The Seasonal Reading Challenge discussion

109 views
WINTER CHALLENGE 2015 > 20.4 - Golden Oldies - Camilla's task: Lost in Translation

Comments Showing 1-29 of 29 (29 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kristina Simon (last edited Dec 10, 2015 07:46AM) (new)

Kristina Simon (kristinasimon) | 10915 comments Mod
20.4 - Camilla's Task: Lost in Translation

I live in Finland, a fairly small country with approx. 5.2 million inhabitants. Since Finland is a small market when it comes to book sales, countless books are never translated into Finnish. This means that many books I’m interested in are not translated and thus I read mostly books in English. This task centers aorund different languages and translating.

Choose ONE of the options below and read a book that fits that option. Required: State which option you chose when you post.

Option 1: Read a book written in a language other than your native language. Required: In your post, state your native language and the language of the book that you read.

Option 2: Read a book that was originally published in a language other than your native language. The edition you read may be in any language, as long as the first published edition of the book was not in your native language. Required: In your post, state your native language and the original language of the book.

Option 3: Read a book that takes place in at least two different countries. Required: In your post, state the countries where the book is set.


message 2: by Camilla (last edited Feb 14, 2016 01:26AM) (new)


message 3: by Camilla (last edited Dec 08, 2015 10:54PM) (new)

Camilla | 519 comments Not approved


message 4: by Kristina Simon (new)

Kristina Simon (kristinasimon) | 10915 comments Mod
This thread is now open!


message 5: by Kathy G. (new)

Kathy G. | 2073 comments Does this work for option 3--- Two countries

Sisterhood Everlasting


message 6: by Camilla (new)

Camilla | 519 comments Kathy G. wrote: "Does this work for option 3--- Two countries
Sisterhood Everlasting"


Based on what I read in the reviews, the book seems to take place at least in the US and Greece, so it would fit nicely.


message 7: by Kathy G. (new)

Kathy G. | 2073 comments Thank you so much!


message 8: by Erin (NY) (new)

Erin (NY) (erin_p) | 629 comments Question: my native language is Russian, but I lived in the US for so long that English is now my primary language. Would reading something written in English be within the spirit of the task?
Thanks!


message 9: by Camilla (new)

Camilla | 519 comments Erin (NY) wrote: "Question: my native language is Russian, but I lived in the US for so long that English is now my primary language. Would reading something written in English be within the spirit of the task?
Thanks!"


I think English is fine in your case, as you stated that your native language is Russian, even though you now speak primarily English.


message 10: by Erin (NY) (new)

Erin (NY) (erin_p) | 629 comments Camilla wrote: "Erin (NY) wrote: "Question: my native language is Russian, but I lived in the US for so long that English is now my primary language. Would reading something written in English be within the spirit..."
Thanks!


message 11: by Melissa (new)

Melissa (balletbookworm) | 947 comments Yaaaaas, have been looking for an excuse to read Elena Ferrante's My Brilliant Friend (my native language is English, and this was originally published in Italian). :)


message 12: by Cynthia (new)

Cynthia (cynthiabaxter) | 718 comments So to be clear, for those who are not bi-lingual, Option A is not an option. Correct?


message 13: by Camilla (new)

Camilla | 519 comments Melissa wrote: "Yaaaaas, have been looking for an excuse to read Elena Ferrante's My Brilliant Friend (my native language is English, and this was originally published in Italian). :)"

Looking good, enjoy!


message 14: by Camilla (new)

Camilla | 519 comments Cynthia wrote: "So to be clear, for those who are not bi-lingual, Option A is not an option. Correct?"

Yes, I guess that's another way of saying it. Although bilingual sounds to me like one has to master both languages very well, which of course is not required; as long as you know the other language well enough to get through a book, that's enough.


message 15: by Catie (new)

Catie | 193 comments For book one, can the book be originally published in any language, as long as the edition we read is not our native language?

