RMFAO (Reading My Frigging A** Off) discussion

Reading-Challenges > RMFAO 2016 Genre Challenge

Comments Showing 1-50 of 94 (94 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Heena (last edited Dec 11, 2015 08:30PM) (new)

Heena Rathore Pardeshi (heenarathore) | 2174 comments Mod
Hi guys,

I'm really excited to welcome all of you to the 2nd year of RMFAO's Genre Challenge! Last year we all read more genres than we ever did before. And that's one of the reasons why this challenge is so special.

Last year there were a few problems that I noticed in the genre challenge and to rectify them this year I've introduced a few changes. There are a few genres which are not liked by some participants and hence, it gets difficult for them to read that month.
So, this year I've decided to have 2 genres for each month. I've put in a lot of though in the genre combinations and hope that everyone will like them. If you have any suggestions or queries them please feel free to voice them as I'm open to making changes, but only till 31st of December. No changes will be made after 31st December 2015.

Genre list for each month: **Updated**
January- Science-Fiction + New Adult
February- Mystery-Thriller + Speculative-Fiction
March- Romance + Literary Fiction
April- Young Adult + Apocalyptic-Post Apocalyptic
May- Classics + Steampunk
June- Non-Fiction + Mythological/Regional
July- Dystopian + Graphic Novels
August- Contemporary + Historical
September- Humour + Retellings (Mythological or Farytails)
October- Horror + Paranormal
November- Fantasy + Gothic
December- Action + Adventure

Rules:
1. Only members can participate.
2. You have to read at least 1 book each month for respective genre (as per above list.)
3. You have to select a level (from the list below) and make an announcement here as well as your blog (if you have one.)

Levels:
Level 1: Casual Reader: 1 book (easy)
Level 2: Frequent Reader: 2 books (moderate)
Level 3: Bookworm: 3 books (mildly strenuous)
Level 4: Bibliophile: 4 books (strenuous)
Level 5: Bookiopath: 5 books or more (challenging)

Please mention what type of books you'll read:
PB: paperback
EB: e-Book
PB-EB: paperback and e-book

Notes:
1. You can read any number of books for either of the genres in one particular month. You can do both genres if you want or anyone if you want. The levels will depend on the number of books for one particular genre.
2. Take your time and go through your entire TBR-list before deciding the books to read.
3. You can join the challenge at any point of time.
4. You can drop out of the challenge any time you like.
5. You can select different levels every month for different genres.
6. Use this discussion board to share your reads with other members of the group.

Here's the new logo:

description

Have a wonderful evening!

message 2: by Dagny (last edited Dec 06, 2015 07:47AM) (new)

Dagny (madamevauquer) | 3271 comments Mod
Just to clarify, Heena, is it one book per month or two books per month (one from each genre choice)?

There are some months where I don't think I'll be able to read two, one from each choice, since I'll be also keeping up with other group reads. (I'm in for sure either way - I just might have a couple of 'fails' if it is one from each.)

message 3: by Heena (last edited Dec 06, 2015 09:07AM) (new)

Dagny wrote: "Just to clarify, Heena, is it one book per month or two books per month (one from each genre choice)?
There are some months where I don't think I'll be able to read two, one from each choice, sinc..."

It's not necessary to read both the genres in one month. It's more like a convenient option which will help the participants to read one genre if they don't wanna read the other one.
Like I'm not going to read non-fiction, so I'll be reading only Action books for June.

Levels will be counted for each genre (and not month.)
I hope it's clear now. I'll mention this point clearly under the "Notes" also. So that the new members will be able to understand.

message 4: by Heena (last edited Dec 06, 2015 09:11AM) (new)

**UPDATE**

I've created a hashtag for this challenge for Twitter, Facebook and Instagram. Please use it for all the related tweets, Instagram pics and posts.

#RMFAOgenrechallenge

Also, I'll be defining all the genres briefly in the respective threads for them. After that also if anyone has any doubts, please feel free to ask them.

message 5: by Dagny (new)

Heena wrote: "It's not necessary to read both the genres in one month. It's more like a convenient option which will help the participants to read one genre if they don't wanna read the other one."

Perfect! Thanks, Heena. July would have been a killer for me even if I had plenty of time. If I read a Dystopian and an Apocalyptic-Post Apocalyptic in the same month, I'd be risking a black funk, lol.

