Fiction Addiction discussion

Six of Crows

Comments Showing 1-45 of 45 (45 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Luke (new)

Luke Taylor Six of Crows (Six of Crows, #1) by Leigh Bardugo

Six of Crows twas my favorite read of the year for a great many reasons. If you've had the pleasure of reading the beautiful hardcover, then you were probably blown away by the black pages and the intricate little details Leigh placed in the book to remind us of The Grisha Trilogy, but also to remind us how aesthetically she views the world.

Let's talk about Ships, waffles, black leather gloves and walking sticks.

Let's talk about Six of Crows.

message 2: by Amber (new)

Amber Hetchler | 124 comments Mod
I can't even express my love for this book. I read it and then I HAD to go buy it. I'll definitely be rereading it someday. I loved it so much that I decided to go read the Shadow and Bone series as well, but so far I've only read the first book. I'm waiting to see if I get the series for Christmas (it was on my Christmas list *fingers crossed*).

I literally squealed out loud a number of times while reading Six of Crows. Kaz and Inej...I just can't. One of the cutest romances I've ever read. Kaz is so adorable; he acts really tough and he rips out people's eyeballs and stuff but he doesn't know how to handle a real relationship with Inej. So precious.

The world building is just beautiful. Don't you ever wish you could jump into a book and live there forever?

message 3: by Luke (last edited Dec 07, 2015 03:04PM) (new)

Luke Taylor Amber wrote: "I can't even express my love for this book. I read it and then I HAD to go buy it. I'll definitely be rereading it someday. I loved it so much that I decided to go read the Shadow and Bone series a..."

I pre-ordered it myself, based on Emily May's glowing review, but I wasn't prepared for it, and was blown away by the aesthetics of the book, and how the towers of Ketterdam are juxtaposed with the wings of the flying crow.

The world building was my first experience with Leigh Bardugo as an author (since I hadn't read the Grisha books) and I just thought she nailed every tangible sort of texture and mood to recall a very twisted Dickens Oliver Twist London, mixed with that sort of Colonial Age Amsterdam that ruled the world's finances. It's a time of pirates and gunpowder, and even tanks!

But yes, and yes again, the characters and their relationships drove the story. Kaz was my favorite by far, and thus Kaz and Inej, because he reminded me so much of a 40's noir detective, a bad good bad guy, and it felt to me Leigh was very meticulous in crafting his character, because everything in the book revolves around him, like the sun in our solar system. So without Kaz, there's no book. And I couldn't understand, since there was a deep connection between him and Inej, why he was so withdrawn, and Leigh's timing in revealing the mystery of Kaz and his problems with proximity and intimacy was perfect, building all the way up to that magnificent cliff hanger.

I'm also always nuts about things with snow and ice and winter. :)

message 4: by Amber (new)

Kaz was definitely my favourite character too. He had such a unique personality and I was genuinely intrigued about his backstory. Reading about the way he lost his big brother broke my heart. I wanted to know so badly why he didn't like touching anyone and now it makes perfect sense. I care about this character so much and, for me, it's very difficult to REALLY care about a character. I'm emotionally unattached to most characters I read; that's not to say I don't enjoy those books, but my favourite books are all ones where I felt a deep connection to the characters. I feel for Kaz and the things he's been through.

It's clear to me how hard Leigh worked to make her characters feel real, and it definitely paid off. Six of Crows is my second favourite book of all time.

And then there's Nina and Matthias. And Jesper and Wylan. And... god I loved this book.

Speaking of Jesper and Wylan, doesn't it look like they might become a thing later on? Or is it just me being that person that has to find someone for everyone.

message 5: by Luke (new)

Luke Taylor Amber wrote: "Kaz was definitely my favourite character too. He had such a unique personality and I was genuinely intrigued about his backstory. Reading about the way he lost his big brother broke my heart. I wa..."

I agree with you about caring about Kaz. He's a true anti-hero. But he is a hero. His devotion to Inej is boundless, and we care for Kaz because he's deep. We like him because he's smart and dangerous, but we care for him because he's very realistic and deep.

I think Leigh wanted to gauge how readers would react to each character and leave things more open to see how readers would take to her characters and their ships. To me, Nina and Matthias hearkens back to The Grisha Trilogy and all of its drama, whereas Kaz and Inej doesn't, and is unique to the Crows.

Jesper and Wylan balanced nicely personality-wise, but I don't get any depth from them, or any drama, like the other two. With Kaz and Inej, it's incredible devotion and flawed characters and pasts, with Nina and Matthias, it's a clash of cultures and military/religious indoctrination, mixed with a violently severed connection (that whole putting him in prison sort of thing, *sigh*) but with Jesper and Wylan it feels flat, like they're more for utilities and humor, as the heist would've been a bust without them.

