City of Bones (The Mortal Instruments, #1) City of Bones discussion

Only For People Who Hate Clary and Jace

Comments Showing 1-50 of 80 (80 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

Cecily This discussion is about the series as a whole.

I really don't like the characters Clary and Jace. They annoy me as a couple, and they annoy me as individuals. My lease favorite book in the series was even City of Lost Souls. (You know, the book Clary spent the majority of making out with Jace and going on gondola rides in Venice?)

I even hated that part in City of Heavenly Fire where they went off to have sex, while Simon, Izzy, and Alec did things mission related.

One thing I have noticed is that most of the people who share my disliking of Clary and Jace, usually have Alec or Magnus as their favorites.

Oh, that's true for me.

I LOVE Alec!!!

Could someone explain to me why this is?

Yellow Eccentricity

Lexie Honestly....the entire series went downhill the longer it went on....they were such annoying characters...and that whole brother/sister while in love thing was so irritating and went on for way too long

Cecily Lexie wrote: "Honestly....the entire series went downhill the longer it went on....they were such annoying characters...and that whole brother/sister while in love thing was so irritating and went on for way too..."

Oh. My. Gosh. Yes!!

Diana Braxton I think it honestly just comes down to personal choice. The people who relate to Alec and Magnus more are more likely to not care for Jace and Clary because they're just so different. What Jace and Clary lack as a coulple, Alec and Magnus provide. I personally like Alec and Magnus better, although once the whole brother/sister thing was solved, I didn't mind Clace.

ella I also dislike Jace and Clary, but love Alec and Magnus. I felt like I could relate to Alec a lot more than I could anyone else in the book so.

I didn't like Clary because she had a lack of regard for other people apart from Jace and sometimes Simon. She did whatever she wanted with little regard of her consequences and it got really frustrating, really fast. It was why I just couldn't bring myself to like her, even towards the end of the series.

Jace... I used to love Jace but now I realise he's arrogant and a lot of the time he's just mean to people, for no reason. And I don't even want to talk about the sex scene in COHF because it has to be the worst scene in the entire series. There was literally no point to it other than to show their love, which we've had plenty of in the past five books anyway. I wish they'd cut the scene out and put something actually important there instead.

To me, Alec was just a far more realistic character. He had acknowledged flaws and strengths. Whereas I found with Jace and Clary, when they had flaws it was rarely acknowledged by others and when it was people would usually just brush it off.

Cecily Yes!

message 7: by AgCl (last edited Dec 25, 2015 11:00AM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

AgCl didn't really like Clary from the start but it really got worse since she used Simon to get over Jace. I mean what kind of person does that to their supposed best friends? and worse they've been bffs since childhood. For Jace---well being pretty or being able aim and hit well isn't a reason to be a d*bag. Sometimes i think Valentine had more manners. I don't know if its just me but their pairing just seemed too YA-romance-couple generic and don't get me started on Heavenly Fire, it just felt too much like a promotional stunt for the next Shadow Hunter series.

Alec and Magnus on the otherhand were firstly just more likeable as individual characters, more relatable and their relationship and their issues are as well believable and less cheesy. Well not the whole immortality issue but you get my point.

Katrina♡•• Down right stopped reading the series midway because of my continuous and intense hate for Jace and Clary...

Cecily Kisses A wrote: "Down right stopped reading the series midway because of my continuous and intense hate for Jace and Clary..."

Wow...

message 10: by Cecily (last edited Jan 05, 2016 02:51PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Cecily Safia wrote: "I started disliking them after book 4. It was too much after and Clary got annoying (even though she pretty much always WAS kind of annoying and I just tried to ignore it)"

Yeah. I actually read City of Bones and half of Ashes in summer 2013, then I read the rest this fall, so I really have no idea what I thought of the characters back then.

Katrina♡•• I hated how when the met from that moment all readers knew that they were endgame...ughhhh i am sick of it. Everything they were put through, we knew that they would "defy" it.