I'll be glad to see the definitions also. I haven't a clue about some of them.

message 6: by Dimple (new)

Dimple Malhotra This sounds so interesting. I will write a post on my blog for this challenge with the books that I am going to read. :)

message 7: by Manveer (new)

Manveer (manveerssj4) | 28 comments I guess I'll be joining this one. Do I have to comment somewhere specific to do so?

message 8: by Heena (new)

Manveer wrote: "I guess I'll be joining this one. Do I have to comment somewhere specific to do so?"

Hi Manveer, welcome to this challenge. You can announce your participation here itself. This is the main thread. Each month we'll have a different thread, so when the challenge begins I'll be posting those links here. You can then list your books there. :)

message 9: by Heena (new)

Dimple wrote: "This sounds so interesting. I will write a post on my blog for this challenge with the books that I am going to read. :)"

Yay, Dimple. Glad to have you in for this :)
And do post your link here so that we can visit your blog as well!

message 10: by Manveer (new)

Manveer (manveerssj4) | 28 comments Heena wrote: "Manveer wrote: "I guess I'll be joining this one. Do I have to comment somewhere specific to do so?"

Hi Manveer, welcome to this challenge. You can announce your participation here itself. This is..."

Well then, count me in!

message 11: by Heena (new)

Dagny wrote: "Heena wrote: "It's not necessary to read both the genres in one month. It's more like a convenient option which will help the participants to read one genre if they don't wanna read the other one."..."

Haha! I get it, maybe you can do classics for those genres (lighter ones) for it? I'm so looking forward to it cause darkness is like my thing, lol!

And I'm glad that you liked the idea. I saw it on one of the other groups and thought about doing it here as well as we have quite a few punk genres. Plus it'll help everyone understand what all they can include (in terms of linking far-fetched genres to these.)

message 12: by Heena (new)

Manveer wrote: "Well then, count me in! "

Welcome aboard!

message 13: by Greg (new)

Greg Schroeder | 2 comments Hi Heena!

I'd like to participate but the RSVP on Goodreads says "closed" Please let me know if I missed a step. I'd be level 1 and either E-book or paper...

Greg

Erin *Proud Book Hoarder* (erinpaperbackstash) I'd like to join in as well

message 15: by Heena (new)

Greg wrote: "Hi Heena!

I'd like to participate but the RSVP on Goodreads says "closed" Please let me know if I missed a step. I'd be level 1 and either E-book or paper..."

Thanks for letting me know about it, Greg. I just found out that the RSVP's ending date was marked Jan 2015 instead of 2016.
And great to have you onboard :)

message 16: by Heena (new)

Erin (Paperbackstash) wrote: "I'd like to join in as well"

Hi Erin, welcome to the Genre Challenge. In a few days, we'll start declaring our possible reads for every (or any genre we already have books in mind for)... so feel free to share your TBR list with everyone :)

message 17: by Heena (new)

ATTENTION MEMBERS

There was a glitch in the Genre Challenge's event invite. I've tried to fix it and I think it should work properly now. Please let me know if you still can't respond to it.

Thank You

Heena

message 18: by Steve (last edited Dec 07, 2015 10:06AM) (new)

Steve | 208 comments I'm really not into romance or urban fantasy (March), so I'm going to read westerns that month. For April, where you have YA/NA, I'll be reading espionage and spy novels.

I'll probably stay pretty close to the rest of the list at level 5+, primarily reading ebooks. :)

message 19: by Dagny (new)

Steve wrote: "For April, where you have YA/NA, I'll be reading espionage and spy novels. "

I only recently became aware of Young Adult - and now I haven't a clue what New Adult is, lol. At least I know I can read a Rainbow Rowell for April.

message 20: by Steve (new)

Steve | 208 comments Dagny wrote: "I only recently became aware of Young Adult - and now I haven't a clue what New Adult is, lol. "

All I know is that I am DEFINITELY NOT in the target demographic for either the YA or NA genre. LOL

message 21: by Dagny (new)

Steve wrote: "All I know is that I am DEFINITELY NOT in the target demographic for either the YA or NA genre. LOL "

Do I qualify? I'm still in my early 70s, lol. (No wonder I have no interest in reading the trials and tribulations of teenagers.)

message 22: by Steve (new)

Steve | 208 comments Dagny wrote: "Do I qualify? I'm still in my early 70s, lol."

