The Seasonal Reading Challenge discussion

WINTER CHALLENGE 2015 > 20.3 - Best Review - Book Concierge's task: Art and Passion

Comments Showing 1-50 of 51 (51 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Kristina Simon (last edited Dec 10, 2015 03:23PM) (new)

Kristina Simon (kristinasimon) | 10917 comments Mod
20.3 - Best Review - Book Concierge's task: Art and Passion

I have always loved art. My parents frequently took my brothers and me to art museums, and my mother loved buying folk art, especially by Mexican or Southwest artists.

Choose ONE of the options below and read a book that is a minimum of 250 pages long.
Required: State which option you chose when you post.

**Note: Books with the genre childrens or kids may not be used for this task.**

OPTION A - Ettore “Ted” DeGrazia (b 14June1909 / d 17Sept1982) was an American impressionist, painter, sculptor, composer, actor, director, designer, architect, jeweler, and lithographer. He is perhaps best known for his colorful images of Native American children of the American Southwest. In 1960, DeGrazia got his big break when UNICEF requested permission to use his image of Los Ninos to produce greeting cards. Many millions were sold world-wide, making DeGrazia the most reproduced artist in the world. My mother loved his work and had several reproductions / prints in her home.

Read a book with a cover that depicts two or more children. Children should be clearly age 12 or younger. Ex:
Jesus Land by Julia Scheeres Whistling In the Dark by Lesley Kagen
Required: Post the cover image

OPTION B - Frida Kahlo (b 06July1907 / d 13July1954) was a Mexican painter who is best known for her self-portraits. Kahlo’s life began and ended in Mexico City, in her home known as the Blue House. Her work has been celebrated in Mexico as emblematic of national and indigenous tradition, and by feminists for its uncompromising depiction of the female experience and form.

Read a memoir or autobiography written by a female author. If there is a co-author, the co-author must also be female.

OPTION C - Martin Ramirez (b 30Jan1895 / d 17Feb1963) was a self-taught artist who spent most of his adult life institutionalized in California mental hospitals, diagnosed as a catatonic schizophrenic. He is considered to be one of the 20th century’s self-taught masters. His works display an idiosyncratic iconography that reflect both Mexican folk traditions and 20th century modernization: images of Madonnas, horseback riders, and trains entering or exiting tunnels, undulating fields of concentric lines that describe landscapes, and decorative patterns.

Read a book with a cover image of a Madonna (or mother & child), a horseback rider (on a horse), or a train. If using the mother & child option, the child should be clearly under the age of 12.
The Madonna List by Maxwell L. Foran Not Becoming My Mother and Other Things She Taught Me Along the Way by Ruth Reichl The Color of Lightning by Paulette Jiles The Longest Ride by Nicholas Sparks Murder on the Orient Express (A Hercule Poirot Mystery) by Agatha Christie
Required: Post the cover

OPTION D - Diego Rivera (b 08Dec1886 / d 24Nov1957) was a prominent Mexican painter. His large wall works in fresco helped establish the Mexican Mural Movement in Mexican art. Between 1922 and 1953, Rivera painted murals in Mexico City, Chapingo, Cuernavaca, San Francisco, Detroit and New York City. He was married to fellow Mexican artist Frida Kahlo. I remember my parents taking me to Mexico City to see Rivera’s murals.

Read a book written by an Hispanic author.
Required: If it is not clear from the author’s Goodreads profile that s/he is of Latin-American or Spanish descent, cite the source of your information.

message 2: by Book Concierge (last edited Feb 27, 2016 07:21PM) (new)

Book Concierge (tessabookconcierge) | 3669 comments Approved

Option A - 2 or more children on cover
For The Children by Tara Taylor Quinn The Family Three Journeys into the Heart of the Twentieth Century by David Laskin The Story of the Lost Child (The Neapolitan Novels, #4) by Elena Ferrante Farewell to the East End The Last Days of the East End Midwives by Jennifer Worth The Other Family by Joanna Trollope

Option B - AUTObiography / memoir by a female
West with the Night / Bossypants / When I Was Puerto Rican / If Life Is a Bowl of Cherries—What Am I Doing in the Pits? (be sure to watch which edition you read ... not all of them meet the page requirements)

Option C - Cover images
Madonna / woman & child -
Those Who Save Us by Jenna Blum The Midwife's Confession by Diane Chamberlain Save Me by Lisa Scottoline The Family Three Journeys into the Heart of the Twentieth Century by David Laskin

