The Seasonal Reading Challenge discussion

WINTER CHALLENGE 2015 > 20.6 - Seasoned Reader - Emmalita's task: Favorite SEASONings

Comments Showing 1-50 of 88 (88 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Kristina Simon (last edited Dec 11, 2015 06:12PM) (new)

Kristina Simon (kristinasimon) | 10973 comments Mod
20.6 - Seasoned Reader - Emmalita's task: Favorite SEASONings

Since I won the chance to be the task creator for the SEASONed reader and two of my favorite things to do is to read and to cook, my task is based on my favorite SEASONings.

Read a book from ONE of the following options. Required: State which option you chose when you post.

Option 1. When I cook, almost all of my dishes have garlic in them. Garlic is my favorite seasoning. Read a book that has something to do with vampires OR one that has "Horror" as a main page genre. If the book features vampires, this should be obvious from the book's main page description or reviews.

Option 2. I love the smell and taste of cinnamon. It's a great savory and sweet spice. Read a book with a mostly brown (over 50%) colored-cover. Ex:
Noah Barleywater Runs Away by John Boyne Fifteen Dogs by André Alexis
Required: Include the cover when you post.

Option 3. I also love to use rosemary in many of dishes. Read a book written by an author whose name is "Rose," "Mary," or "Rosemary." The name may be found in any position (first, middle, or last) but must be shown as part of the author's name on Goodreads.

Optional: When you post, list your favorite seasoning(s).

message 2: by Emma (last edited Feb 23, 2016 06:16AM) (new)

Emma (emmalita) | 170 comments Approved Books (for brown covers):

Fifteen Dogs by André Alexis Noah Barleywater Runs Away by John Boyne Slaughterhouse-Five by Kurt Vonnegut Dangerous Lies by Becca Fitzpatrick The Birds by Tarjei Vesaas
The Rescue by Nicholas Sparks Thomas Jefferson The Art of Power by Jon Meacham Stowaway Heart by Patricia Strefling Still Life With Murder (Nell Sweeney Mysteries, #1) by P.B. Ryan In Times Like These (In Times Like These, #1) by Nathan Van Coops
Transcendence by Shay Savage Return of the Bird Tribes by Ken Carey Happy Hour by Michele Scott Inferno (Robert Langdon, #4) by Dan Brown The Violets of March by Sarah Jio
And the Mountains Echoed by Khaled Hosseini The Underground Girls of Kabul The Hidden Lives of Afghan Girls Disguised as Boys by Jenny Nordberg Bury My Heart at Wounded Knee An Indian History of the American West by Dee Brown Dust to Dust Stories by Timothy Findley The Duke's Tattoo (Horsemen of the Apocalypse, #1) by Miranda Davis
The Women by T.C. Boyle The Bookman's Tale by Charlie Lovett DARK KILLS a gripping detective thriller full of suspense by T.J. Brearton The Physick Book of Deliverance Dane by Katherine Howe Coal Black Horse by Robert Olmstead
The Man Who Knew Too Much by G.K. Chesterton The Book of Aron by Jim Shepard The Devil's Novice (The Chronicles of Brother Cadfael Book 8) by Ellis Peters Dictionary of the Khazars (Male Edition) by Milorad Pavić The Professor and the Madman A Tale of Murder, Insanity and the Making of the Oxford English Dictionary by Simon Winchester
The Robber Bride by Margaret Atwood The Illegal by Lawrence Hill Esther by Rebecca Kanner Circling the Sun by Paula McLain Heft by Liz Moore
The Worst Hard Time The Untold Story of Those Who Survived the Great American Dust Bowl by Timothy Egan

Approved books (for Vampires):

Clockwork Prince

Authors approved for Option 3:
Mary-Louise Parker

message 3: by Emma (last edited Jan 21, 2016 07:51AM) (new)

Emma (emmalita) | 170 comments Not Approved Books (for brown covers):

Path of the Assassin (Scot Harvath, #2) by Brad Thor One Thousand White Women The Journals of May Dodd by Jim Fergus Tithe (Modern Faerie Tales, #1) by Holly Black Loving Frank by Nancy Horan Messandrierre (Jacques Forêt #1) by Angela Wren
Eggs in Purgatory (Cackleberry Club, #1) by Laura Childs Mrs. Pollifax on Safari (Mrs. Pollifax, #5) by Dorothy Gilman The Hero's Walk by Anita Rau Badami

message 4: by Kristina Simon (new)

Kristina Simon (kristinasimon) | 10973 comments Mod
This thread is now open!

message 5: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 7687 comments love option 1- there is no such thing as too much garlic in my house

message 6: by KSMary (new)

KSMary | 819 comments Although I think I may go with option 3, I'd like to check these books for Opt 2 to give me additional options: Path of the Assassin (Scot Harvath, #2) by Brad Thor or Slaughterhouse-Five by Kurt Vonnegut .

message 7: by JennRenee (new)

JennRenee (jennreneeread) | 1332 comments Is this good for brown Dangerous Lies by Becca Fitzpatrick

message 8: by Pia (new)

Pia | 1073 comments Is this cover brown enough?