I'm in my early 50s (and I think I'm still young mentally :D ) but I also have no interest in that.

message 23: by Heena (new)

@Dagny and @Steve

I see what the problem is. I've tried to shuffel the genres a little, let me know if this arrangement is better:

January- Science-Fiction + New Adult
February- Mystery-Thriller + Speculative-Fiction
March- Romance + Literary Fiction
April- Young Adult + Apocalyptic-Post Apocalyptic
May- Classics + Steampunk
June- Non-Fiction + Mythological/Regional
July- Dystopian + Graphic Novels
August- Contemporary + Historical
September- Humour + Retellings (Mythological or Farytails)
October- Horror + Paranormal
November- Fantasy + Gothic
December- Action + Adventure

No here, I've excluded Urban Fantasy because ultimately it is a sub-genre of Fantasy itself. So while reading Fantasy, Urban Fantasy and High Fantasy can also be read. So there's no need for it to add seperately.
I think this combination will ensure that everyone has atleast one genre every month that they can look forward to.
Let me know if soething doesn't fit right.

message 24: by Manaswin (new)

Manaswin (goodreadscombook_worm77) | 37 comments Wow!! Two genres a month. What's a challenge if it's not challenging? Count me in. Though there are quite a few genres which I'm not really into like Dystopian,steampunk but the revised combination definitely ensures that I can cover at least one per month.

message 25: by Dagny (new)

Ah, no black funk for me - but you'll still have your darkness. Thanks, Heena.

message 26: by Dimple (new)

Dimple Malhotra I just posted my list on my blog and when I came here to share it with you guys I realized that the list is updated. I had to update my post again. :P

Here's my list-
https://enthrallingdimple.wordpress.c...

Tell me what do you guys think? :)

message 27: by Steve (new)

Steve | 208 comments Dimple wrote: "I just posted my list on my blog and when I came here to share it with you guys I realized that the list is updated. I had to update my post again. :P

Here's my list-
https://enthrallingdimple.w..."

Welcome to the insanity challenge, Dimple! :D

message 28: by Dimple (new)

Dimple Malhotra Steve wrote: "Dimple wrote: "I just posted my list on my blog and when I came here to share it with you guys I realized that the list is updated. I had to update my post again. :P

Here's my list-
https://enth..."

Haha, Thank you, Steve! :D

message 29: by Dagny (new)

Dimple wrote: "Here's my list-

You're so organized, Dimple! I don't do well if I try to schedule very far in advance. Of course I can't with group reads because they're not decided on that far in advance, but even with books I pick myself, another book always gets bossy and shoves itself ahead of others, lol.

message 30: by Steve (new)

Steve | 208 comments Dagny wrote: "Dimple wrote: "Here's my list-

You're so organized, Dimple! I don't do well if I try to schedule very far in advance. Of course I can't with group reads because th..."

I'm with Dimple on this. I have an Excel workbook that I use to plan my reading for about a year out. Of course, it gets modified greatly over that time, but it's still fun to plan for the great books coming! :D

message 31: by Dagny (new)

Steve wrote: "I'm with Dimple on this. I have an Excel workbook that I use to plan my reading for about a year out. Of course, it gets modified greatly over that time, but it's still fun to plan for the great books coming! :D"

Steve! Am I going to be the odd one out? The extent of my planning (other than group reads) is sitting in front of my "next" bookcase.

message 32: by Dimple (new)

Dimple Malhotra Steve wrote: "Dagny wrote: "Dimple wrote: "Here's my list-

You're so organized, Dimple! I don't do well if I try to schedule very far in advance. Of course I can't with group re..."

I make a rough draft of the books I want to read in a month. I was thinking about making a monthly list for the first half of the year... So that I could work on my ginormous tbr. :p
i could do with some tips though. :)

message 33: by Dimple (new)

Dimple Malhotra Dagny wrote: "Dimple wrote: "Here's my list-
https://enthrallingdimple.w.ance. Of course I can't with group reads because th..."

Haha.. That's why I mentioned in the end of the post that I will be keeping my options open. Sometimes you find another book or sometimes the list gets overewhelming.

message 34: by Manveer (new)

Manveer (manveerssj4) | 28 comments Dimple wrote: "I just posted my list on my blog and when I came here to share it with you guys I realized that the list is updated. I had to update my post again. :P

Here's my list-

Already planned out, huh? I like it actually. Well, actually even I have a few of the ones I want to read in mind, but I didn't make a concrete list like this. I like the idea actually and I guess I should make one right now.

message 35: by Manveer (last edited Dec 11, 2015 01:48AM) (new)

Manveer (manveerssj4) | 28 comments Also, interesting choice of books. I'm actually gonna steal 1984 for Feb from your list. And oh, another thing. I noticed Labyrinth in your list. I have had that book lying around my house since I bought it from a second hand book shop like five years ago and have never even bothered to open it. The thing is I have never really heard anyone talking of it or seen anyone reading it. If you could only tell me all the good things you have heard about the book, that would be helpful.

message 36: by Heena (last edited Dec 11, 2015 08:20AM) (new)

Great to see that everyone is so excited about the challenge.
I've also finalized "some" of the books that I'll be reading in 2016, but I'll be adding more as we go ahead.