Train:
Centuries of Change by Ian Mortimer

Option D - Hispanic author (male OR female)
Octavio Paz / Silvia Moreno-Garcia (be sure it's NOT an anthology, but something by her alone) / Diana Gabaldon

message 3: by Book Concierge (last edited Jan 25, 2016 12:18PM) (new)

Book Concierge (tessabookconcierge) | 3669 comments Sorry, NO

Option A
Angels Watching Over Me (Shenandoah Sisters, #1) by Michael R. Phillips (look like teens)

Option B
Founding Mothers (NOT a memoir/autobiography)
A Room of One's Own (NOT a memoir/autobiography)
The Story of the Lost Child (NOT a memoir/autobiography)

Option C
Hyvää matkaa! saksaksi by Uli Bonk (cable car NOT a train)

Option D
Future Lovecraft is an anthology with the majority of authors NOT Hisapnic

message 4: by Kristina Simon (new)

This thread is now open!

message 5: by Amy (new)

Amy | 1182 comments Would this work for Option C (madonna):

Those Who Save Us by Jenna Blum

message 6: by Paula (new)

Paula S (paula_s) | 496 comments One of my goals for December is to read The Labyrinth of Solitude and Other Writings by Octavio Paz by Octavio Paz. Would that work for Option 4?

message 7: by Kristen (new)

Kristen IA (kristenia) | 707 comments Would this work for Option C (mother and child)...the reason I ask is that I'm not sure the woman is actually her mother without reading the book and the title leads me to think that perhaps she is not the biological/legal mother.
The Midwife's Confession by Diane Chamberlain

message 8: by Kim (new)

Kim | 652 comments Will this work for Option B? Founding Mothers The Women Who Raised Our Nation by Cokie Roberts

Thank you.

message 9: by Book Concierge (new)

Book Concierge (tessabookconcierge) | 3669 comments Amy wrote: "Would this work for Option C (madonna):

Those Who Save Us by Jenna Blum"

Yes, I can see the mother / child

message 10: by Book Concierge (new)

Book Concierge (tessabookconcierge) | 3669 comments Paula wrote: "One of my goals for December is to read The Labyrinth of Solitude and Other Writings by Octavio Paz by Octavio Paz. Would that work for Option 4?"

Yes

message 11: by Book Concierge (last edited Dec 09, 2015 01:04PM) (new)

Book Concierge (tessabookconcierge) | 3669 comments Kristen wrote: "Would this work for Option C (mother and child)..The Midwife's Confession by Diane Chamberlain..."

I'm more concerned with the image than the actual relationship. So YES, this would work as it appears to be a mother and child.

message 12: by Book Concierge (new)

Book Concierge (tessabookconcierge) | 3669 comments Kim wrote: "Will this work for Option B? Founding Mothers The Women Who Raised Our Nation by Cokie Roberts

Thank you."

NO - this is not an AUTObiography/memoir

message 13: by Heather(Gibby) (new)

Heather(Gibby) (heather-gibby) | 868 comments Can I clarify if for Option A and Option C Does it need to be just the children, or just the mother and child. If I have mom , dad, and two children, will that work for either?

message 14: by Book Concierge (new)

Book Concierge (tessabookconcierge) | 3669 comments Heather(Gibby) wrote: "Can I clarify if for Option A and Option C Does it need to be just the children, or just the mother and child. If I have mom , dad, and two children, will that work for either?"

The images do not need to be alone ... if there are two or more children depicted then it works for Option A ... if there is a mother and child depicted it works for Option C.

NOTE: Children should be "children" NOT teenagers.

message 15: by Wanda (new)

Wanda (oma1229) | 1691 comments Seeking approval for Option C Save Me by Lisa Scottoline

message 16: by Book Concierge (new)

Book Concierge (tessabookconcierge) | 3669 comments Wanda wrote: "Seeking approval for Option CSave Me by Lisa Scottoline"

Looks good.

message 17: by Carla (new)

Carla (carlajones) | 94 comments Would A Room of One's Own by Virginia Woolf work for option B?

message 18: by Book Concierge (new)

Book Concierge (tessabookconcierge) | 3669 comments Carla wrote: "Would A Room of One's Own by Virginia Woolf work for option B?"

Sorry, no. It's not an autobiography/memoir of Woolf's own life, but rather an extended essay based on lectures she delivered at Cambridge University. Great book though, so I hope you find a place for it.

message 19: by Maya (new)

Maya (ferafaces) | 357 comments Just checking because her Goodreads author profile seems to say so, but is Future Lovecraft by Silvia Moreno-Garcia alright for this task?

message 20: by Book Concierge (last edited Dec 15, 2015 04:41AM) (new)

Book Concierge (tessabookconcierge) | 3669 comments Maya wrote: "Just checking because her Goodreads author profile seems to say so, but is Future Lovecraft by Silvia Moreno-Garcia alright for this task?"

