♥ Nothing Better Than Reading!! ♥ discussion

BR & BOTM Archives > BR9 Sejal ~~Tina (Start date dec.6)

Comments Showing 1-50 of 98 (98 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Tina (new)

Tina Sylvia Plath and her words enter our minds and hearts.

message 2: by Tina (new)

Tina I have read about the life of Sylvia Plath but have never took the time to read The Bell Jar. Now I am honored to team up with Sejal and discuss this much loved book.

message 3: by Tina (last edited Dec 06, 2015 04:41PM) (new)

Tina Wow I had to pull myself out this book! Sylvia Plath begins with her telling of Esther Greenwood's account of her trip to New York because she won a contest about writing fashion. Set in the 1950's, Esther is living the life made of dreams. But it seems she can't enjoy it. And the description of her every step is amazing. So vivid it's like I'm with her in New York. Every detail is described with emotion yet Esther feels numb.
Sejal, did you feel the same way?

message 4: by Aniket (new)

Aniket (aniketbarik) | 162 comments This is the first Sylvia Plath book I've picked up as well. And the narration is breathtakingly beautiful!

message 5: by Tina (new)

Tina As part of the winners gifts, a free expense account is set up so those winners can go out to lavish parties and meet famous writers and other well known people in the fashion and writing business.
One night Esther tags along with her friend Doreen. While sitting in a taxi and man comes up and asks them to join then. Esther is introduced to a man she has decided she wants nothing to do with. As the night progresses the man decides to ask Doreen to his apartment. Esther is invited by Doreen to come along. Once there they become drunk, Doreen and the man (a famous DJ) began dancing and kissing. Still drunk Esther leaves the party of 2 feeling very uncomfortable. And perhaps a bit angry at Doreen. She walks blocks and blocks back to the hotel. She doesn't take a taxi.
Once back at the hotel she is sober and begins to think as she looks out the window onto the New York streets. To her she does not hear the busy sounds often associated with the big city. "The silence depresses me. It wasn't the silence of silence. It was my own silence."
This statement for the first time has allowed me to feel that silence she speaks of. I understand it in my own mind. As do we all at times I'm sure.

message 6: by Tina (last edited Dec 07, 2015 09:35AM) (new)

Tina Haven't quite finished yet, but knowing of Sylvia Plath"s real life I have a hint of what is expected. I just need to know the exact words she uses to explain Esther's "madness."
Did you enjoy it? Was it what you were expecting? You zoomed through it! lol I'm glad you liked it. I have a friend Aniket who is also reading the same book and his comments are welcome to if you don't mind.
I was so worried you wouldn't like the book based on the era and the message it sends.
Sejal I am sad to say she has no other books. But her family did find several poems that were not destroyed by her husband after her death.

message 7: by Tina (last edited Dec 07, 2015 09:44AM) (new)

message 9: by Tina (new)

Tina Also there were journals sent to the sister by Sylvia Plath. And I believe they are published works.

message 10: by Tina (new)

Tina Ah, the term bell jar. Sylvia Plath, looking from the inside out. No sounds, smells or touch. A sad place to be, she felt she was there. Unable to reach anyone, even with her beautiful words til after her death.

message 11: by Tina (new)

Tina This book was set in the time before Prozac and medications for the works of the mind. Most were sent off to Insane Asylums. Men sent their wives there for having PMS! And no one dared SPEAK of their moods or feelings! To hold it all in until one day the brain and heart and soul says "no more". What a sad journey. Sylvia Plath's life closely resembles this book about Esther. It's a book we as society must still learn from. We must listen to our friends and family when they cry for help in maybe subtle ways. This book reminds me to be a listener and notice changes in their persona. Maybe I can prevent a friend from taking the journey alone.

message 12: by Tina (new)

Tina Sejal wrote: "The thing that struck me the most was that esther was having a life which was on the outside was amazing but on the inside she felt lost and trapped.And ofcourse her description is amazing.I am sti..."

