Horror Aficionados discussion

Krampus: The Yule Lord
This topic is about Krampus
Group Reads > December 2015 Group Read #1: Krampus: the Yule Lord

Comments Showing 1-50 of 94 (94 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Jon Recluse (new)

Jon Recluse | 12043 comments Mod
Here's your spot to discuss December's winning book, Krampus: the Yule Lord.

Y'all know the rules.
Have fun, use spoilers and play nice.

Don't make me tell Insanity Claws on you.

Kimberly (kimberly_3238) | 6101 comments Mod
Ordered it--should be able to start next week. :)

message 3: by Katy (new)

Katy Mann | 938 comments Kimberly wrote: "Ordered it--should be able to start next week. :)"

Got my copy too. Spooky for Christmas - I'm in.

WendyB  | 3132 comments Mod
Should have my copy in a day or two, and then I'll join in.

Walter Spence (walterspence) | 573 comments My copy's waiting for me at the library, look forward to reading it.

message 6: by Randy (last edited Dec 07, 2015 12:04AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Randy | 103 comments I have to finish The Ritual first, then I'm on to this one.

MadMannikin | 11 comments Got a copy on Overdrive. Can't wait to start! I love the artwork already.

Latasha (latasha513) | 11050 comments Mod
I've already read this one but I'm going to read it again. I just have to finish the one I'm on first. I should be able to start wed. at the latest.

Robert Mingee (robertmingee) | 776 comments I'm going to wait untill a little closer to Christmas to start this one, so I'll be behind, but I'll make it by Christmas!

Michael Hicks (michaelpatrickhicks) | 988 comments Just got my copy. Hopefully I can get through a couple ARCs quickly enough and dig in soon.

message 11: by Ed (new) - rated it 2 stars

Ed (BlackSabbathEd) For some reason I did not get any of the emails regarding Decembers group read? I got the November emails. What's the story?

message 12: by Ed (new) - rated it 2 stars

Ed (BlackSabbathEd) For those of you that don't know, Krampus is available for Kindle for 1.99. Last week it was 9.99 so I don't know how long the sale price will last. Enjoy!

I just got my copy, but have a few to finish up first. Definitely in on this read!

Quentin Wallace (quentinwallace) | 155 comments Starting this one today. I thought I'd have to skip it but like Ed said I saw it was on sale for 1.99 so I picked it up. Looks pretty cool!

message 15: by Troy (new) - added it

Troy Thompson | 24 comments I'm in on this group read too, just have to finish Horns (the 2nd November group read, got a late start on it but am almost finished).

Looking forward to it.

message 16: by Kasia (new) - added it

Kasia (kasia_s) | 3487 comments Mod
I got the Ebook, hope to join in soon.

Marc-Antoine | 2888 comments Got mine!

message 18: by Eric (new) - rated it 4 stars

Eric (eterrell3) | 95 comments Through the first 3 chapters and loving this one so far! Apparently we're tying this into Norse mythology... Interesting!

message 19: by Troy (new) - added it

Troy Thompson | 24 comments I've also read the first 3 chapters and am really enjoying it too.

I'll be honest, this book didn't start like I expected, but that's not a bad thing at all.

I'm almost finished. I'm listening to the audiobook and have been working 12 freakin hours...ugh! Anyways, I LOVE Krampus in this book. I love the first house they visit to spread Yuletide cheer. He reminds me a lot of Jack Skellington. And that's ok, I love them both. This is a reread (listen?) and I'm having just as much fun this time as I did the first read.

message 21: by Ed (new) - rated it 2 stars

Ed (BlackSabbathEd) About 100 pages in so far. Not too bad.

Just started Krampus and I'm liking it.

Quentin Wallace (quentinwallace) | 155 comments Im nearing the halfway point and I do enjoy it. I don't think I've ever seen Norse Mythology mixed in with Dixie Mafia, or something along those lines. (view spoiler)

I am finishing up EVIL ENTITY, and then I'll be starting this read! :)

message 25: by ally ¯\(ツ)/¯ (new)

ally  ¯\(ツ)/¯ (allykennedy) I have been begging people in other groups to read this with me and no one is interested!
I'm SO GLAD I stumbled upon this group! I plan to start next week :)

ok I finished. I tried to look up krampus traditions and couldn't find anything. does anyone know of any?

message 27: by Katy (new)

Katy Mann | 938 comments Alexandra wrote: "This book was an awesome pick! Really makes you think about what monsters really are..."