Funny contrast how Kaz saved Inej from a sort of prison and Nina threw Matthias into one.

So it's the Ship Kanej sailing into a Crooked Kingdom for me!

message 6: by Amber (new)

I've seen this around lately: JesperxWylan which is what made me wonder about them in the first place, but personally I think they make a great pair as friends. I love their bickering and jokes. Jesper's comments made me laugh so many times throughout the book. Jesper and Wylan is a legit ship but I'm not sure how I feel about that. Some people will ship anything though. :)

message 7: by Luke (new)

Luke Taylor Jesper and Wylan are definitely a study of opposites, but I wouldn't want Leigh to make a ship that would sink. I think the other two help drive the story in such a strong and interesting way, and Wylan and Jesper are like accessories that accent the piece nicely. But that's just me. :)

message 8: by Amber (new)

Luke wrote: "Jesper and Wylan are definitely a study of opposites, but I wouldn't want Leigh to make a ship that would sink. I think the other two help drive the story in such a strong and interesting way, and ..."

I agree with that.

I wonder if getting Inej back will be the heist in the next book or if they get her back and then there is something else. I can't quite remember, but didn't they not get the money in the end? If so, I don't see Kaz giving up on getting his money.

Can't wait for Crooked Kingdom!

message 9: by Luke (new)

Luke Taylor I know! I hope Leigh takes her time though, like she did with Six of Crows. What a masterpiece! No Kaz didn't get his money, and he didn't get his girl. But now he knows what's more important to him. :(

It's widely thought that Inej will be the heist, but there are a lot of conspiracies floating around about seeing some favorite characters from The Grisha Trilogy, so you need to read them all before Kingdom comes out. Although, they are very different books, and I felt like I had such a grasp on Leigh's world just by reading Six of Crows.

I look forward to seeing another new place, maybe in Shu Han. It would be awesome if Leigh could capture like old British World War I era Hong Kong and there could be tea houses and rickshaws and like old Shu gangs that know crazy martial arts like Alina's teacher, Botkin.

message 10: by Amber (last edited Dec 08, 2015 02:04PM) (new)

I'm so excited to finish reading The Grisha Trilogy. There are so many possibilities of where that series could go. Will Alina defeat the Darkling or will she join the Darkling's cause? I don't see that happening but I'm silently hoping that she ends up with the Darkling. To me, the Darkling's character is more complex and mysterious than Mal's. I want to know more about the Darkling than I do about Mal. Then again, I always find myself cheering for the villain. You already know what happens so your probably reading this while laughing maniacally.

Anyway, once I finish reading The Grisha Trilogy, we need to start a new discussion and talk about it. I'm really curious about what you think of it.

message 11: by Luke (new)

Luke Taylor Cue laughter!!! I will tell you no secrets so ask me no questions, to quote Coldplay, but you can read my reviews of the books. But yes, we definitely will discuss them! I enjoyed them very much, Leigh Bardugo inspires me as an author and I'll always be thankful to her for that. :)

message 12: by Amber (new)

I read your reviews and it only made me ache to read the series even more. The struggles of a book nerd.

message 13: by Luke (new)

Luke Taylor The Darkling would tell you "It is wanting that makes us weak."

message 14: by Amber (new)

I wish the Darkling would tell me that! Too bad he's not real.

message 15: by Luke (new)

Luke Taylor Oh but he is! He's Tom Hiddleston! Have you seen Crimson Peak?

message 16: by Amber (new)

That just came out recently, didn't it? I remember seeing a preview of it and thinking it looked interesting. Now I'll definitely have to watch it.

message 17: by Luke (new)

Luke Taylor Also, you can listen to him narrate Sally Gardner's The Red Necklace on YouTube. It's magnificent. His voice is magical and I always thought The Darkling's greatest strength was his voice and what he said, how he could get into Alina's head and cause her worlds of drama.

PS, I think Mia Wasikowska, who is in Crimson Peak and is a natural blonde, would be a tremendous Alina Starkov given the chance, and their on screen chemistry would already be perfect.

:)

message 18: by Amber (new)

I will admit that Tom Hiddleson would make a great Darkling, but personally I imagined him more like Matthew Bell and I like Amelia Clarke as Alina. That's my casting.

message 19: by Luke (new)

Luke Taylor Amelia Clarke is superb, but I think Matthew Bell might be a bit young, but as a writer, I'm always casting and thinking with a very definite idea, and then readers imagine something else! But at least they're visualizing someone! That's what I say!