The Birds by Tarjei Vesaas

message 9: by Kathy G. (new)

Kathy G. | 2073 comments Is this brown enough?

The Rescue by Nicholas Sparks

message 10: by Kim (new)

Kim | 664 comments Is this brown enough?

One Thousand White Women The Journals of May Dodd by Jim Fergus

message 11: by Ann A (new)

Ann A (readerann) | 911 comments OK for brown cover?

Thomas Jefferson The Art of Power by Jon Meacham

(Garlic and cinnamon are used liberally in my house as well!)

message 12: by puppitypup (new)

puppitypup | 272 comments Ok for brown?
The Duke's Tattoo (Horsemen of the Apocalypse, #1) by Miranda Davis

message 13: by Kathy G. (new)

Kathy G. | 2073 comments Which of these would be brown?
Thanks-

Tithe (Modern Faerie Tales, #1) by Holly Black

Stowaway Heart by Patricia Strefling

Still Life With Murder (Nell Sweeney Mystery Series, #1) by P.B. Ryan

In Times Like These (In Times Like These, #1) by Nathan Van Coops

message 14: by Emma (new)

Emma (emmalita) | 170 comments KSMary wrote: "Although I think I may go with option 3, I'd like to check these books for Opt 2 to give me additional options: Path of the Assassin (Scot Harvath, #2) by Brad Thor or Slaughterhouse-Five by Kurt Vonnegut."

Slaughterhouse-Five is brown enough. I'll add it to the approved books.

message 15: by Emma (new)

Emma (emmalita) | 170 comments JennRenee wrote: "Is this good for brown Dangerous Lies by Becca Fitzpatrick"

That one looks good!

message 16: by Emma (new)

Emma (emmalita) | 170 comments Pia wrote: "Is this cover brown enough?

The Birds by Tarjei Vesaas"

Approved

message 17: by Emma (new)

Emma (emmalita) | 170 comments Kathy G. wrote: "Is this brown enough?

The Rescue by Nicholas Sparks"

Looks good, Kathy

message 18: by Emma (new)

Emma (emmalita) | 170 comments Kim wrote: "Is this brown enough?

One Thousand White Women The Journals of May Dodd by Jim Fergus"

That one is a little too yellow.

message 19: by Emma (new)

Emma (emmalita) | 170 comments Ann A wrote: "OK for brown cover?

Thomas Jefferson The Art of Power by Jon Meacham

(Garlic and cinnamon are used liberally in my house as well!)"

That one will work

message 20: by Emma (new)

Emma (emmalita) | 170 comments Kathy G. wrote: "Which of these would be brown?
Thanks-

Tithe (Modern Faerie Tales, #1) by Holly Black

Stowaway Heart by Patricia Strefling

Still Life With Murder (Nell Sweeney Mystery Series, #1) by P.B. Ryan

In Times Like These (In Times Like These, #1) by Nathan Van Coops"

Everything but Tithe is approved.

message 21: by Tara Bieck (last edited Dec 09, 2015 08:39AM) (new)

Tara Bieck | 433 comments Would this work for #2? Brown enough?
Transcendence by Shay Savage

Thank you in advance!

message 22: by Cindy (new)

Cindy | 178 comments Return of the Bird Tribes by Ken Carey

Would this be ok for option 2? It's difficult to tell from this thumb nail pic, but, my copy's cover seems to be a pen and ink (both brown and black ink) with a dark brown wash over the black ink marks. Really a beautiful illustration.

message 23: by Emma (new)

Emma (emmalita) | 170 comments Tara Jo wrote: "Would this work for #2? Brown enough?
Transcendence by Shay Savage

Thank you in advance!"

Brown enough! approved.

message 24: by Emma (new)

Emma (emmalita) | 170 comments Cindy wrote: "Return of the Bird Tribes by Ken Carey

Would this be ok for option 2? It's difficult to tell from this thumb nail pic, but, my copy's cover seems to be a pen and ink (both brown and black in..."

It looks good.

message 25: by Cindy (new)

Cindy | 178 comments Emma wrote: "Cindy wrote: "Return of the Bird Tribes by Ken Carey

Would this be ok for option 2? It's difficult to tell from this thumb nail pic, but, my copy's cover seems to be a pen and ink (both brow..."

Sweet. Thank you!!!

message 26: by Cait S (new)

Cait S | 779 comments For Option 1, something to do with vampires, is having the genre Vampires enough to confirm it? The description here doesn't explicitly mention them, but the genres do and I know from Book 1 that they play a big role in the series.

Clockwork Prince (The Infernal Devices, #2) by Cassandra Clare

message 27: by Sue (new)

Sue (suetinge) | 1508 comments We're big fans of garlic and cinnamon (among others) as well. I'm looking at Happy Hour by Michele Scott for Option 2 if it's brown enough.

message 28: by Erin (NY) (new)

Erin (NY) (erin_p) | 629 comments For brown cover, how about:
Inferno (Robert Langdon, #4) by Dan Brown , The Violets of March by Sarah Jio , And the Mountains Echoed by Khaled Hosseini , or Loving Frank by Nancy Horan ?
Thanks!

message 29: by Susan (new)

Susan Wojtas | 245 comments Will either of these work for option 2?

