Books on the Nightstand discussion

General chat > Christmas chapter books

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Louise (new)

Louise | 279 comments Hello :-)

In Denmark we have a tradition for christmas chapter books, for kids and for adults. Books with 24 chapters, and the idea is, that you read 1 chapter a day from Dec. 1st to Dec. 24th.

Do you have the same concept and if so, any recommendations? I'm looking for new books to read, as I've read most of the available ones in Danish :-)

message 2: by Pam (new)

Pam Lauman | 99 comments I've never heard of this but love the idea!

message 3: by Linda (new)

Linda | 2851 comments Mod
What a lovely idea, but new to me, too, Louise. I wonder about The Best Christmas Pageant Ever. It's only 96 pages, but I don't remember how many chapters it has.

message 4: by Deborah (new)

Deborah | 124 comments It is new to me as well. We always read a Christmas story aloud every day in December, and now that my children are grown they have continued the tradition with their families. I continue to read, and re-read something from my Christmas shelf of books during the holiday season, and sometimes throughout the year when I need a "lift".

message 5: by Louise (new)

Louise | 279 comments It's huge in Denmark, we have them on tv as well, and it's one of the best christmas traditions, watching the "julekalender" every day for 24 days with your family :-)

message 6: by Louise (new)

Louise | 279 comments Can you recommend some good ones Deborah?

message 7: by Deborah (new)

Deborah | 124 comments I am not home right now but will take a look at my shelf when I get home.

message 8: by Deborah (last edited Dec 07, 2015 08:08PM) (new)

Deborah | 124 comments Tidings of Comfort & Joy: A Tender Story of Love, Loss, and Reunion Tidings of Comfort & Joy A Tender Story of Love, Loss, and Reunion by T. Davis Bunn
The Christmas Tree - one of my favorites, I guess because we always go to see the tree in Rockerfeller Center each year. The Christmas Tree by Julie Salamon
The Christmas Train The Christmas Train by David Baldacci
Letters from Father Christmas Letters from Father Christmas by J.R.R. Tolkien
The Quiet Little Woman: A Christmas Story The Quiet Little Woman A Christmas Story by Louisa May Alcott
The Christmas Box The Christmas Box (The Christmas Box Trilogy #1) by Richard Paul Evans
I did not want to overwhelm you - hopefully something here will appeal to you.

message 9: by Aimee (new)

Aimee | 4 comments This is awesome! I can't wait to add this tradition for our family. Thanks for the info and book recommendations! Sorry I don't have any to recommend to you.