The Mystery, Crime, and Thriller Group discussion

Nocturnes (Nocturnes, #1)
This topic is about Nocturnes
Buddy Reads > John Connolly's Charlie Parker series, Book 4.5: Nocturnes

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Tom (new) - rated it 5 stars

Tom Mathews | 980 comments I've finally gotten back to reading the Charlie Parker series, sort of. I am currently reading Nocturnes, a story collection which has been considered book 4.5 of the series. Most of the stories have nothing to do with the series but one story, The Reflecting Eye: A Charlie Parker Novella, obviously does.

I've read six of these stories so far and they are among the best horror stories I have ever read. Nocturnes is a very good name for this collection as it is the stuff of nightmares. Connolly has the ability to turn evil into something tangible, much like H.P. Lovecraft was able to do. There is a difference between Lovecraft and Connolly though. Connolly adds plots to his horror stories.

I would like to hear what other readers think about these stories. Which is your favorite? What impressions do you have?

message 2: by Annette (new)

Annette Macintyre | 70 comments Thanks for your comment, Tom. I am not familiar with Charlie Parker but I will get some of his work soon, sounds like my kinda guy.

message 3: by Tom (new) - rated it 5 stars

Tom Mathews | 980 comments Annette wrote: "Thanks for your comment, Tom. I am not familiar with Charlie Parker but I will get some of his work soon, sounds like my kinda guy."

The Charlie Parker series is a mystery/thriller series that starts out fairly traditionally yet introduces an increasing amount of paranormal activity as the series progresses. Nocturnes may be a great way to decide if you want to give the series a try.

message 4: by Tom (new) - rated it 5 stars

Tom Mathews | 980 comments I really enjoyed The Underbury Witches. I would love to see more books or stories featuring Inspector Burke and Sergeant Stokes.

message 5: by Tom (new) - rated it 5 stars

Tom Mathews | 980 comments I finished it and found it to be one of the best story collections I've ever read. My review is here.

The Mystery, Crime, and Thriller Group

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Nocturnes (other topics)
The Underbury Witches (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

H.P. Lovecraft (other topics)