Author is Hispanic so good for Option D .. HOWEVER Future Lovecraft is an anthology and most of the authors are NOT Hispanic, so this book will not work.

Silvia Moreno-Garcia has written some works on her own - like Signal to Noise - which would be fine.

message 21: by June (new)

June | 142 comments Would this work for option A: Angels Watching Over Me (Shenandoah Sisters, #1) by Michael R. Phillips

message 22: by Book Concierge (new)

Book Concierge (tessabookconcierge) | 3669 comments June wrote: "Would this work for option A: Angels Watching Over Me (Shenandoah Sisters, #1) by Michael R. Phillips"

Sorry, June ... but from the picture they look more like teenagers or even young women. NOT approved for Option A. Hope you can find somewhere else to use it this challenge.

message 23: by Hina (new)

Hina (hinaj) | 737 comments Will this qualify for option 1: For The Children by Tara Taylor Quinn . I am not sure if the kids look 12 or younger. There is no page numbers on paperback so I am finding out if the large hardcover edition can be used...?

message 24: by Bea (new)

Bea | 3928 comments Hina wrote: "There is no page numbers on paperback so I am finding out if the large hardcover ..."

Hina, I just added page count for this paperback.

message 25: by Julia (new)

Julia (julia103) | 1692 comments Would The Family Three Journeys into the Heart of the Twentieth Century by David Laskin work for either Option A or B? (I'm looking at the people in the sepia image at the top.)

message 26: by Hina (new)

Hina (hinaj) | 737 comments Bea wrote: "Hina wrote: "There is no page numbers on paperback so I am finding out if the large hardcover ..."

Hina, I just added page count for this paperback."

Thanks Bea! Do you think the kids in the pictures look under 12? I am sometimes very bad at telling age...

message 27: by Kristina Simon (new)

Hina wrote: "Will this qualify for option 1: For The Children by Tara Taylor Quinn. I am not sure if the kids look 12 or younger. There is no page numbers on paperback so I am finding out if the large hardcover ..."

** Answering for Book Concierge while she's away.**
The boys appear to be younger than teenagers so, yes, this works for option A. Please state in your completed task post that the book was approved in the help thread so DLMRose doesn't have to go through the age-determination process again. ;-)

message 28: by Hina (new)

Hina (hinaj) | 737 comments Kristina Simon wrote: "Hina wrote: "Will this qualify for option 1: For The Children by Tara Taylor Quinn. I am not sure if the kids look 12 or younger. There is no page numbers on paperback so I am finding out if the lar..."

Will do Thanks!

message 29: by Kristina Simon (new)

Julia wrote: "Would The Family Three Journeys into the Heart of the Twentieth Century by David Laskin work for either Option A or B? (I'm looking at the people in the sepia image at the top.)"

** Answering for Book Concierge while she's away.**
It won't work for B because it's written by a male author, not a female one. But it'll work for option A since there are 2 children in that top picture.

message 30: by Julia (new)

Julia (julia103) | 1692 comments Sorry, I was thinking Options A or C but mis-typed (mother and child being the two middle figures in the sepia section).

message 31: by Book Concierge (new)

Book Concierge (tessabookconcierge) | 3669 comments Julia wrote: "Sorry, I was thinking Options A or C but mis-typed (mother and child being the two middle figures in the sepia section)."

Julia ... yes, The Family Three Journeys into the Heart of the Twentieth Century by David Laskin approved for both options A or C

message 32: by Cathy (new)

Cathy Galloway | 704 comments Will Diana Gabaldon work for Hispanic author? Her Goodreads page states that she has some Mexican heritage.

message 33: by Book Concierge (new)

Book Concierge (tessabookconcierge) | 3669 comments Cathy wrote: "Will Diana Gabaldon work for Hispanic author? Her Goodreads page states that she has some Mexican heritage."

Yes I will accept Diana Gabaldon whose Goodreads profile includes:
Diana Jean Gabaldon Watkins grew up in Flagstaff, Arizona and is of Mexican-American and English descent.

Happy reading!

message 34: by Jukka (new)

Jukka Särkijärvi (nitessine) | 505 comments For option C, is this enough of a train?

Hyvää matkaa! saksaksi by Uli Bonk

message 35: by Book Concierge (new)

Book Concierge (tessabookconcierge) | 3669 comments Jukka wrote: "For option C, is this enough of a train?

