Aussie Readers discussion

A Little Life
This topic is about A Little Life
Individual Book Discussions > A Little Life - Hanya Yanagihara

Comments Showing 1-17 of 17 (17 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Brenda, Aussie Authors Queen (new)

Brenda | 70506 comments Mod
For those of you who have read this book - and loved it; found it to be profound and moving - and for those who haven't loved it! The discussion is open to all:)

Elaine | 2001 comments Thanks Brenda. Can we discuss things with spoilers assuming everyone who comments here has read it? Or do we need to hide spoilers?

message 3: by Brenda, Aussie Authors Queen (new)

You're welcome Elaine:) And yes, I think you definitely need to use the spoiler tags... Rita is right - it will go straight to our feeds...

Elaine | 2001 comments No that's fine Rita. I agree it would be awful if someone who wanted to follow the conversation but hasn't read the book accidentally comes across a spoiler. I know it happened to a friend who was reading a comment without a spoiler alert and it ruined the book for her. I've never used the spoiler tag. Not sure I know how. But I will learn if I need to put in spoiler.

Elaine | 2001 comments So Rita does this mean that you will try to read it again? I have to return my copy to the library....it is 3 days overdue and has 53 reserves on it!!! I feel guilty but I just had to finish it. I knew I would never get it back if I returned it. I do think that it may be about where you stopped reading that it does start to get better. I'm not pushing you to read it but am just wondering if maybe like me if you'd continued maybe it would have got better for you too.

message 6: by Elaine (last edited Dec 06, 2015 01:33AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Elaine | 2001 comments RitaSkeeter wrote: "It's super simple. To start the spoiler and to end the spoiler
(without the spaces)."

Thanks I will try....if it doesn't work I will have to be super quick in deleting!! Lol. :)
I don't really have anything to say about it at the moment that involves spoilers. I'll just wait and see who else comments.

Elaine | 2001 comments RitaSkeeter wrote: "It's on my list for when I finish my current couple of books; so later this week sometime :)
I have a bit of respite between finishing this batch of library books and when I predict the next batch ..."

I will be interested to see what you end up thinking about it, Rita. I wonder if your first impression will hold up? Sometimes a book just isn't right for us. It would be a boring world if we all felt the same.

message 8: by Ace (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ace (aceonroam) Read your review Elaine .. it is difficult to read anything after this. Fortunately for me the new Jack Reacher had just come out. I did wait a day or so for my thoughts to clear.

For me this book is a little unreal, I did have a few roll your eyes moments but I was already drawn in and wanted to know more (about Jude). I had to keep remembering towards the end that it's only a book!

Lesley | 323 comments I'm almost at p.200 and hooked. I bumped it up my reading list after the reviews on ABC's December bookclub discussion.

I have no idea where it is all leading to at this stage.

Elaine | 2001 comments ❄❄ Ace ❄❄ wrote: "Read your review Elaine .. it is difficult to read anything after this. Fortunately for me the new Jack Reacher had just come out. I did wait a day or so for my thoughts to clear.

For me this book..."

I know what you mean Ace about the eye rolling. But those moments quickly evaporate as you are drawn into the story.

Elaine | 2001 comments Lesley wrote: "I'm almost at p.200 and hooked. I bumped it up my reading list after the reviews on ABC's December bookclub discussion.

I have no idea where it is all leading to at this stage."

I'm envious of you Lesley....to have only just begun. Enjoy the journey. It really is an amazing book that takes you to places you don't even know existed.

Tamara (chronicbookaholic) I've just started it :)

message 13: by Brenda, Aussie Authors Queen (new)

Hope you enjoy it as much as some here who've read it Tamara!

message 14: by marlin1 (new)

marlin1 | 401 comments Well I've just had to stop this at 22% read. I thought I would really like it, especially as many people I know have.
Enjoyed the writing, just couldn't connect with the characters and found myself skimming too many times.
It's a Netgalley book so at least it stays on Kindle, may try again later in the year when it's coming up as a book club read.

Andrea | 1680 comments For anyone who is interested, here is a link to the Dymocks podcast interview of Hanya Yanagihara when she was here recently for the Sydney Writers' Festival. A 9-min discussion on A Little Life. Among other things, the interviewer asked Yanagihara about which character she identified with the most - I was a little surprised at her response.

https://soundcloud.com/dymocks-booklo...

message 16: by Brenda, Aussie Authors Queen (new)

Thanks Andrea :)

Jülie ☼♄  | 6327 comments Jen wrote: "I just bought this book... yet to read it"

Great book, get the tissues ready Jen!