That was very awakening and moving to me. An oh so true. "We as a society must continue to fight ignorance..and intolerance against depression." Well...maybe me and you can start right here..right now.

message 13: by Tina (new)

Tina Sejal it's your turn to choose. Or Aniket can. If he doesn't answer by tonight I'll message him. This is soo much fun! Yes, it is time to uplift our book mood!!lol

message 14: by Tina (new)

Tina I highly recommend this book as a must read. Esther's struggle strongly resembles the authors quiet yell for help. How mental health in the 1950 was treated(or not) is astounding and at times cruel. My heart broke for Esther, the words to describe her pain is incredible! Depression as seen threw the eyes of Esther can scare some people. Or the people with the depression can relate to this book. And maybe the people who can't speak of it, maybe, they can borrow Sylvia Plath's words. Thanks for joining us everyone.

message 15: by Tina (new)

Tina Just waiting for Aniket to get back in touch.
Shall we do contemporary? You have a few YA. So do I. And I know Aniket loves almost all books!

message 16: by Tina (new)

Tina Sorry Sejal just saw your suggestions, let me look at them. Hang on.

message 17: by Tina (new)

Tina I think the James Patterson one looks good. I just got rid of my Freakanomics to the used book store. Maybe that will be my credit for the James Patterson book!! Give me a day or 2 to get the book we decide on.

message 18: by Aniket (new)

Aniket (aniketbarik) | 162 comments Oh, you two read the book so fast! I've been studying maths the whole day! You can start reading another book, I read really fast when I'm at it, so I'll finish The Bell Jar in no time. Apologies!

message 19: by Aniket (new)

Aniket (aniketbarik) | 162 comments Oh, then it's fine. It's morning here, and I just woke up. The date's 8th December. I'll be done with The Bell Jar today, so we can start with another book together.

message 20: by Tina (new)

Tina Yeah have a bit more to read but would love to start on another one. Sejal, do you want me to do another thread? That way Aniket can comment on Bell Jar. Aniket look at Sejal's suggestions above. I like the James Patterson one. But I have to go get a used bookstore, so might take a day or so.

message 21: by Aniket (new)

Aniket (aniketbarik) | 162 comments I like the James Patterson one too! We can read that.
And no, please don't bother yourself so much, you don't need to create another thread. By the time you get the James Patterson book, I'll be done discussing The Bell Jar. Unlike you two wise ladies, my review isn't going to be very insightful anyway!

message 22: by Tina (new)

Tina Good, it's settled. Sundays at Tiffany'sJust give me a day to get book. Unless I can find it online cheap.

message 23: by Aniket (new)

Aniket (aniketbarik) | 162 comments Alrighty, then! I'll get down with The Bell Jar.

message 24: by Tina (new)

Tina me too!

message 25: by Tina (new)

Tina Bookstore closed. Open tomorrow. Kindle dead Sejal! BUT I did find The Postcard Killers by James Patterson if we have time to read another one Sejal. Now you have me on a James Patterson kick!!

message 26: by Tina (new)

Tina Aniket. Are you finding Sylvia's Plath The Bell Jar sad or very open for the date it was set in? Still could pertain to anyone today. Sad is also knowledge.

message 27: by Aniket (new)

Aniket (aniketbarik) | 162 comments Both. And the narration is so good, the book draws you in from the very beginning. The descriptions are so vivid, you can actually visualize the things easily, there are some books, where you have to put efforts to visualize the scenes, the settings and the characters, but this is certainly not one of them! And I was amazed that she really left Doreen in front of her door and didn't take her in! And I can relate to her when she talks about physics and chemistry because I actually know people who have gone through that. It also reveals another dark side of our society where you are expected to do things that you have no interest in doing, or don't want to do, or moreover you don't know how to do. But people not only expect you to do it, but also to be brilliant in it. And it's just sad to be in a world where you live according to other's expectations.

message 28: by Tina (new)

Tina Brain disorders, such as depression and manic depression are closely linked with artistic tendencies. Such as Vincent Van Gogh and Robin Williams. I believe writing, painting , acting etc. are outlets for them to express themselves. Society can and will continue to believe depression is all "choice." The facts are in favor of depression as a brain chemical balance. And what beautiful works can be derived from such a horrible illness.