Science Fiction:
From A Distant Star
Earth And Sky
Dark Migration
Monsterland
Tarnished
Shattered Blue
Forget Tomorrow
The First #1
The First #2
Sleeping Giants

Mystery/Thriller:
Written In The Blood
The Lie
Blood On Hampton Beach
The Ravens
Ghost Fleet
What She Left
Manhattan Mayhem
The Zombie Game
The Insect Farm
The Night Ferry
Paradise Sky
Awake
The Thirteenth Coffin
Poison Bay
Just Fall
Head In The Box
Blood Tacks
Shutter Man
The Elk
Death In Devon
Lost Girls
Her Final Breath
A Cold White Fear
Tear Drop
Sirens In The Night
Hanover House
The Passenger
The Doll Maker
Within

Speculative-Fiction:
The Sudden Arrival Of Violence
How A Gunman Says Goodbye
The Necessary Death Of Lewis Winter

Romance:
Days Like This
Perfectly Broken
Loves’ Conqueror

Literary-Fiction:
Memory Man
The Color Of Our Sky
The Green Pen
The Western Lonesome Society
Crooked
Try Not To Breathe
The Things We Keep
Helter Skelter #1
Helter Skelter #2
When We Were Animals
The Half Truth
Darker Shadows Lie Below

Young Adult:
Scream (Lakeview Novel #3)
Fairy Keeper
Neverland
The Rush
Boywatching
Divergent Thinking
Always Remembered
Dark Rising
This Is Where It Ends
Warren The 13th And The All-Seeing Eye
Black Widow Forever Red

Non-Fiction:
The Whole By Contemp. Of A Single Bone
Growing Healthy House Plants

Classics:
Gulliver Of Mars
Little Women

Contemporary:
The Torn Up Marriage

Horror:
Thirteen Days Of Midnight
The Incurables
The Red Mohawk

Paranormal:
Dark Child (Coven’s Rising) series (#1 to #8)

Fantasy:
The Zeuorian Awakening
Never Forgotten
Fable: Blood Of Heroes
In The Blood

Most of the books are from NetGalley, so I am yet to include the ones from the library and my book hauls.
Like this year, I'll be reading 100 books next year as well but if I'll have to get busy with the publication and marketing process of my own debut novel then I might be taking a break in between for a few months or so.

All the best everyone!

message 37: by Dagny (new)

Heena wrote: "Like this year, I'll be reading 100 books "

I will be also. How many do I already know for sure? Three, lol. And none of them even fit for this Challenge. They're group reads which are already scheduled.

message 38: by Heena (new)

Dagny wrote: "Heena wrote: "Like this year, I'll be reading 100 books "

I will be also. How many do I already know for sure? Three, lol. And none of them even fit for this Challenge. They're group reads which a..."

Hehe! 3 is a good start :D
I was just browsing for some classic reads and I think I'll be doing Little Women and Gulliver Of Mars for Classics challenge as well as this one (for classics month.)

message 39: by Dimple (new)

Dimple Malhotra Manveer wrote: "Also, interesting choice of books. I'm actually gonna steal 1984 for Feb from your list. And oh, another thing. I noticed Labyrinth in your list. I have had that book lying around my house since I ..."

I don't remember what I heard about it. But it was one of those books whose name keeps popping up some or the other time, that's the reason I couldn't resist buying it. I also never got around reading it. Maybe this time... :P

message 40: by Dimple (new)

Dimple Malhotra Heena wrote: "Great to see that everyone is so excited about the challenge.
I've also finalized "some" of the books that I'll be reading in 2016, but I'll be adding more as we go ahead.

Science Fiction:
From ..."

The remaining books apart from the challenge that I will be reading are from netgalley and the ones that I got from the authors.
Reviewing has kind of clouded my reading preferences so with this list I am trying to read the books that I have always wanted to read. :)

message 41: by Heena (new)

Dimple wrote: "The remaining books apart from the challenge that I will be reading are from netgalley and the ones that I got from the authors.
Reviewing has kind of clouded my reading preferences so with this list I am trying to read the books that I have always wanted to read. :) "

I can understand! Even I wanted to do this but I have at least 200 NetGalley books to read and review and as I'm writing my second novel, I think it'll be crazily chaotic when I do JuNo and Camp NaNo in June and July 2016... I haven't even counted the review requests...lol! I'm just glad that I have 3 review contributors who review most of the requested books, otherwise, I would have had to close down the requests again.
Here's hoping that everything will go smoothly in 2016 and we all will be able to read all the books we are planning for :)

PS: We also have a NetGalley challenge if you wanna join.

message 42: by Dimple (new)

Dimple Malhotra Heena wrote: "Dimple wrote: "The remaining books apart from the challenge that I will be reading are from netgalley and the ones that I got from the authors.
Reviewing has kind of clouded my reading preferences..."

