The Not a Book Club Club discussion

The Last Kingdom (The Saxon Stories, #1)
This topic is about The Last Kingdom
Saxon Stories > TLK: Prologue & Part 1 (Chapters 1-6)

Comments Showing 1-24 of 24 (24 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Rob, Mayor of Ghost Town (last edited Dec 06, 2015 03:28PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Rob (robzak) | 6374 comments Mod
Section 1

Please keep all discussion and speculation to the events of Prologue & Part 1 (Chapters 1-6).

No spoiler tags required. Though it would be highly appreciated if you Uncheck Add to my Update Feed to avoid accidentally spoiling this for your good read friends.

Please do not discuss events from later chapters/books.

message 2: by Rob, Mayor of Ghost Town (new) - rated it 4 stars

So these sections are kind of uneven. This part covers 60% of the book, but it's a short enough book to begin with and the author split it into 3 parts, so I figure I'll keep with that.

message 3: by Kat (last edited Dec 06, 2015 11:32PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kat | 1177 comments Hang on a second, don't I have that sitting on my bookshelf somewhere...? If I do, I'm in as well. But as you know I'm a slow reader. (Or rather, I'm a fast reader with zero reading time, haha)

Mark | 482 comments This is going to be very interesting in hearing what people think of this series.

Suzanne | 1582 comments So did you say this is a tv series? It sure seems like it could be. Very visual.

Ctgt | 629 comments Yes Suzanne, the first season just ended here in the U.S.

I'm about halfway through chapter 2 and have figured out that my knowledge of this time period is woefully inadequate. Found myself checking on numerous historical facts including the division on England during these years.

message 7: by Kat (last edited Feb 19, 2016 01:19AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kat | 1177 comments I think episode 7 just aired in the UK.

But I gather from a discussion in a historical fiction group here on GR that most people in that group did not like the actor playing Uhtred, as he's "too small, too skinny and too dark haired".

Haven't seen the show yet, so dunno.

Starting re-read of my copy tonight.

Suzanne | 1582 comments Thanks for the info - I'll need to check it out.

Wow I know nothing about this time period, which makes the book extra interesting to read.

Suzanne | 1582 comments I'm enjoying this a lot so far. I think the few books I've read from around this time period have been from the opposite perspective - the people seeing the Norse invaders and fighting/hiding. I like how the book portrays differing perspectives of invasion and war - like with the attacks by the monks then the razing of the monasteries.

I also like Ragnar a lot - he seems like a good leader.

Suzanne | 1582 comments I just finished this first second.

The descriptions are very visual - I can easily see how it could be on television.

The English trying to woo Uthred by putting him in a monastery and teaching him to read clearly don't know much about the typical boy! I suspect he had a nicer child/early teenagehood than he would have with his father.

message 11: by Ctgt (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ctgt | 629 comments I'm with you Suzanne. Most boys of that age would prefer outdoor action and adventure as opposed to academic studies. I think Rob might have posted an update with this quote
Start your killers young, before their consciences are grown. Start them young and they will be lethal.

message 12: by Mark (new) - rated it 5 stars

Mark | 482 comments How Uthred is treated by his fellow saxons and the way he is raised by Ragnar, really effects his future in this book. Also really effects his feelings to religions.

message 13: by Ctgt (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ctgt | 629 comments Mark wrote: "How Uthred is treated by his fellow saxons and the way he is raised by Ragnar, really effects his future in this book. Also really effects his feelings to religions."

You can see it already, I just finished a small section (view spoiler)

Suzanne | 1582 comments (I haven't read past Chapter 6, so this is a legal and small spoiler) - but yes also the different views of the afterlife - hmmm...would you rather sing all day or feast and uh...party?

message 15: by Rob, Mayor of Ghost Town (new) - rated it 4 stars

I'm enjoying the book so far. Almost none of this section was in the show. It takes up 60% of the book, but was portrayed as a single episode of the show. Personally I found the actor playing Uhtred good.

I enjoyed the show, but so far the book is better. You really get better insights to his upbringing that I guess the show felt wasn't as important as what's coming up.

I do find it funny that they try to rescue Uhtred by kidnapping him and trying to send him to a monestary. As you guys said, they seem to have little understanding of the tendencies of teenage boys.

message 16: by Rob, Mayor of Ghost Town (new) - rated it 4 stars

Oh and count me in for one of those ignorant of this part of England's history. I find the Roman architecture fascinating.

message 17: by Kat (last edited Dec 14, 2015 03:42AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kat | 1177 comments I have Saxon-ish ancestry from 3 of my grandparents (and in true keeping with that, was born in Lower Saxony in Germany), so I'm feeling very Saxon right now :)

message 18: by Mark (new) - rated it 5 stars

Mark | 482 comments I am glad you are all enjoying it. I live 40miles from Bebbanburg, now known as Bamburgh Castle.

message 19: by Andy (new) - rated it 4 stars

Andy | 23 comments Hope you all enjoy as is a grand series

Richard Eyres (richardeyres) I have read Cornwells Grail Quest series on audio and really enjoyed it. If people enjoy this, then i would recommend those.
I missed the TV series, so i have not been influenced in any way. I am really enjoying this book. The audiobook has a great narrator - and i have taken to the characters. The tone of the story is just to my liking.
Not sure how accurate this is, but that hardly matters to me. As long as i get the feel for the era, i don't mind too much about the accuracy.

I really wish i had started this earlier :)

message 21: by Rob, Mayor of Ghost Town (new) - rated it 4 stars

I'll make a note of Grail quest, especially the narrator is good. I've been doing this series in Kindle because I got most of the books on sale for like $2 a year or so ago (I think right around the time the show was coming out in the US).

I've heard this series changes narrators with The Burning Land though. I think the new narrator is John Lee, who I've enjoyed from some Sci-Fi books mainly.

I don't recall listening to a book from the original narrator though (and I'm blanking on his name). I believe Suzanne did audio for Sword Song and enjoyed it.

Richard Eyres (richardeyres) Just looked on audible and there are three different narrators for the series. A little annoying, but I suppose it is something we have to live with for ongoing series.

message 23: by Rob, Mayor of Ghost Town (last edited May 20, 2016 02:40AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

In my experience, that's really unusual actually.

message 24: by Kat (last edited May 20, 2016 03:43AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kat | 1177 comments Richard wrote: "I have read Cornwells Grail Quest series on audio and really enjoyed it. If people enjoy this, then i would recommend those."

I think Grail Quest was what first led me to Cornwell, who has been one of my favourite authors ever since.

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Sword Song (other topics)
The Burning Land (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

John Lee (other topics)