I'm working on learning French (my native language is English), and although I'd eventually like to read some of the french classics in their original format (Les Mis, Count of Monte Cristo etc.), I'm not sure I'm quite ready for anything /too/ complicated, but I do think I might be ready to read a book I'm already familiar with (probably a Harry Potter!) that has been translated?

Basically what I want to know is this: Can I (an English speaker) use Harry Potter à l'école des sorciers, a book translated into French, but originally written in English, for option 1?


message 16: by Camilla (new)

Camilla | 519 comments Catie wrote: "For book one, can the book be originally published in any language, as long as the edition we read is not our native language? "

Yes, absolutely. For option 1, the original publication language doesn't matter, as long as the edition that you read is in another language than your native one. Enjoy Harry Potter!


message 17: by Kristen (new)

Kristen IA (kristenia) | 707 comments For Option 3?Those Who Save Us

Sounds like current time is set in Minnesota/US and flashbacks in Germany.


message 18: by Camilla (new)

Camilla | 519 comments Kristen wrote: "For Option 3?Those Who Save Us
Sounds like current time is set in Minnesota/US and flashbacks in Germany."


Two timelines are fine as long as parts of the book are really set also in Germany and not just Anna currently telling Trudy about her past. From the reviews it seems like happenings in two different countries are included, so you're good to go.


message 19: by Robin (Saturndoo) (last edited Dec 19, 2015 12:47AM) (new)

Robin (Saturndoo) (robinsaturndoo) | 1 comments For option 2 does this work--My native language is English/the book was originally published in Sept 2013 in Swedish.

The edition I read
My Grandmother Asked Me to Tell You She's Sorry

My Grandmother Asked Me to Tell You She's Sorry by Fredrik Backman

The Original
Min mormor hälsar och säger förlåt

Min mormor hälsar och säger förlåt by Fredrik Backman


message 20: by Maya (new)

Maya (ferafaces) | 357 comments Checking Leaving Berlin for Option 3 please.


message 21: by Camilla (new)

Camilla | 519 comments ♥Robin ♥ wrote: "For option 2 does this work--My native language is English/the book was originally published in Sept 2013 in Swedish.

The edition I read
[book:My Grandmother Asked Me to Tell You She's Sorry|23604..."


Looking good, enjoy!


message 22: by Camilla (new)

Camilla | 519 comments As kong as the book contains scenes both from the US and Berlin, it fits the task.


Robin (Saturndoo) (robinsaturndoo) | 1 comments Camilla wrote: "♥Robin ♥ wrote: "For option 2 does this work--My native language is English/the book was originally published in Sept 2013 in Swedish.

The edition I read
[book:My Grandmother Asked Me to Tell You ..."


Thanks Camilla :)


message 24: by Kristen (new)

Kristen IA (kristenia) | 707 comments How about Anna and the French Kiss? Most of the book takes place in France, but she is in the US for a 2 week period over the course of a 9 month school year. Would this work for Option 3?


message 25: by Camilla (new)

Camilla | 519 comments Kristen wrote: "How about Anna and the French Kiss? Most of the book takes place in France, but she is in the US for a 2 week period over the course of a 9 month school year. Would this work for Opt..."

Yes, two weeks is enough :-)


message 26: by Deana (new)

Deana (ablotial) | 284 comments Option 3:
Brooklyn


message 27: by Camilla (new)

Camilla | 519 comments Deana wrote: "Option 3:
Brooklyn"


It seems the book takes Place both in Ireland and the US, so you're good to go.


message 28: by Blueberry (last edited Feb 13, 2016 08:46PM) (new)

Blueberry (blueberry1) | 493 comments Can this be approved for Opt. 1? Infidel

This book was published in German in 2006. Goodreads only has the 2007 editions in English.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Infidel... (first paragraph under reception)


message 29: by Camilla (new)

Camilla | 519 comments Blueberry wrote: "Can this be approved for Opt. 1? Infidel "

Approved.


back to top