Sophie Hmm. I personally love Clace and they're most likely my favorite couple of the series because I just rooted for them most but I do really love Magnus and Alec as well. And Simon and Izzy....And Sebastian (oops...?)
I don't know I guess I can be a sucker for gushy love stories and I just love them together and I love their fierce love for each other. I love the idea of soul mates and I don't know I love them. I also read the majority of the series back when I had just started to really get into reading so maybe that's also why. I did used to really love Jace as a fictional boyfriend. But then I met Will Herondale and I never looked back.

message 13: by Ananya (new)

Ananya I like Simon most, I don't know why. It's very annoying to me, why Clary rejected Simon's proposal? Feeling so sad, that he had became a side hero. Though the series had a good story but the writing style disturbed me so much.

Georgia I LOVE Alec. I find him the most logical and smart overall. Clary and Jace just piss me off no matter what they do.

Cecily Georgia wrote: "I LOVE Alec. I find him the most logical and smart overall. Clary and Jace just piss me off no matter what they do."

Ohhh, yes! I like the way you think, girl!

Georgia Yellow Eccentricity wrote: "Georgia wrote: "I LOVE Alec. I find him the most logical and smart overall. Clary and Jace just piss me off no matter what they do."

Ohhh, yes! I like the way you think, girl!"

Doesn't hurt that Alec is super hot in the tv show. Lol.

Cecily Ha!

message 18: by Ananya (new)

Ananya For this reason, i can't continue this series. I'm agree with you at this point. I think, the writer had made this story very well but could't explain or figured out it. Here, it seams that, emotions and relationships had became more important than the story line, it irritated me most.

Cecily Ananya wrote: "For this reason, i can't continue this series. I'm agree with you at this point. I think, the writer had made this story very well but could't explain or figured out it. Here, it seams that, emotio..."

I do agree, but what book are you on? I know I had to stop in the middle of the second book, and I just picked it back up in September. I finished the series, thoughts of Alec helping me through it all. I recommend finishing the series.

Jollymus I am an Alec fan I have to admit but i still feel that Clace could have potential if the characters just had some kind of growth.. But Clary's constant disregard for anyone but Jace and Jace's pig-headdedness is a little tiring to be honest. I had high hopes for this parabatai bond, but I can't understand how Jace can put Clary above Alec almost every time... Weren't the bond some kind of epic bromance... ANyways I'm only on the 2nd book so I' sure some of these things will change :)

Cecily Jollymus wrote: "I am an Alec fan I have to admit but i still feel that Clace could have potential if the characters just had some kind of growth.. But Clary's constant disregard for anyone but Jace and Jace's pig-..."

Yes. That's the spirit!

message 22: by [deleted user] (new)

I can't stand Clary or Jace ! They are the worst and their scenes together in city of lost souls ending and city of heavenly fire made me want to cringe and vomit . I had no problem with the incest brother and sister angle .. it's the characters themselves that I couldn't stand . I ship Clary and Sebastian but my own version of Clary because let's face it Cassandra Clare's version sucks! Lol the only character that was worthwhile in the entire series was Sebastian so I would recommend reading his scenes at least . Magnus was also kind of cool and pretty funny .. I normally don't really root for or care about the LGBT characters and their relationships but Magnus was an exception I think and I like that he broke it off with Alec and wasn't gonna take his BS.

message 23: by Iris (new) - rated it 4 stars

Iris I'm seriously considering DNFing this entire series (I'm currently about halfway through book 2). I'm finding it really boring and I just dont care about the story or the characters.

Is the clockwork angel / lady midnight books any better?? Does TMI series get better and should I keep going? :/ It's going against every fibre of my being to DNF an entire series :S

message 24: by Ula (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ula Cherry wrote: "I'm seriously considering DNFing this entire series (I'm currently about halfway through book 2). I'm finding it really boring and I just dont care about the story or the characters.

Is the clock..."

the clockwork series truly is better so you might give it a try. lady midnight is kinda on the same level, maybe in storylines it feels a little more mystery-like cause there's a murder solving plot but in terms of characters and relationships it's very similar so if you don't like city of bones maybe lady midnight is not the best idea.

