Talk of the Town discussion

Carry On (Simon Snow, #1)
This topic is about Carry On
#4A: Carry On > Penny and Simon

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by PB (new) - rated it 4 stars

PB (darlingdarcy) | 168 comments Mod
What do you think draws these two together?

I mean, for the longest time, I thought they really had these secret feelings for each other, which maybe what Rainbow Rowell had in mind early on (until she decided she wanted to create this very BIG plot twist).

But even after the plot twist, Penny and Simon are still significant parts of each others' lives. Until the end, Penny still keeps suggesting that they should just run away together and live together. There's this part where someone (I forget, but was it Agatha) even said that Penny wants to be the most important person in Simon's life. I don't think it was just because Snow was powerful, because she stuck with him until the end.

Matthew (funkygman007) | 14 comments All of my male gay friends usually have had that one really close relationship with a certain female. I think that may have been what Rowell was getting at here. I may be wrong, but they felt so perfect for each other, but I never felt any sexual tension.

message 3: by PB (new) - rated it 4 stars

PB (darlingdarcy) | 168 comments Mod
Matthew wrote: "All of my male gay friends usually have had that one really close relationship with a certain female. I think that may have been what Rowell was getting at here. I may be wrong, but they felt so pe..."

YESS! I'm glad someone understands. It's the same exact thing as Harry's and Hermione's relationship (which they explored in that one HP movie, I believe the Deathly hallows part one?). They felt sooo perfect for each other... but there 's just that one thing missing: thesexual attraction/tension. UGH.

I get about Simon being gay and all, but then he is not all that sure anyway... i think he'd still be attracted to a female. But still. Penny.