Writers 750 discussion

Writing Critique > Writing Critique

Comments Showing 1-18 of 18 (18 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Glenda (new)

Glenda Reynolds (glendareynolds) | 934 comments Mod
If anyone wants to participate in critiques, post your thread in this section. This would also be a good place for the ongoing grammar, punctuation, and sentence structure talks.

message 2: by David (new)

David (drussell52) | 0 comments Glenda wrote: "If anyone wants to participate in critiques, post your thread in this section. This would also be a good place for the ongoing grammar, punctuation, and sentence structure talks."

Glenda and others,
I wish to suggest a topic starter, open-ended.
In story dialogue, how does one keep conversation between characters sounding natural? Does your sequence look like this:
Story idea, perhaps title, place and time, number of characters, general outline of events from A to Z, write story within the set outline.
Thanks.
David Russell

message 3: by Glenda (new)

On the subject of characters and dialogue, I found a couple of web sites that may help in exploring character types.
I found "The Characters Most Writers Get Wrong" blog.
http://mandywallace.com/the-character...

This lead me to look up the meaning of "INTJs". I found a detailed explanation of the Cognitive Functions at Wikipedia with a diagram https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/INTJ

photo CognitiveFunctions_zps8xahc02m.jpg

This seems like a study in psychology but is necessary (maybe) to determine the character(s) you are creating dialog for, what their beliefs are, if they are introverted or extroverted, if they are anti-authority or arrogant.

message 4: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca (rlacy) | 152 comments I do personality style training. Having an understanding of some basic communication preferences and responses can make character creation more fun and realistic. If anyone is interested, I can share a tool I use in training. I would also offer to do a short training (at no cost) to our members if anyone is interested. It will be great for writing and your personal and professional life as well.

message 5: by David (new)

David (drussell52) | 0 comments Glenda wrote: "If anyone wants to participate in critiques, post your thread in this section. This would also be a good place for the ongoing grammar, punctuation, and sentence structure talks."

Hello Glenda and others,
I just re-saw this and started a new discussion on dialogue just minutes ago. I like Rebecca's idea for a training and am interested! I mentioned a Reader's Digest article found online that was of big help. Title, "Rules for Writing: How to Write Simple Dialogue."
I found it by doing a Google search "articles writers digest dialogue" and it came up as one of the results. Big key, move away from complete sentences... Other helpful tips in the body of the article!

I would like to visit the issue of monthly story critique, perhaps here, if people want that, or to do that. Top rule, stick to the story and avoid using the pronoun, "you." FFT, food for thought.
I think we can still retain the encourage aspect of this group, or maybe critiques can be offered one to one, privately.
David

message 6: by Glenda (new)

That's a good idea, David. I would like to see an area in hear where our writers can get a critique on their stories. And I'm sure that we all want to brush up on our writing skills and learn new things. Feel free to take it by the reigns and go with it. I really enjoyed what we talked about at Linkedin for a while there.

message 7: by David (new)

David (drussell52) | 0 comments Hi Glenda and others,
Perhaps we can start with the dialogue discussion where you and Mirta both commented, and go from there for the remainder of this month and foreseeable future, for those that want to talk dialogue or give pointers on what works for you!

As to the story theme next month, I will start a new discussion here on or around June 1 titled Story Comments. People can direct their comment, no more than one paragraph please, to the specific story and author. Yes, we can all read one another's critiques.
Example:
I Burned The Steaks
David Russell
I liked the way you .....

Your sentence, ... "I girled the steaks last night" has some spelling issues. If others want to comment on the same story, they can, but don't gang up on someone with a previously made comment.
Just be brief, to the point, and specific and respectful.

If you like this idea then let's give it a try in June. Look for the topic
Story Comments - here on wonderful GoodReads!

