Nonfiction Navigators discussion

Bound to Have Blood: Frontier Newspapers and the Plains Indian Wars
This topic is about Bound to Have Blood
Fall 2015 > Bound to Have Blood review

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Molly (new)

Molly McKillip | 1 comments Bound to Have Blood: Frontier Newspapers and the Plains Indian Wars was written by Hugh Reilly, a history professor at the University of Nebraska in Omaha. It is a engaging nonfiction book focusing on the conflict between the United States and the Native Americans during the 1860s through the 1890s and the influences of local media on the events. Each chapter is devoted to a specific struggle, for example Chapter Four covers The Battle Of Little Bighorn, and organized chronologically. The chapters focus of eight significant struggles between white settlers and Native Americans including the Great Sioux Uprising, the Sand Creek Massacre, the Fort Laramie Treaty of 1868, the Battle of the Little Bighorn, the flight of the Nez Perce Tribe, the Cheyenne outbreak, the Trial of Standing Bear, and the Wounded Knee Massacre.
Overall, I quite enjoyed reading this book. I am a Journalism student at my high school, so I thought the illustration of how the newspaper coverage in the areas affected the public’s ideas and opinions about the Plains Native Americans and their struggles with the white settlers. The author does an amazing job weaving together the stories of these struggles with newspaper articles from the time of the events. By using these newspaper clippings to help tell the stories of these Midwestern towns, the difficult situations for each group of peoples comes to life and is suddenly much more relatable to our lives.
This book was relatively short compared to other nonfiction works about Native Americans. While it didn’t take me long to read, having a prior interest in this subject matter will really help readers enjoy the book. At times, the timeline of events got a little jumbled for me to follow, but I really liked have the chapters follow in chronological order because any time I missed something, starting the next chapter put me back on track.
All together, a great book! I would highly recommend to anyone interested in learning a little more about the Plains Native Americans.

message 2: by Mrs. Raabe (new)

Mrs. Raabe (molly_raabe) | 12 comments Molly,
Thank you for writing this review. I think it would compliment our library collection about Native american History.