message 29: by Tina (new)

Tina I'm reading where Esther is on a "date" with someone named Marco. I believe she is beginning to slip even further into the abyss.. I can even visualize her black dress and sheath.

message 30: by Tina (new)

Tina Just starting the James Patterson Sunday at Tiffanies,
busy at work lately for the holidays.

message 31: by Aniket (new)

Aniket (aniketbarik) | 162 comments I'm just starting with it, Sejal. I'm sorry that I couldn't start early, I had my exams going on. Now I'll read fast!

message 32: by Tina (new)

Tina me too!

message 33: by Aniket (new)

Aniket (aniketbarik) | 162 comments And I absolutely loved The Bell Jar. But man, was it depressing!

message 34: by Aniket (new)

Aniket (aniketbarik) | 162 comments Very well, hope we all have a good time!

message 35: by Aniket (new)

Aniket (aniketbarik) | 162 comments And Tina, thank you SO MUCH, for introducing me to Sylvia Plath and this book!

message 36: by Tina (new)

Tina I am so glad you guys gave it a chance! I know it was depressing but very eye opening. And it is considered a classic.
Now you gave are introducing me to James Patterson, whom I have never given the chance til now. Thank you.

message 37: by Tina (new)

Tina I am really enjoying this book! I never knew James Patterson wrote this genre. I thought his were more mystery like. But I suppose this is a mystery in it's own sense. Jane as a child has an imaginary friend to help her with a famous non-caring like mother. Her mother is more concerned about Jane's looks (weight ,hair) than her aching heart. And is Michael real? He does and doesn't exist.
Flash forward to Jane grown up but still under her Mom's radar. Working for her mother she writes a play about her and Michael when she was a child. And it's a hit. And Jane's boyfriend is a pompous jerk I think.
Then Michael see's Jane grown up. But he shouldn't see her.
I want to know if he's REAL!! And if he is, what is he? An angel or human?
Of course I have to keep reading because this book makes me want an imaginary friend. But it really reminds me of how we all need a friend in our lives. And it shows how we should treat our friends!
Thanks for this book Sejal and Aniket.
Is Micheal real you guys? lol No don't tell me!!!!

message 38: by Tina (new)

Tina lol!

message 39: by Aniket (new)

Aniket (aniketbarik) | 162 comments Haha, but he has to be real, right? It wouldn't be paranormal otherwise.

message 40: by Aniket (new)

Aniket (aniketbarik) | 162 comments Or is it not paranormal?

message 41: by Aniket (new)

Aniket (aniketbarik) | 162 comments Google says it's not, I was kind of hoping it is. Haha, I got the genre all wrong!

message 42: by Tina (new)

Tina I love paranormal books and I too began to wonder if this book was leading to that, but this is so heartfelt. too true. James Patterson does lead toward the mystery genre I think. Have you read any paranormal lately Aniket?
Oh wait didn't James Patterson do a kid's series that was sort of paranormal?

message 44: by Aniket (new)

Aniket (aniketbarik) | 162 comments No, I haven't read any paranormal in a long time. I might try one after Sunday with Tiffany's. I also want to read the Slip Trilogy soon.

message 45: by Aniket (new)

Aniket (aniketbarik) | 162 comments Okay, here's a thought. If he's real, does he earn money from his job of being an imaginary friend? How does he afford the hot dogs, taxi, appartment and all?

message 46: by Aniket (new)

Aniket (aniketbarik) | 162 comments Okay, got the answer. Lol.

message 47: by Tina (new)

Tina Yes, but HOW does he have a social security number? If he has stayed young for so long? lol

message 48: by Aniket (new)

Aniket (aniketbarik) | 162 comments That's right!

message 49: by Aniket (new)

Aniket (aniketbarik) | 162 comments Maybe, but I don't remember having one. Did you have one?

message 50: by Aniket (new)

Aniket (aniketbarik) | 162 comments Alright, call me a sentimental.

« previous 1