and then Christmas and all the hustle and bustle that goes with it.

I'm a little over half way thought and it is a fast read.

I'll admit, I wasn't looking forward to reading it but it pretty much grabbed me from the get-go and I'm really enjoying it.

I'll report back once I'm finished.

message 32: by Dawn (new)

Dawn (sewergirl71) | 77 comments I can't seem to pull the book up here on Goodreads. I'm sure it's operator error! Could someone send me a link?

message 33: by Dawn (new)

Dawn (sewergirl71) | 77 comments Never mind, I found it! Time for more coffee!!

message 34: by Dawn (new)

Dawn (sewergirl71) | 77 comments Never mind, I found it! Time for more coffee!!

message 35: by Dawn (new)

Dawn (sewergirl71) | 77 comments I am really enjoying this book! Would probably be finished by now but this week has been crazy

message 36: by Lena (new)

Lena | 2425 comments It happens. Enjoy reading time when you can get it!