Reading with Style discussion

RwS (Winter 2015-16) > 10.8 Winter Solstice

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kate S (new)

Kate S | 6029 comments 10.8 Winter Solstice (Rebekah's Task)-

Winter Solstice: On Dec. 21, the sun will remain continuously below the horizon in land within the arctic circle. Read a book written by an author born in one of the countries within the artic circle: Norway, Sweden, Finland, Russia, Canada, Greenland, Iceland, and Alaska, U.S.

message 2: by Krista (new)

Krista (kacey14) | 1037 comments Just to be clear -- the US author had to be born in Alaska to qualify for this task. Correct?

Thanks!

message 3: by Elizabeth (Alaska) (last edited Dec 07, 2015 06:38AM) (new)

Elizabeth (Alaska) | 11971 comments Krista wrote: "Just to be clear -- the US author had to be born in Alaska to qualify for this task. Correct?

Thanks!"

Correct. This task does not extend to all US authors, only those born in Alaska. But you may repeat authors or the specified countries/state as many times as you wish.

message 4: by Sam (new)

Sam (theliteraryhooker) | 1008 comments This one will make for some nice combos with 20.5! :)

message 5: by Heather (new)

Heather (sarielswish) | 721 comments Russia - can it be a formerly Russian republic or does it have to be someone who was born in what is NOW Russia?

Specifically, I have two authors - one from Ukraine and one from Kazakhstan. Both were born *before* the fall of the USSR - would they count, since they were born in what was then Russia?

Elizabeth (Alaska) | 11971 comments We will be looking at Russia for this one, not the Soviet Union.

message 7: by Rosemary (new)

Rosemary | 2857 comments Does being born on a Canadian military base in Germany count as being born in Canada? Douglas Coupland

Elizabeth (Alaska) | 11971 comments Rosemary wrote: "Does being born on a Canadian military base in Germany count as being born in Canada? Douglas Coupland"

No, sorry.

message 9: by Rosemary (new)

Rosemary | 2857 comments That's OK! I thought it was a stretch but worth asking! I am planning to read Generation X for 20.10