I have 130 books to review on NetGalley. If the challenge helps, I sure am up for it. :P

I am clueless about JuNo. What's that?

message 43: by Heena (new)

Dimple wrote: "I am clueless about JuNo. What's that? "

It's a NaNo spin-off. Month long writing fest.

message 44: by Dimple (new)

Dimple Malhotra Heena wrote: "Dimple wrote: "I am clueless about JuNo. What's that? "

It's a NaNo spin-off. Month long writing fest."

Ohh! All the best! :D

message 45: by Manveer (new)

Manveer (manveerssj4) | 28 comments Dimple wrote: "Manveer wrote: "Also, interesting choice of books. I'm actually gonna steal 1984 for Feb from your list. And oh, another thing. I noticed Labyrinth in your list. I have had that book lying around m..."

I guess I'll give it a try too, then! I personally don't even remember why I bought it. :P

It's amazing how you guys managed to read 100 books over an year. I have managed only around 50-60 every year. Well anyways, Here's to another year of 50+ books. Might as well share some of the books I have in mind. I am only listing one per month for now. Will add as time goes along :)

Jan - Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy (Been waiting for a long long time)
Feb - 1984
March - All the Light We Cannot See
April - All the Bright Places
May - Clockwork Angel
June - Magnus Chase and the Gods of Asgard
July - (Birthday Month hype!) I read Graphic Novels almost every week. So well, whatever is new at the time.
Aug - The Name of the Rose
Sept - Three men on the Bummel (I LOVED Three men in a boat!)
Oct - City of Ashes
Nov - Gardens of the Moon (Because why not? Let's start here and continue the series for 10 months! I have wanted to read a long series over an year)
Dec - The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn. The Adventures of Tom Sawyer was one of the first books my mother bought me (An abridged version, ofc). Sentimental feels.

Also, Please suggest books, please do. I am always looking for suggestions.

message 46: by Dimple (new)

Dimple Malhotra Manveer wrote: "Dimple wrote: "Manveer wrote: "Also, interesting choice of books. I'm actually gonna steal 1984 for Feb from your list. And oh, another thing. I noticed Labyrinth in your list. I have had that book..."

The books you have selected are mostly the books that are on my TBR. I don't have those books so they aren't in my list. :P

message 47: by Heena (new)

Dimple wrote:"Ohh! All the best! :D"

message 48: by Heena (new)

Manveer wrote: "It's amazing how you guys managed to read 100 books over an year. I have managed only around 50-60 every year. Well anyways, Here's to another year of 50+ books. Might as well share some of the books I have in mind. I am only listing one per month for now. Will add as time goes along :)
Jan - Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy (Been waiting for a long long time)
Feb - 1984
March - All the Light We Cannot See
April - All the Bright Places
May - Clockwork Ang....."

Nice selection of books, Manveer. I see you have quite a lot of classics there. Great picks :)

message 49: by Dagny (new)

Manveer wrote: "Sept - Three men on the Bummel (I LOVED Three men in a boat!)"

I too loved Three Men in a Boat. It might be the first book where I actually did crack up and laugh out loud. Three Men on the Bummel was ok, but in a way it was a disappointment because I didn't find it as hilarious as the first one. But it might have just been my mood while reading it too.

message 50: by Manveer (new)

Manveer (manveerssj4) | 28 comments Dagny wrote: "Manveer wrote: "Sept - Three men on the Bummel (I LOVED Three men in a boat!)"

I too loved Three Men in a Boat. It might be the first book where I actually did crack up and laugh out loud. Three ..."

Aww. That's a bummer, I will still try to give it a go, though. If I don't like the first few chapter I'll simply drop it. I read Three men in a boat a few years ago while on a vacation with my family and I really loved it back then.

Heena wrote: "Manveer wrote: "It's amazing how you guys managed to read 100 books over an year. I have managed only around 50-60 every year. Well anyways, Here's to another year of 50+ books. Might as well share..."

Thanks!

« previous 1