Hyvää matkaa! saksaksi by Uli Bonk"

Sorry, that looks more like a cable car (because of the overhead electric lines) than a train. NOT approved.

message 36: by Fandury (new)

Fandury | 975 comments Even so I'm also not 100% sure that this is a train, I want to mention that in Germany and most of Europe nearly all trains run by electricity and so have all overhead electric lines. The only trains that sometimes still use not electricity are freight trains.

message 37: by Book Concierge (new)

Book Concierge (tessabookconcierge) | 3669 comments Fandury wrote: "Even so I'm also not 100% sure that this is a train, I want to mention that in Germany and most of Europe nearly all trains run by electricity and so have all overhead electric lines. The only trai..."

Thanks, Fandury. But the artist painted the trains of the American West, which all traveled on traditional rails. And I want to remain true to those images. I should have specified that.

message 38: by Kaity (new)

Kaity | 375 comments Would If Life Is a Bowl of Cherries, What Am I Doing in the Pits? (mmpb: If Life Is a Bowl of Cherries—What Am I Doing in the Pits? - 256 pages) be okay to use for option B? Since the summary is so vague and memoir isn't shelved hugely (although it's still a main page genre), I'm just looking for confirmation that it is in fact a memoir (or isn't!) :P I'm about 15% into the book already and it seems to be articles/essays on topics (chapter one was honeymoons/the honeymoon phase) and she spends the majority of the time telling stories from her own life.

message 39: by Nicola (new)

Nicola | 1415 comments Is the train on Centuries of Change by Ian Mortimer large enough for C?

message 40: by Book Concierge (new)

Book Concierge (tessabookconcierge) | 3669 comments Kait wrote: "Would If Life Is a Bowl of Cherries, What Am I Doing in the Pits? (mmpb: If Life Is a Bowl of Cherries—What Am I Doing in the Pits? - 256 pages) be okay to use for op..."

Love Erma Bombeck ... while these are mostly essays, she relied heavily on her own life to write these humorous columns. So I'll accept it.

message 41: by Book Concierge (new)

Book Concierge (tessabookconcierge) | 3669 comments Nicola wrote: "Is the train on Centuries of Change by Ian Mortimer large enough for C?"

I can see the train in the center. Accepted.

message 42: by Cindie (new)

Cindie | 1738 comments How about The Story of the Lost Child (The Neapolitan Novels, #4) by Elena Ferrante for option B?

message 43: by Book Concierge (new)

Book Concierge (tessabookconcierge) | 3669 comments Cindie wrote: "How about The Story of the Lost Child (The Neapolitan Novels, #4) by Elena Ferrante for option B?"

Sorry, No ... it may be based on her life story, but this is a novel, so does not qualify as autobiography /memoir.

message 44: by Cindie (last edited Jan 26, 2016 05:30PM) (new)

Cindie | 1738 comments Book Concierge wrote: "Cindie wrote: "How about The Story of the Lost Child (The Neapolitan Novels, #4) by Elena Ferrante for option B?"

Sorry, No ... it may be based on her life story, but this is a novel, so does not qualify as autobiography ..."

oops...sorry.

I meant does this work for A?

message 45: by Book Concierge (new)

Book Concierge (tessabookconcierge) | 3669 comments Cindie wrote: "How about The Story of the Lost Child (The Neapolitan Novels, #4) by Elena Ferrante for option A?"

YES .. it does work for Option A!

message 46: by Cindie (new)

Cindie | 1738 comments Book Concierge wrote: "Cindie wrote: "How about The Story of the Lost Child (The Neapolitan Novels, #4) by Elena Ferrante for option A?"

YES .. it does work for Option A!"

thanks

message 47: by Cindy (new)

Cindy | 883 comments For option A: Farewell to the East End The Last Days of the East End Midwives by Jennifer Worth

message 48: by Book Concierge (new)

Book Concierge (tessabookconcierge) | 3669 comments Cindy wrote: "For option A: Farewell to the East End The Last Days of the East End Midwives by Jennifer Worth"

Yes, these children seem to be under age 12. Approved for Option A.

message 49: by Lois (new)

Lois | 1894 comments For Option A, do these children look young enough to qualify?
The Other Family by Joanna Trollope

message 50: by Book Concierge (new)

Book Concierge (tessabookconcierge) | 3669 comments Lois wrote: "For Option A, do these children look young enough to qualify?
The Other Family by Joanna Trollope"

Yes, they do.

« previous 1