Back to the topic, generally the way CC writes any romantic relationships just makes me sick. I didn't mind so much when I was a lovesick 16 year old myslef (although even then Clary and Jace were too much for me) but now every supposedly romantic quote or scene she writes feels like she's just trying too hard to make it "the biggest and strongest love that the world has ever seen and it could overcome the whole world because of just how much love there is" and I feel like I'm vomiting rainbows. It's just way too unrealistic and sugarcoated, feels like a cheap fanfiction. It just feels like the less attention CC gives to a certain couple the better for them.

Kayli Baker I really didn't like Clary, but I didn't mind Jace too much. I feel like Jace was basically just a face and I couldn't find much behind that face to like or dislike. Cassie Clare tortures Jace the whole series and then it just ends with him and Clary.
I HATE Clary. I hate her in the books, the movie, and most of all the TV SHOW (but the movie and tv show don't matter). She just seems so useless!

"Oh, the world is ending and everyone is actually doing something useful? Maybe I should try to get everyone killed, ask a lot of irritating questions, and cry! Oh and I should make Jace confused (like he always is) and make him hate himself by leading him on. I should make myself the center of attention because I'm the only one that matters! Except Jace. Maybe Simon instead? I don't know! I'll take forever to decide and torture all the rest of the characters with my irritatingness!"

That might as well be a direct quote from her. FINALLY there are people that believe that Jace and Clary aren't the center of the universe!

Samantha There was way too much emphasis on Clary and Jace, and using a fake revelation of incest as a tool to demonstrate how strong their feelings for each are was a very strange move on Cassandra Clare's part. Honestly Clary is a faux "strong female character" who demonstrates her independence by physically attacking people for no reason, and Jace is an unlikable douche.

Izzy was my favourite character but she was very underutilized for most of the series.

message 27: by Raquel (last edited May 15, 2017 09:43PM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Raquel Cordeiro I just hated Clary and Jace for the whole series, but I loved Alec and Izzy and Magnus and Simon and everyone else, besides Joselyn which is a real bitch (guess it should come by blood after all hahaha)
But when the tv show from Netflix came out, and Alec was sooo hot and Jace was... shorty and weird and Simon is all nerdy and cute and I loved the cast BESIDES Jace and Clary... I think I'll have to hate them on paper and tv. hahah

Nadia I really hate them to be exact, why they making themself hard on each other when the problem itself is a simple problem that could be resolved by communicate better?
They (Clace) just whining around during Book 4 and Book 5, and Book 6, yeah you know what happen, they are making out, when Alec still confusing about Magnus whereabout,

Sharlynie hi people just wanna share my HATRED towards both of this characters. I absolutely DESPISE CLARY! I don't understand why she cease to exist!!! I only made through city of ashes & did not continue the series but it's such a waste because my bf got me the whole freakin series thinking that I would love them :/ I'm still killing Clary over & over in my mind right now.....i've never felt such hate before for a character. Even Clary was still annoying as hell on the show how is this even possible

message 30: by Deniz (last edited May 30, 2017 10:14AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Deniz WELL HELLO THERE I'M GLAD I'M NOT THE ONLY ONE THAT THINKS THESE TWO ARE JUST IRRITATING.

I don't want to hurt anyone cause i may be a little harsh, but this conversation is all obut people's hatred towards them, soo...
Okay first of all, i just can't handle the fact that Clay, such an ambitious man like Valentine's daughter, is just so... flighty? I mean she literally make out with hey-i'm-hot-and-sassy-but-i'm-also-a-romantic-yay-obey-me-i'm-a-god while they were on a serious mission. (I might remember it wrong but they were in hell or somethin like that, right?)

And she didn't even think about the consequences, not even once! And i'm not just meaning the whole big problems she caused, there were things that she did because she was... what? Confused? In pain? (I mean Simon ofc i'll never forget that she was about to ruin such a great friendship. SIMON WAS HOLDING HIMSELF BACK JUST BECAUSE HE DIDIN'T WANT O RUIN ANYTHING CLARY WHAT THE HELL???)

Jace is... Well, i can't say i really hate him, there were times i thought he was relly cute; but that was it. He was cute, and most of the times cool but that was it. He wasn't that important to me. I've never seen him as a great hero like he should be. Actually i've nevere seen them as heroes both.

About Alec and Magnus... Well i always like Magnus more - think that's because of the clockwork series- so i don't have many things to say bout them.

