The Filipino Group discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Archives > [General] POLL FOR F2F50: FEBRUARY 2015 | Theme: Historical Fiction

Comments Showing 1-19 of 19 (19 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Monique (last edited Dec 06, 2015 06:11PM) (new)

Monique (attymonique) | 2126 comments Hello! I'll be the discussion moderator for our February 2016 F2F, which also happens to be the 50th F2F discussion. Yay to us! :D

We were supposed to vote for the F2F50 book last November, and then again last Saturday during the Christmas party, but then everyone got so into all the fun that, well, we just forgot. Hehe. But anyway, here we are.

Taking my cue from Angus, who decided to do away with the polls for F2F49 in order to weed out the votes of non-active members, I would like to ask all active members to cast their votes for the F2F50 book on this thread. If you are an "active member" and you attended the Christmas Party last Saturday, your vote will be counted as 2. If you are not an "active member" but you attended the Christmas Party, your vote will count as 1.

Who is an "active member" for purposes of this poll? That's someone who has been "fairly participating in the online or offline discussions for the past three to four months (not bibo or competitive; just a member who is around and who is not away for an extended period)."

Here are the nominee books:

The Narrow Road to the Deep North by Richard Flanagan
The Narrow Road to the Deep North - Man Booker winner for 2014

All the Light We Cannot See by Anthony Doerr
All the Light We Cannot See - Pulitzer Prize for Fiction 2015, Goodreads Choice Award for Historical Fiction 2014

Life After Life by Kate Atkinson
Life After Life - Goodreads Choice Award for Historical Fiction 2013

Moderator's pick: The Narrow Road to the Deep North

Poll ends on December 27, Sunday, 11:59pm. Please vote! Thank you.

message 2: by Angus (new)

Angus (angusmiranda) | 4337 comments I vote for The Narrow Road to the Deep North. :D

message 3: by Meliza (new)

Meliza (mecawish) | 720 comments Hi! I vote for All the Light We Cannot See. :)

message 4: by Veronica (new)

Veronica | 734 comments I vote for The Narrow Road to the Deep North because I read it last year and I can still remember it (and that says a lot for me, hehe).

But really, this is an excellent book. :)

message 5: by Louize (new)

Louize (thepagewalker) | 1830 comments It's the All the Light We Cannot See for me. :D

message 6: by Lynai (new)

Lynai | 1188 comments The Narrow Road to the Deep North. (In case my vote counts. ;))

message 7: by Marie (new)

Marie | 295 comments Hello, I vote for Life After Life. :-)

message 8: by Aaron Vincent (new)

Aaron Vincent (aaronvincent) | 2053 comments Voting for All the Light We Cannot See.

message 9: by Ingrid (new)

Ingrid (gridni) | 601 comments Voting for The Narrow Road to the Deep North :)

message 10: by Kristel (new)

Kristel (fanarchist) | 489 comments Voting for Life after Life.

message 11: by Kristel (new)

Kristel (fanarchist) | 489 comments Monique, I have a question: can we still change answers when persuaded by others?

message 12: by Monique (new)

Monique (attymonique) | 2126 comments Kristel wrote: "Monique, I have a question: can we still change answers when persuaded by others?"

Yes, Kristel! I'll tally all votes when deadline is over. Votes cast by then will be the final vote of the members. Although I'm taking note pa rin naman of all posts/votes as they are posted.

message 13: by Tin (new)

Tin (rabbitin) | 560 comments I vote for All the Light We Cannot See. :)

message 14: by Maria Ella (new)

Maria Ella (mariaellabetos) | 1351 comments Voting for All The Light We Cannot See. :)

message 15: by Mawi (new)

Mawi | 145 comments Voting for The Narrow Road to the Deep North. :)

message 16: by Bennard (new)

Bennard | 730 comments Hello! Voting for The Narrow Road to the Deep North. :)

message 17: by Elaine (new)

Elaine (itslainee) | 227 comments Voting for Life After Life :)

message 18: by Monique (new)

Monique (attymonique) | 2126 comments Poll is CLOSED! Will post results later. :)

Meantime, enjoy the holidays, everyone!

message 19: by Monique (new)

Monique (attymonique) | 2126 comments Hi everyone, I've tallied the results of the poll. Before that, however, please take note of the following:

- Weight of the votes is tallied according to whether one is an "active member," i.e., someone who has been "fairly participating in the online or offline discussions for the past three to four months (not bibo or competitive; just a member who is around and who is not away for an extended period)." So yes, I did my homework for this.

- "Active member" and present at the Christmas Party? 2 points. Not an "active member" but present at the Christmas Party? 1 point.

- What about those who are "active members" but were, unfortunately, unable to attend the Christmas Party? 2 points. I'm exercising my discretion as F2F moderator and deciding that active participation in the book discussions ought to have greater weight than party attendance.

Having said all those, here are the results:

The Narrow Road to the Deep North
Angus – 2
Ronnie – 2
Lynai – 2
Ingrid – 2
Mawi – 2
Benny - 2

All The Light We Cannot See
Meliza – 2
Louize – 2
Aaron – 2
Tin – 2
Ella - 2

Life After Life
Marie – 2
Kristel – 2
Elaine - 2

Total:
The Narrow Road to the Deep North - 12
All The Light We Cannot See - 10
Life After Life - 6

Thank you for voting and see you in Feb!

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.