Support for Indie Authors discussion

Archived Workshop No New Posts > Book cover - which eyes do you prefer?

Comments Showing 1-37 of 37 (37 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Melanie (last edited Dec 06, 2015 12:20PM) (new)

Melanie Tomlin | 52 comments Angel's Curse is the second book in the 'Angel Series', and is an urban fantasy novel.

I'm torn between the eyes on these cover. I've even viewed them as thumbnails to see if there's one I liked better!

What I like:
1/ being able to see a little or what looks like a pupil in the right eye (our right, not hers) of Cover A.

2/ that you can see the flames in Cover B, though the jagged edge just below the eyelashes in the left eye (our left, not hers) would need to be smoothed out.

Does that reddish-orange colour in Cover A appear more sinister?

These are near-to-final drafts, but I can still make some minor changes.

(If you want to get a better feel for the book, you can read the blurb here: Another blurb needing feedback, please!)

Cover A

Cover B

message 2: by Martin (new)

Martin Wilsey | 447 comments A

message 3: by Chikamso (new)

Chikamso Efobi (cheexy) | 92 comments Hi Melanie,
I personally prefer option A but let's see what others say.
Kind Regards
Chika

message 4: by Tim (new)

Tim Schaefer | 27 comments Yes, Melanie..."A" looks more sinister!

message 5: by Frederick (new)

Frederick Finch | 100 comments I prefer A option, if you add just a bit of shadow to the eye-rims so it won't look like fire flaws out of it.

message 6: by Quoleena (new)

Quoleena Sbrocca (qjsbrocca) A blends better with the shadowing of her face. It looks more like it's coming from within as opposed to being placed on top like B does. With a smidge more tweaking, you'll have it.

message 7: by T.R. (new)

T.R. Briar (trbriar) | 58 comments A seems to blend much more naturally with the face. B's implied brightness doesn't mesh well with her facial shading, and looks like a flame texture was pasted into her eye sockets. Like it's trying to be a light source, but it's not actually casting any light.

message 8: by G.G. (new)

G.G. (ggatcheson) | 2491 comments A

message 9: by Anthony Deeney (new)

Anthony Deeney | 437 comments Definite A

message 10: by Ashley (new)

Ashley Capes | 90 comments Another vote for 'a' :)

message 11: by Joe (new)

Joe Jackson (shoelessauthor) I like "A" better, but there is a dark spot near the top of her left eye (right side in the picture) that almost looks like an iris, which the other lacks.

message 12: by Quoleena (new)

Quoleena Sbrocca (qjsbrocca) Joe wrote: "I like "A" better, but there is a dark spot near the top of her left eye (right side in the picture) that almost looks like an iris, which the other lacks."

I agree. It should be both or neither.

message 13: by Rian (new)

Rian Nejar (riannejar) A.
B gives me the impression of a mask with holes for eyes and flames behind it...

message 14: by Dorsey (new)

Dorsey Jr. | 107 comments First one

message 15: by Kelsey (new)

Kelsey Jensen (kelseyjauthor) | 23 comments Definitely A. The brightness of the eyes in B don't seem to fit the sinister feel of the cover, at least in my opinion.

message 16: by Nicole (new)

Nicole Luckourt (nicole_luckourt) | 22 comments I vote for A too.

message 17: by K.B. (new)

K.B. Goddard (kbgoddard) A looks better to me too

message 18: by Melanie (new)

Melanie Tomlin | 52 comments It's awful when you start to doubt your initial decision... thank you to everyone who provided feedback! 'A' it is :-)

message 19: by Hannah (new)

Hannah Davenport I definitely agree with A. It looks more mysterious while B looks more demonic, which might deter some readers.

message 20: by Tyler (new)

Tyler Harris (tylersharris) | 36 comments Cover A makes me think the character is mysterious, cover B makes me think they are angry, like Hannah said. So it may depend on what tone you want to set.

message 21: by Ceanmohrlass (new)

Ceanmohrlass Ceanmohrlass | 69 comments Definitely A! cool!

message 22: by Elí (new)

Elí Freysson (eli_freysson) I would definitely go with A.

message 23: by Nathan (new)

Nathan Wall (goodreadscomnathanwall) | 37 comments A

message 24: by Tyler (new)

Tyler Woods I think you have "A" majority vote.

message 25: by Dwayne, Head of Lettuce (last edited Dec 12, 2015 02:15PM) (new)

Dwayne Fry | 4283 comments Mod
Comment deleted for blogwhacking (see definition of bookwhacking and insert "blog" for "book"). We do have a folder set aside for promoting blogs.

message 26: by Aaron-Michael (new)

Aaron-Michael Hall A

message 27: by [deleted user] (new)

I would vote for A, but make both eyes the same fill, so they look like they have some kind of an iris, left darker tho...

message 28: by K.C. (new)

K.C. Herbel (k_c_herbel) | 118 comments Be sure to look at it in the thumbnail size with which most folks will likely be introduced to your book. At that size, things that are dim in large view tend to be even dimmer - less pixels.

message 29: by M.L. (new)

M.L. (mlmackworth-praed) | 2 comments Hello Melanie! I would definitely go for A too.

message 30: by Nevada (new)

Nevada (vadatastic) | 20 comments T.R. wrote: "A seems to blend much more naturally with the face. B's implied brightness doesn't mesh well with her facial shading, and looks like a flame texture was pasted into her eye sockets. Like it's tryin..."

I agree with T.R.

I do like the flames from B though, it's just that they're too bright.

Also, I think it would be totally BA if some of the flames were leaking out, or throwing heat waves, from her eyes. I imagine it would be difficult to keep it form looking like tears, or maybe that would work here?

message 31: by Ama (new)

Ama (amahvanniarachchy) | 2 comments A

message 32: by Melanie (new)

Melanie Tomlin | 52 comments Thanks everyone... I went with A :-)

message 33: by Denae (last edited Dec 18, 2015 05:34PM) (new)

Denae Christine (denaechristine) | 167 comments I thought A, read the comments, and felt justified.

B's eyes were almost cartoon-y.

Good choice!

message 34: by Mark (new)

Mark (goodreadscommarkgillespie) | 27 comments 'A'. Good choice! :)

message 35: by R.J. (new)

R.J. Rice (RJRICEB2S) | 7 comments Certainly Like 'A' Better.

message 36: by Matt (last edited Dec 22, 2015 12:08PM) (new)

Matt (mattmargolis) | 8 comments neither look great to me... some transparency would help.

message 37: by Kylie (new)

Kylie Jude (kyliekerosene) | 10 comments I agree about A looking more sinister, but I might brighten it up a tad (sort of half way between the 2 colors) and maybe darken the pupils a bit more. Also, I love that the text is big and clear and easy to read from a distance, but I might use a font that's slightly more eye catching too (while still being easy to read of course) - just my 2 cents ;) good luck!