Mystery/Thriller Reading Friends discussion

Playing with Fire
This topic is about Playing with Fire
Group Read Books - archive > Group Read - Playing With Fire General NO Spoilers

Comments Showing 1-21 of 21 (21 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ann (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ann (annrumsey) | 14835 comments Tess Gerritsen's Playing With Fire is our first Group Read book for 2016 - though you may start it whenever it suits you.
We'll divide the comments into six segments and a final comments thread, each of those threads with spoilers welcome. It looks like alternating points of view between Julia and Lorenzo.
So who is planning on reading this book? I look forward to it, I took a peak at the first paragraph on Amazon and it starts out nicely.

Carol/Bonadie (bonadie) | 8222 comments I plan to read, as soon as my copy comes in from the library. I'm hoping that is just as I'm finishing the audio of Career of Evil, which I've just started.

Dawn | 1320 comments How did I not realize this was the January read. I just finished it ;)

message 4: by Ann (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ann (annrumsey) | 14835 comments Dawn: Sounds like a December read!
Dawn wrote: "How did I not realize this was the January read. I just finished it ;)"

Carol/Bonadie (bonadie) | 8222 comments Boy, some people are really competitive, LOL!

Dawn wrote: "How did I not realize this was the January read. I just finished it ;)"

Shomeret | 1388 comments Carol/Bonadie wrote: "Boy, some people are really competitive, LOL!

Dawn wrote: "How did I not realize this was the January read. I just finished it ;)""

I also finished it, Carol. Not competitive, just lucky to get it sooner.

Dawn | 1320 comments Haha Carol! I'm going with Shomeret and saying just lucky...leaving out the part that I was clueless too ;)

message 8: by Sue (last edited Dec 13, 2015 10:37PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Sue | 26 comments I have also listened to the novel and finished it which is unusual for me as it seems to take me some time to get round to reading new books.

Tess Gerritsen is one of my favourite authors and I thought it was great that she produced a standalone novel. I love most of her Rizzoles and Isles series although I seemed to have stepped away from this series for a long time and in the middle of the series.

message 9: by Ann (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ann (annrumsey) | 14835 comments Sue: I was intrigued that Tess wrote a standalone too. I picked up the audio book today and should get to it soon, I'll probably read The Crossing first. It is next up on the queue right now based on due dates. ;)

message 10: by Anne (last edited Dec 18, 2015 05:27AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Anne | 143 comments I hadn't realised the discussion has already started on this - says the 10th Dec on the group page. Thought it was a Jan. book. Sorry but it's going to be a few weeks before I get to it. Hope it's still ok to chip in January:) oh, I think 'The Grownup' is just a short story - am I looking at the right edition for that? Thought it was a novel.

message 11: by Ann (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ann (annrumsey) | 14835 comments Anne: yes this book was slotted as January but several already read it and commented so I updated the start date as a Dec date leaving it extended through Feb 15 as a Dec/ Jan book.
We like being flexible on the dates we read the books selected for Group Reads so you will be fine reading in January! Several others probably will too. I expect to read it in January myself after my current books.
As for The Grownup, I'll check the edition I linked. It is a full novel as far as I know. Thanks for noting the changes and the edition too!!

message 12: by Anne (new) - rated it 4 stars

Anne | 143 comments Thanks Ann. :) Yeah, I just noticed on Amazon that on the front cover it said 'short story from the author of Gone Girl' http://www.amazon.co.uk/Grownup-Kindl...

message 13: by Ann (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ann (annrumsey) | 14835 comments Anne: Thank you!! Yes, it appears The Grownup is definitely a short story and a republish at that, previously in an anthology. Therefore it is not a good candidate for a Group Read. Oops, my fault for not noticing that. :)

Anne wrote: "Thanks Ann. :) Yeah, I just noticed on Amazon that on the front cover it said 'short story from the author of Gone Girl' http://www.amazon.co.uk/Grownup-Kindl......"

message 14: by Anne (new) - rated it 4 stars

Anne | 143 comments No probs. I was just wanted to make sure I was looking at the right one. Thanks:)

message 15: by Yawatta (new)

Yawatta Hosby (agathachristiefan) I'm looking forward to reading this book. It sounds pretty interesting!

message 16: by Ann (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ann (annrumsey) | 14835 comments It is a very good book, hope you enjoy it, Yawatta and join in the conversation.
Yawatta wrote: "I'm looking forward to reading this book. It sounds pretty interesting!"

message 17: by Donnajo (new)

Donnajo | 3638 comments My sister took the book and she's not liking it so far. she doesn't know whether to continue on because of how it's going or what. she wants me to find out how the reviews are so far. I only got to read the prologue at the library before I got it out and then was overbooked with books to review that I hadn't gotten to read anymore of the book.

message 18: by Amy (new) - rated it 4 stars

Amy | 1342 comments I thought it was just okay, but I wanted to see how it ended, so I kept on reading it.

message 19: by Ann (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ann (annrumsey) | 14835 comments The beginning of the book is a contemporary look at the story that leads to many flashback segments. I think she will find that the book changes from the way it was in the beginning as it goes along and that the beginning is still important. Cryptic enough? :)

Donnajo wrote: "My sister took the book and she's not liking it so far. she doesn't know whether to continue on because of how it's going or what. she wants me to find out how the reviews are so far. I only got to..."

message 20: by Amy (new) - rated it 4 stars

Amy | 1342 comments I was vey confused by something at the beginning, but I don't want to say anything yet. It was finally cleared up for me.

message 21: by Donnajo (new)

Donnajo | 3638 comments I think what put off without saying much was with the child but mrs techie came on goodreads and read the reviews. I told her when I have more time when we are at the shore I'm putting her on goodreads she said why I can go there and I told her the bookshelves and because she said she does't need it. Lol.