To Kill a Mockingbird To Kill a Mockingbird question

regional writing
Barbara Barbara Dec 06, 2015 10:01AM
I have a general question, having lived in both countries, Canada and the USA, I find it interesting that when I think of both countries when I think about the fiction writers that have emerged in both, I think predominantly of the prairies in Canada and in the USA I think of the south. It's not that there aren't many other great writers from other regions or many immigrants in both countries that explore the issues of two different cultures, but my question is why do I so easily think of the prairies in Canada as having produced some of the best Canadian literature and in the USA the south as having produced some of the best USA literature. Actually I am not sure this is the case when I actually look at many of the writers I have come to love over the years, but it seems to be a generalization of what has been ingrained in me over the years, what do you think????

Could it be influenced by the writers that are one's favorites or the most familiar are from those regions of the two countries?

A number of my favorite books are written by Southern US writers; there are far more from other parts of the country.

There are more New Englanders and Mid/Upper Midwest writers (in origin anyway) among my favorites. Some of the great US(American - more on that in a moment) writers for an extended period were Southern in theme or origin.

Many of the authors that are from the US that have developed a particular style thought of as 'American' are probably far more Southern than others. New England writers or some of the previously menitoned Mid western writers wrote/write about immigrant, international, and topics that are not as geographically influenced.

Referring to just 'English language' writers is a mistake. The US alone has two or three distinct periods of and types of writing that don't entirely overlap. The Puritan/New England/Revolutionary period is one greater theme that slowly led to the antebellum writing. Then there's the emergence of some of the first uniquely American(US) writing in the American Victorian pre-industrial phase. There is industrial and populist which has mostly faded from view becasue of what came next. Tthe 'new' stuff (100 years old in most cases) that is split among representative from various regions of the country. Think Hemingway, Fitzgerald, Wolfe, Lewis, etc. This was the era of the first 'greats' and beginning of the Nobel winners.

There are the writers of Southern background, birth/childhood at least who wound up successful in the west writing about themes that perhaps Southern tinged were not at all about what most US residents really thing of as the South. Think Faulkner who had to go to California and work in the film Industry to acheive fame. Steinbeck while a Californian is thought of as southern tinged at times becasue of his rural and populist themes. But he, Steinbeck isn't southern at all.

For anecdotal chucle, a favorite read from a Canadian author is from the writer Gordon R. Dickson, he's from Edmonton. Go figure . . .

Well, the country with the largest English speaking population is India! Of course as a percentage of our 1.2 billion people the English speakers are quite limited, yet they are overwhelmingly the largest in numbers.
These days there has been a proliferation of regional books - some of these have an universal appeal, even as the story-line is regional in nature.