My favorite character in TMI is Izzy. She was the best. She was strong (both mentally and phisically), smart, foxy, funny, beautiful, great lover. And best of all she knew that. She knew that she was all of them and she knew how to use them. She was confıdent. Man she was... Such a hero.

So yeah, that's it i think.

(By the way my English kinda sucks. English is not my native language, so there might be some mistakes. I'm sorry for that.)

Katrina♡•• i honestly couldnt feel any chemistry between Clace and Clary was a bit annoying. I think Climon should have gotten a fair chance.

Ashanti Skelton WHY DON'T YOU LIKE CLARY AND JACE?!!! THEY HAVE THE PERFECT CHEMISTRY AND TO WHOMEVER THINKS CLIMON (A REALLY UGLY SHIP NAME) SHOULD HAPPEN, NO NO NO!!!!! CLARY AND JACE ARE THE PERFECT COUPLE, HANDS DOWN!

Have a nice day, thank you.

"Have you fallen in love with the wrong person yet?'
Jace said, "Unfortunately, Lady of the Haven, my one true love remains myself."
..."At least," she said, "you don't have to worry about rejection, Jace Wayland."
"Not necessarily. I turn myself down occasionally, just to keep it interesting.”

message 33: by [deleted user] (last edited Jul 26, 2018 01:03PM) (new)

The whole TMI series, I think, was ruined by the characters. Well, some of them anyway.

Each and every character has done something to make me dislike them that l i t t l e bit. In Clary's case, however, e v e r y t h i n g she has done made me exhausted and frustrated.

How quickly did she brush Simon off for Jace, after years and years of friendship? Acted scornfully towards Izzy because she was pretty? (God forbid someone other than Clary is attractive). She pounced on Alec's homosexuality just to spite him? When he was c l e a r l y not comfortable enough to talk about it with anyone else but Isabelle?

She was, by all means, not a good character. Or at least a character I would rather put behind me and forget about all together.

It was just incredibly difficult to get through the series, mainly because of Clary and her ignorance.

Shadowhunters is good. Cassandra Clare is a good author. It's a shame a bunch of the characters were loathsome.

E.g. "Not everything, Jace, is about you." said Clary and then went on to talk about herself.

I just.

I can't.

*edit*

It has been a year and after reading Lady Midnight and Lord of Shadows my opinion has now changed.

Cassandra Clare is an okay author.

Wretched I found them both to be so irritating, that it took me way longer than it should have to get through the series. I despised Clary from book one, and will keep on my dislike for her for as long as I live.
Jace is just that typical bad boy that typical girls like Clary seem to fall for. He has no personality, and is a total arrogant, cringe-worthy, ass. He is the book's eyecandy, and Clary is the dumb girl that keeps him relevant in the story.

Summary: I hate them both with a passion.

Ashanti Skelton Abigail wrote: "I found them both to be so irritating, that it took me way longer than it should have to get through the series. I despised Clary from book one, and will keep on my dislike for her for as long as I..."

You guys are all crazy!! Cassandra Clare is an amazing writer who made the characters perfectly.

WARNING: Rant in the next paragraph. If you don't like rants, then skip this paragraph and move to the next.

WHY DO PEOPLE HATE SHADOWHUNTERS?!! THE ROMANCE IS PERFECT AND EVERYTHING IS JUST SOOOOO AMAZING!! YOU GUYS HAVE NO TASTE IN BOOKS AND YOU SHOULD GET THAT CHECKED OUT!!!!!! SHADOWHUNTERS IS A WELL DEVELOPED BOOK AND ANYONE THAT SAYS SOMETHING DIFFERENT, CAN GO READ THE BOOKS AGAIN, AND LOVE THEM! CLARY AND JACE ARE PERFECT. SIMON AND ISABELLE ARE PERFECT. ALEC AND MAGNUS ARE PERFECT. LUKE AND JOCELYN ARE PERFECT! So, yeah.

I do respect people's opinion, unless it's wrong (jk) ;) I think Shadowhunters was a really great series and I hope that everybody else changes their opinion and realizes that this whole discussion was stupid. Thanks for listening!!

