Digerati Buchgemeinschaft discussion

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Rolando (new)

Rolando | 102 comments Mod
Thinking about Margaret Atwood, The Heart Goes last.

message 2: by Rolando (new)

I posted it as January book, if only to have a plan should I see no input. I know folks will be busy in December. Mrs Attwood is something of a crossover author, or I think of it does not fit nicely into a cubby hole.

I tend to like sci-fi & fantasy so if left to my devices that's what this group may gravitate to. What genres do other folks like?

message 3: by Rolando (new)

Let's plan for Attwood for January.

message 4: by Del (new)

Del (goodreadscomdel_smith) | 32 comments Who else needs a book, a "real" book? I don't do kindle or that ilk. Not sure how many we need to get a discount for group purchase at Watermark. I'll check it out. I do have a 10% Frequent Reader Discount card at Watermark. I'll check the library as well.

Rolando, do we read the book first, then comment, discuss? This is a new experience for me and I need someone to point me in the right direction.....

message 5: by Rolando (new)

Read, then comment here. I'll set up a folder.

message 6: by Del (new)

Del (goodreadscomdel_smith) | 32 comments I'll get the book and read it. Right now I'm finishing up "Never Let Me Go" and starting "The Vonnegut Brothers," a new bio about the two brothers.

message 7: by Suzanne (new)

Suzanne (suzannekm) | 76 comments Rolando wrote: "Let's plan for Attwood for January."

Rolando wrote: "Thinking about Margaret Atwood, The Heart Goes last."

This sounds good to me.

message 8: by Anne (new)

Anne Bailey | 6 comments OK - I read it. It is truly weird and disturbing, typical Atwood.

message 9: by Del (new)

Del (goodreadscomdel_smith) | 32 comments Haven't started it yet. Not surprised by Anne's comment. Is it a fast read? Was the library copy hard to come by? Long wait?

message 10: by Anne (new)

Anne Bailey | 6 comments got it in a couple of days. Not too long, 309 pages. Read it between Christmas and New Year events. The sort of book you really want to know what will happen next.

message 11: by Suzanne (new)

Suzanne (suzannekm) | 76 comments Weird and disturbing sounds about right. Her redemptions always seem so small.

message 12: by Rolando (new)

So it wasn't me! Finally finished. I am torn on the finish.

Spoilers*********************
Ed sort of got a come upance, but it felt empty. Stan & Charmaine got a sort of happy ending. I didn't mind that some things we left open ended regarding those two. Did the character grow? It didn't feel like it.
Veronica and the teddybear seemed weird for weird sake. A lot of lines for a throw away character.

I guess it felt like the world really didn't "feel" improved. Hmmm, just some of the sharp edges were filed down. If that makes sense. maybe I felt something should have happened to Jocelyn.

message 13: by Del (new)

Del (goodreadscomdel_smith) | 32 comments I didn't read the Atwood book, so can't add to the discussion.

message 14: by Suzanne (new)

Suzanne (suzannekm) | 76 comments Everybody got to make choices about their lives. The main characters just took longer than everyone else to realize that this was possible. All along, they had thought that they were only at the good or bad mercy of outside forces. ...As I am remembering it.