I liked the many uses for the Santa sack.

Quentin Wallace (quentinwallace) | 155 comments Latasha wrote: "ok I finished. I tried to look up krampus traditions and couldn't find anything. does anyone know of any?"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Krampus

There's some things on there.

message 29: by MadMannikin (last edited Dec 11, 2015 01:43PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

MadMannikin | 11 comments Latasha wrote: "ok I finished. I tried to look up krampus traditions and couldn't find anything. does anyone know of any?"

There is some information on the national geographic wesite I found. If you just type "national geographic krampus" on google those articles will come up on top. The info is about the same as the info the author gives in his afterword.

Ok thanks. I'm all about some traditions!! Woohoo!

message 31: by Sean (new) - rated it 4 stars

Sean (doccrab) | 70 comments Have been wanting to read this ever since I read Brom's, Child Thief. Started reading it tonight, had to force myself to put it down.

Yay! I'm starting this one now!! :)

I'm up to Chapter 7 and really enjoying the story so far.
I wish the book had better front and back artwork. Don't much like the way Krampus is drawn but since I've never seen this critter before maybe this is the way he's always depicted?

Walter Spence (walterspence) | 573 comments I'm about two thirds in. Some parts have been stronger for me than others, but the Yule celebrating has been hilarious (at least thus far, still making my way through that section).

message 35: by Sean (new) - rated it 4 stars

Sean (doccrab) | 70 comments Loving the conversations between Krampus and Jesse. The sarcasm is hilarious.

message 36: by Katy (new)

Katy Mann | 938 comments Sean wrote: "Loving the conversations between Krampus and Jesse. The sarcasm is hilarious."

The sarcasm does lighten the story. I love how he uses the various animals, bringing them in from Norse mythology.

Michael Jensen (michaeljensen) | 144 comments Just got from the library and will start tonight. By the way, saw Krampus the movie Toni Collette and Adam Scott. Started off really strong and then fell completely apart. Have higher hopes for the book!

message 38: by Alex (new)

Alex Shelby (jynxmecrazie) @Michael, I just saw the Krampus movie this afternoon and I couldn't agree more.

Michael wrote: "Just got from the library and will start tonight. By the way, saw Krampus the movie Toni Collette and Adam Scott. Started off really strong and then fell completely apart. Have higher hopes for the..."

It doesn't look like the book and the movie have any connection at all other than the name.

message 40: by Alex (last edited Dec 13, 2015 06:38PM) (new)

Alex Shelby (jynxmecrazie) WendyB wrote: "Michael wrote: "Just got from the library and will start tonight. By the way, saw Krampus the movie Toni Collette and Adam Scott. Started off really strong and then fell completely apart. Have high..."

I think he was just adding it in as a side note, since they're both based on the same folklore. But yes, two different plots of no relation.

Michael Jensen (michaeljensen) | 144 comments WendyB wrote: "Michael wrote: "Just got from the library and will start tonight. By the way, saw Krampus the movie Toni Collette and Adam Scott. Started off really strong and then fell completely apart. Have high..."
No, they aren't related. Just thought I'd mention since folks here are prolly interested in both. Liking the book so far!

Walter Spence (walterspence) | 573 comments Just finished. Nice selection for the season. Enlightening as well, seeing how blended so many of the holiday traditions have become over tme.

Lol, I liked the movie. But I wish it had ended about 5 minutes earlier, leaving off those last few minutes.

message 44: by Sean (new) - rated it 4 stars

Sean (doccrab) | 70 comments Almost finished and it hasn't slowed down once. Great choice.

Robert Mingee (robertmingee) | 776 comments I think I'm going to sneak in one more read before it and still try to finish this one by Christmas.

I got to wrapping gifts today--I'll catch up soon (so far, really enjoying it!).

I have about 100 pages to go and have enjoyed every bit of it. Krampus is a good choice for December. It's a book I wouldn't have picked on my own but that's what I really like about the group reads. It's a great chance to try something new and different.

message 48: by Sean (new) - rated it 4 stars

Sean (doccrab) | 70 comments Not sure whether to root for or against Krampus. One minute I feel sorry for him, the next I want to smack him upside the head and steal the sack for myself.

Sally (reinesally) | 10 comments haha yeah, I usually tend to root for the bad guys...

I'm almost finished with this book! I've really enjoyed it!

message 50: by Sean (new) - rated it 4 stars

Sean (doccrab) | 70 comments Just finished. Loved it.

« previous 1