If it does become a movie we'll either groan or cheer about the casting, but we'll definitely know that the plot and dialogue was awesome! :D

message 20: by Amber (last edited Dec 09, 2015 01:37PM) (new)

Yeah, I didn't realize how old Amelia Clarke is compared to how old Matthew Bell is. Matthew Bell appeals more to me probably because he is more my age. I based my casting more on how I imagined them in my head and Amelia was the closest I could find to how I pictured Alina. If she were about ten years younger it would be perfect! :)

How do you feel about books being turned into movies? I don't always like it because I usually have a completely different idea in my head about how things look and when I go back to reread a book after it was made into a movie, I can't remember how I pictured it before I saw the movie. Books are the epitome of creativity and imagination and I feel like movies can sometimes spoil that beauty. I've already vowed that I will never watch The Darkest Minds if it ever gets turned into a movie because it was my favourite book of all time and I do not want it ruined for me forever.

No two people read the same book, but everyone watches the same movie. Know what I mean?

message 21: by Luke (new)

Luke Taylor I do know what you mean. I work from photographs, usually just a single photo, and it's funny when I show my friends and family who was my cast member and they're like, that's not who I thought or what I thought, and when they tell me, I think, yes, they would do a good job to, since there are different types of people and actors can play many different roles.

In some cases, the casting is perfect, like in the case of Jennifer Lawrence as Katniss. The books are first person narrative, but in a movie, I couldn't see having any other Katniss.

James Bond has been cast between 6 different actors in 6 different decades. And Sherlock Holmes, too! How many actors have played Sherlock!

I understand your thoughts about the book to movie issue, but most movies do come from books, and some are better, but most are not, primarily for the time constraint. Some books are paced as movies, content-wise, but most are TV shows, and let's face it, you don't watch a whole season in one day, just like you don't read a whole book in one day!

Some books SHOULD NOT be touched by film studios, but I think with the advent of CGI, film studios have been able to approach some books they never could, like with Lord of The Rings. Stanley Kubrick famously said Lord of the Rings was unfilmable, and he was a visionary. He simply didn't have the tools Peter Jackson had, and Lord of The Rings are widely regarded as people's favorite books and movies.

Some movies change the material for the movie and it doesn't work, other times it does. It really depends.

But you're so right that no two people read the same book, but everyone watches the same movie.

That said I think an Emelia Clarke Tom Hiddleston pairing would be the best of both worlds! :)

I think Darren Aronofsky would do a great job directing.

message 22: by Amber (last edited Dec 09, 2015 06:01PM) (new)

I was so happy with who was cast as Katniss. She is exactly how I imagined her. I wasn't happy with Josh Hutcherson as Peetah because I had seen him in so many other movies and I associated him with those stories already so it was hard for me to make the transition.

The only book to movie adaptation that I was almost completely happy with the casting was The Maze Runner. I was not happy with Minho at first because I did not remember him being Asian in the book, but I found out later that I must have missed that part in the book because it does say that. I can't get mad at who they cast because it was my own fault in this case. :) I'm still mad at myself for getting Minho's character wrong because he was my favourite character in that series! I love who was cast as Newt. I have so much respect for Thomas Sangster as an actor.

Then it's decided: Emelia Clarke and Tom Hiddleston shall play Alina and the Darkling! :) (I will always imagine the Darkling as Matthew Bell, but hey, I'm willing to compromise) :)

message 23: by Luke (new)

Luke Taylor :D

I think some actors have limited use, so to speak, because they become too well known as one thing or another, it's hard to watch a movie with them in it and think of them as "this" person when we'll always remember them as "that" person. I think it matters with the director and producers, too, because they make the decisions and the actors have a great way of doing what they're told, but also doing what they want to do. It's a trusting partnership.

I haven't seen The Maze Runner or read it, but I know it was a big deal and they should keep making all the movies of the books to finish it out. It seems like there might be production problems because the sets are hard to design and there's lots of action. Dashner's books have such great titles they would get people to see the movies anyway!

Funny thing was, I never imagined Alina because it was first person, but if I re-read I'll see her as Emelia. What about Mal???