Sharlynie Honestly the whole shadowhunters premise sounds really fascinating until the characters ruined it. Everyone here agrees that Clary is so annoying (Maybe you're so blind because you might be as annoying as Clary is lel). I really wanted to love the series but too bad J&C ruined the fun!( I even bloody bought the whole freaking series). You probably haven't read other fantasy/paranormal series that are much much more intriguing & definitely so much more engaging, not to mention the romance are much more well done. Go read other fantasy books first then compare.

Ashanti Skelton Sophie wrote: "Hmm. I personally love Clace and they're most likely my favorite couple of the series because I just rooted for them most but I do really love Magnus and Alec as well. And Simon and Izzy....And Seb..."
Oh yeah!! I'm a sucker for gushy love stories too!

message 38: by K (new) - rated it 5 stars

K *spoilers involved*
Firstly, let me just say that I love TMI, Infernal Devices, and enjoy the Dark Artifices. I think TMI just dragged on too much, which caused me to start to not enjoy the relationships involved.

First time I read the series, I was IN LOVE with Shadowhunters and Clace. However, after rereading it, I found myself rather bored and annoyed. The brother/sister thing especially dragged on. And there was so much incest involved, whether Clary/Jace or Clary/Sebastian.

I felt like City of Heavenly Fire was more focused on each couple's romance or sex life rather than progressing each character and the fight against Seb. Simon and Isabelle are a fine couple, but the constant freak out about Simon still liking Clary was unnecessary and boring. I absolutely love Magnus and Alec, so I was happy to see them get back together and for Magnus to open up more to Alec. However, I was getting annoyed by Alec's constant petty attitude toward Magnus' past. I understand it, but I felt like it could have been patched up or moved on from quicker than it did.

Now I don't personally hate Clary or Jace. I am annoyed by each of them individually at points and at certain points when they're together. And honestly, I am the ONLY one who found it so odd that Jace had a condom when they were in Edom? Like what? WHY did they have a condom when one, Clary never specifically told Jace she would want to have sex, and two, Jace was filled with heavenly fire, so how did he think to bring a condom when he could barely touch her? Condom in a wallet? Do they even carry wallets? I don't know, I've never seen someone mention this fact, but it just blew my mind when I read it.

Overall, not an awful series and no awful relationships (Minus Maia and Jordan and Jordan just being killed off), but there were definitely flaws to each.

message 39: by Barash (last edited Jun 23, 2017 03:37PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Barash Didn't like Clary or care much for her. Surprisingly, I liked the netflix Clary a lot more and I don't understand why. The Clary on Simon thing bored me to near-death, as well as unnecessary Jace related drama. I loved the infernal devices overall, but did not like part of the ending. It was all romance and beauty on that bridge with Tessa and Jem, but in my opinion contained too much dialogue with love and dramatic words.

message 40: by E (last edited Jul 14, 2017 07:43AM) (new) - added it

E Chen Sophie wrote: "Hmm. I personally love Clace and they're most likely my favorite couple of the series because I just rooted for them most but I do really love Magnus and Alec as well. And Simon and Izzy....And Seb..."

:)
I gave you this smiley face not because I agree with you, but because you chose to disagree peacefully.

Gabriella I personally don't mind Jace as a character, I like him a lot. Clary was annoying at the beginning, but she was also 15. So, as she matured, she grew more bearable in my opinion. That being said, I have many problems with their relationship, even more now with the revelations in Lord of Shadows.

message 42: by XXPinkPastelzXx (new)

XXPinkPastelzXx I have only watched the Netflix series and am going to be reading the books soon but from the minimal amount of screen-time Clace has had I already know that I don't enjoy then as a couple

When I first started watching I enjoyed them as characters and thought that their relationship was quite interesting. After a while of flirting, I started getting extremely aggravated at how much effort the writers put into making their sexual tension so obvious.

Once they found out they were 'related' I got really excited because I thought I would finally be done with their annoying ship, but they're romance still continued throughout the time they thought they were brother/sister which made me even more disgusted because THEY THOUGHT THEY WERE RELATED!

I had shipped Clary and Simon from the beginning. Mainly because of how awkward Simon is in all of their scenes and the chemistry that you can see they had, so when they got together I was not only freaking out because I like Climon but because I thought Clace would be done for good.