The Underground Girls of Kabul The Hidden Lives of Afghan Girls Disguised as Boys by Jenny Nordberg

Bury My Heart at Wounded Knee An Indian History of the American West by Dee Brown

message 30: by BellaGBear (new)

BellaGBear | 261 comments Is this one brown enough for option 2? Dust to Dust Stories by Timothy Findley

message 31: by Emma (new)

Emma (emmalita) | 170 comments Cait wrote: "For Option 1, something to do with vampires, is having the genre Vampires enough to confirm it? The description here doesn't explicitly mention them, but the genres do and I know from Book 1 that t..."

Hi Cait, Yes, having the genre Vampires is enough to confirm it. I'll add it to the approved list.

message 32: by Emma (new)

Emma (emmalita) | 170 comments Sue T wrote: "We're big fans of garlic and cinnamon (among others) as well. I'm looking at Happy Hour by Michele Scott for Option 2 if it's brown enough."

This looks good!

message 33: by Emma (new)

Emma (emmalita) | 170 comments Wayne wrote: "Can Rose be a last name or does it have to be a first name?"

Rose can be a last name too.

message 34: by Emma (new)

Emma (emmalita) | 170 comments Erin (NY) wrote: "For brown cover, how about:
Inferno (Robert Langdon, #4) by Dan Brown, The Violets of March by Sarah Jio, And the Mountains Echoed by Khaled Hosseini, or Loving Frank by Nancy Horan?
Thanks!"

The first three are brown enough, but not the last one.

message 35: by Emma (new)

Emma (emmalita) | 170 comments Susan wrote: "Will either of these work for option 2?

The Underground Girls of Kabul The Hidden Lives of Afghan Girls Disguised as Boys by Jenny Nordberg

[bookcover:Bury My Heart at Wounded Knee: An India..."

These are both approved.

message 36: by Emma (new)

Emma (emmalita) | 170 comments Bellagbear wrote: "Is this one brown enough for option 2? Dust to Dust Stories by Timothy Findley"

This counts.

message 37: by puppitypup (new)

puppitypup | 272 comments Emma, can you check on post 12 above? I think my query got overlooked :)

Thank you!

Julie

message 38: by Book Concierge (new)

Book Concierge (tessabookconcierge) | 3762 comments Is either of these okay for Option 2 - Brown/Tan cover

The Women by T.C. Boyle or The Bookman's Tale by Charlie Lovett

message 39: by Emma (new)

Emma (emmalita) | 170 comments puppitypup wrote: "Emma, can you check on post 12 above? I think my query got overlooked :)

Thank you!

Julie"

Oops! Sorry about that! Yes, that book will work! I'll add it to the list.

message 40: by Emma (new)

Emma (emmalita) | 170 comments Book Concierge wrote: "Is either of these okay for Option 2 - Brown/Tan cover

The Women by T.C. Boyle or The Bookman's Tale by Charlie Lovett"

Approved for both.

message 41: by Pia (last edited Dec 14, 2015 10:53PM) (new)

Pia | 1073 comments Hi!
Found more books. Will any work?

Messandrierre by Angela Wren

DARK KILLS a gripping detective thriller full of suspense by T.J. Brearton

message 42: by Emma (new)

Emma (emmalita) | 170 comments Pia wrote: "Hi!

DARK KILLS a gripping detective thriller full of suspense by T.J. Brearton"

The second one works, but not the first one.

message 43: by Pia (new)

Pia | 1073 comments Emma wrote: "Pia wrote: "Hi!

DARK KILLS a gripping detective thriller full of suspense by T.J. Brearton"

The second one works, but not ..."

Ok, thanks!

message 44: by Narumon (new)

Narumon Would this book work for the brown cover option? Eggs in Purgatory (Cackleberry Club, #1) by Laura Childs

Thank you!

message 45: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth (ebpnd17) | 719 comments Does this book work for option 2 (brown cover)?

The Physick Book of Deliverance Dane by Katherine Howe

Thank you!!

message 46: by Sue (new)

Sue (suetinge) | 1508 comments Emma wrote: "Sue T wrote: "We're big fans of garlic and cinnamon (among others) as well. I'm looking at Happy Hour by Michele Scott for Option 2 if it's brown enough."

This looks good!"

Thanks!

message 47: by Emma (new)

Emma (emmalita) | 170 comments Narumon wrote: "Would this book work for the brown cover option? Eggs in Purgatory (Cackleberry Club, #1) by Laura Childs

Thank you!"

Not quite enough brown here.

message 48: by Emma (new)

Emma (emmalita) | 170 comments Elizabeth wrote: "Does this book work for option 2 (brown cover)?

The Physick Book of Deliverance Dane by Katherine Howe

Thank you!!"

Yes, that works!

message 49: by Melissa (new)

Melissa (balletbookworm) | 952 comments Would Dear Mr. You by Mary-Louise Parker work for Option 3?

message 50: by Emma (new)

Emma (emmalita) | 170 comments Melissa wrote: "Would Dear Mr. You by Mary-Louise Parker work for Option 3?"

Yes, that counts!

« previous 1