If there was one book I'd want to be a movie I would really love to see Jay Posey's Legends of The Duskwalker Cycle. Three, Morningside Fall, and Dawnbreaker. Jay said he'd be glad to see Emily Blunt as Cass, but those books are so awesome and would be INCREDIBLE movies. The guy who did District 8 and Elysium would be a good director.

message 24: by Amber (new)

For Mal, I would either say Brant Daugherty or Max Irons. I'm having trouble finding a good match for Mal. What do you think?

message 25: by Luke (new)

Luke Taylor Max Irons is a great choice. I think Logan Lerman could do an excellent job. He is a little younger than Emilia, but I think Logan could really be a winner as Mal.

message 26: by Amber (new)

Logan Lerman would be great, but I'm not sure he would make a good match with Emilia. He also reminds me of the movie The Perks of Being a Wallflower, but you're always going to run into that issue with actors who are in a lot of movies. :)

I picture Mal with blond hair but I can't think of a good actor to play Mal that has blond hair! I chose Max Irons or Brant Daugherty, despite the fact that they do not have blond hair, because they are handsome like Mal is described and they look like the hunting type which is an important part of Mal's character.

message 27: by Luke (new)

Luke Taylor Yes, Mal should have a rugged outdoors-y-ness, but hair color is easily changed. I figured Logan for Mal's times of brokenness, humility, and his constant need to take a back seat in Alina's heart. If you've seen Noah and Fury, they both showcase certain emotional elements that Mal's character would have to cover during the course of the trilogy. I do think given the right tone of blonde hair with his brown eyes, he would be a striking but still normal looking working class sort of young man, but, he would not have the affluent and classical grace of The Darkling.

message 28: by Amber (new)

I agree, Logan would be perfect for displaying the emotional part of Mal's character while also not portraying the same kind grace as the Darkling. The Darkling and Mal have distinctly different auras and you can feel that when you read them so it should also come across in the movie as well.

message 29: by Luke (new)

Luke Taylor Yes! They are *so* different.

Hey, I look forward to our Siege and Storm discussions…

And our Ruin and Rising discussions!

Cue laughter…

:D

message 30: by Amber (new)

Cue distressed sobbing noises.

message 31: by Luke (new)

Luke Taylor Hey, look on the bright side. You only have to wait a few more weeks before I start THRONE OF GLASS!!!

:D

message 32: by Amber (new)

I am SO excited for you to read that series! I hope you love it as much as I do.

message 33: by Luke (new)

Luke Taylor I think I will. Most of my friends on Goodreads are MAASive fans! :D

message 34: by Amber (new)

I see what you did there. :)

message 35: by Luke (new)

Luke Taylor Sometimes I can't help myself.

Who would you want to play Celaena Sardothien if it were a mini-series or movie? I'll try to imagine her when reading!

Also, I was told by my friend Viktoria that I should read The Assassin's Blade before Heir of Fire, so, i should be ready by the time Sarah releases book 5.

message 36: by Amber (new)

I think Natalie Dormer would make a wonderful Celaena Sardothien. Fierce and beautiful!

I haven't read The Assassin's Blade yet, but I'm hoping to read it real soon. I don't usually read the novellas to books, but I loved this series too much not to.

message 37: by Luke (new)

Luke Taylor I can't believe you said her! I'm slightly obsessed with her and she was the inspiration for one of my characters in The Muiread! :D

Good choice! :D

message 38: by Amber (last edited Dec 13, 2015 12:32PM) (new)

Speaking of The Muiread, I will be starting it after I read Winter and The Madman's Daughter which I have to read for book club. I can't wait to finally read it!

I just wish I was done with Code Name Verity already! It put me in a major reading slump.

message 39: by Luke (new)

Luke Taylor That's awesome! We'll be able to talk about it here if you'd like, too. :)

I've heard only the best about Winter. I haven't read any of the books, but what better time for you to read Winter than now? ;)

message 40: by Kainat (new)

Kainat 《HUFFLEPUFF & PROUD》 My favorite is Nina. I like her and Mathias way better than Inej and Kaz. Before you start stabbing me in your mind, let me clarify this, i love Kaz and Inej, it just doesn't matter to me much weather they are romantically involved or just friends. Nina and Mathias on the other hand make me wanna cry how beautiful they are as a couple. Love/hate relationships are my favorite!!
Side note; i should change my name to "Unpopular Opinion".

message 41: by Amber (new)

:D I very much respect people who aren't afraid to share their unpopular opinion.

message 42: by Amber (new)

Has everyone seen the cover for Crooked Kingdom?! It's so beautiful. It goes nicely with the cover of Six of Crows.

message 43: by Kainat (last edited Feb 23, 2016 05:36AM) (new)

Kainat 《HUFFLEPUFF & PROUD》 Yes!! I logged in after a few days, yesterday, on goodreads and it was everywhere! It's perfect! I always see that crow as Kas. What's at the bottom?

message 44: by Amber (new)

I think it's a crown?

message 45: by Luke (new)

Luke Taylor Amber wrote: "I think it's a crown?"

Yes! A Crown! Beautiful! :D