Of course I was wrong. The Ceely queen had to ruin everything by making Clary kiss 'the one she truly desired' and that was obviously Jace. I thought that there might be a slight chance that they didn't break up, but the next episode Simon ended it. ( Though I was glad it wasn't Clary because if it was I would've been extremely annoyed )

In the latest episode that came out, they found the last mortal instrument ( the mirror ) and Jace almost died to Sebastian, though from what the episode provided me with, he is dead now...I don't believe though because that would be to easy.

Sorry, I'm getting off topic. In this episode, they kissed and its only been a few days since Climon ended which makes me dislike Clary's character even more.

I don't know, does anyone feel the same way as me? ( Oh and I do ship Malec because they are so adorable :3 )

Laura I watched season 1 of the Netflix series and,no offense,but I really hated the main characters (clary and jace) and stopped watching it because of this, which is a shame because the story has so much potential.
I'm interested in reading the book series but I'm also worried I will hate the book series version of them too.
Does anyone know if the Netflix series' main characters reassemble the books' main characters?
(I know they're supposed to, but what I mean is if the are just that way because of the way the actors portrayed them)
Again, no offense to anyone who likes the books or the Netflix series, this is just my opinion and do not mean in any way to change yours by sharing mine.

Please answer the question, I would really like to know.

Sharlynie Oh don't worry, the characters in both the TV series & book series are similar, similarly annoying haha. I just want to know, may I know why you feel compelled to try the book series?

Sarvenaz OHMYGOD THIS IS THE PERFECT THREAD OMGOMGOMGOMG OTHER PEOPLE HATE THEM TOO.
erm...
*clears throat*
I apologize for that. This thread is honestly the best thread of the whole series. It was obvious from book one that Clace is gonna be a thing. However since I didn't like Jace to begin with, (Sarcasm and daddy issues? please, give me something original) and I couldn't sympathize with him at all, I decided to just bear thorough it. Jace kept on getting hurt for the sake of keeping up Clary's angst and Clary got hurt for his.
Did they have chemistry? Absolutely not.
Where they an interesting couple, or ever, ever, believable? Nope.
The fifth book was basically Clary making out with Jace and going on boat rides. But it was when Clary was so unbearably selfish that she didn't let Jace go in the fifth book that I truly begun to hate this ship.
Alec will always be my favorite character, and right behind him is Magnus.
Anyone agree?

Amnah I can recommend this to a dozen million people, honestly, this thread will blow up right there and then with voices of profound disagreement.

Sarvenaz Does anyone remember how incredibly selfish Clary was when she called out to Sebastian in the fifth book to wipe Jace's memory? Like, ugh, Clary could you be anymore self-centered?

Andrea I do not ship Clace exactly, and Clary is definitely not my favorite character. Though, I love Jace so much because of his wit. But my ultimate ship in the series is Sizzy. Sizzy is jusy perfect. I cried a river when CoHA happened. My heart just screamed Sizzy.

Irene Sarvenaz wrote: "OHMYGOD THIS IS THE PERFECT THREAD OMGOMGOMGOMG OTHER PEOPLE HATE THEM TOO.
erm...
*clears throat*
I apologize for that. This thread is honestly the best thread of the whole series. It was obvious ..."

Oh God, the part where she calls Sebastian pissed me off. I remember reading it. I was in band, but we weren't playing any music since we already did the Christmas concert. I slammed the book on table and just sat there. It was my friends book, but she hadn't read it. Everyone just started at me. All I could say was "Clary is the most selfish and ignorant character that I have read about." Honestly, look how many people died because of that. Ugh, I just hated her for that. The TV show makes her more likeable, tho.

message 50: by [deleted user] (last edited Oct 01, 2017 08:27PM) (new)

Sophie wrote: "Hmm. I personally love Clace and they're most likely my favorite couple of the series because I just rooted for them most but I do really love Magnus and Alec as well. And Simon and Izzy....And Seb..."

Clearly you and one other fans can’t comprehend the title “only for people who don’t like clary and jace.” Why the hell are you even here then? If you don’t even dislike them a little bit?

« previous 1