David Russell

message 8: by Mirta (new)

Mirta Oliva (mirtaoliva) | 170 comments David,
I barely have the time to complete the monthly cycle of the 750 short stories - write my own; read/answer some comments; read all stories at the end and vote. This is one of the reasons I will not participate in the open critique/comments and would prefer that my stories be excluded from them. To avoid interpretation conflicts, the private message would be a quick way to call attention to a writer about a possible error in his/her story. Since no corrections should be made after publishing - if the critique was valid - the writer may elect to post a comment quoting what was written and the way it should have read.

message 9: by David (new)

David (drussell52) | 0 comments Hi Mirta,
I understand your reasons for not wanting to be involved in a critique forum.
If others would prefer not to have a critique list, please say no thanks as Mirta has. Perhaps private message to an author offering a critique is a better option here.
If someone wants a critique - then maybe they can make that known in their June story submission. Just looking for response to the idea of writer critiques.
Cheers,
David

message 10: by Mirta (new)

Mirta Oliva (mirtaoliva) | 170 comments Thanks David for understanding. I am editing one of my books and feeling the pressure as I proceed.

message 11: by David (new)

David (drussell52) | 0 comments Hi Mirta,
I wish you well and God-given strength as you render the editorial process on your book. Try not to get discouraged, as you have wonderful talent for expressing yourself through the writing I and others have seen here.
David

message 12: by Mirta (new)

Mirta Oliva (mirtaoliva) | 170 comments From one author to another, "Thank you, David, you too." Yes, Someone has what it takes, and He helps me every step of the way. In everything I do. Could it be God? Of course!

message 13: by Janet (new)

Janet Bond (janetbondk) | 18 comments Amen

message 14: by David (new)

David (drussell52) | 0 comments Hello Glenda, Janet, Mirta, Lynette and others,
After a few days and some thought, I have decided not to proceed with creating a critique thread here. The reactions are noted and by collective behavior, the subject is now closed on my end.

If you have writing groups local to you, then cultivate your involvement with them as there is mutual need amongst you and its members.

If you have online forums that grow you as a writer, amen, thank God and stay involved. I too, intend to follow this thinking!
Regards,
David

message 15: by Mirta (new)

Mirta Oliva (mirtaoliva) | 170 comments You are a busy man, David, and that is good! On the professional side, we have a job to do in 750, anthologies, forums, our own book publications, etc. I acknowledge your post above, and share your comments in the last line.
My best to you and all.
Mirta

message 16: by Shelly (new)

Shelly Harris | 6 comments I would like to have my May story read and critiqued. After 35 years in small daily and weekly newspaper I have a tough skin

I have not figured how to get my story out of "print" and on to a page.

message 17: by David (new)

David (drussell52) | 0 comments Hello Writers, This is the final word on critique for the June story. If you want a critique, please let that be known in your submission. For those who may offer critique, I am pasting a critique etiquette article that is mostly observed on another forum where I participate. Also, www.crayne.com/howcrit.html offers a similar more detailed resource as well as other writing guides.
I thank 2 members who critiqued my sub to the June contest. Finally, wanting and giving critiques should always remain optional!
Critiquing Etiquette: 
• Critique the written work, not the author.
• Say what you like about the work as well as what you didn't like.
• In Texas, road signs say, Drive Friendly. In the ... it's, Critique Friendly

Q: What if someone's critique trashes my submission?
A: It may not always seem like it, but a critique is a gift. Take what is valuable, disregard the useless parts, and make note of questionable parts for possible future use. You don't have to tell anyone. 
Maxims in the face of critiques:
• The most important virtue in a writer is the will to write. If someone saps it, put their words aside.
• Critics want you to write like them. You don't have to.
• If a critique angers you, save it. You may see it differently later.
• It doesn't make any difference whether a critique is harsh, diplomatic, or complimentary. Use only what makes sense.
• Change slowly.
• You'll probably get better advice from successful writers.
• Protect your will to write.

Q: How dare you say that about my work? This critique missed the point. What I meant was...
A: Receiving critiques is hard. It's not fun to have people point out the problems in our carefully crafted work. And sometimes people do miss the point, and not everyone likes everything. The first thing to remember is that a critique is an opinion to be evaluated in light of your own writing goals and preferences.
How you deal with critiques is your business--you can ignore them or not as seems right to you. No one has to know what you accept and what you don't. If you were to publish your work to the world, and some reader missed the point, well, you'd want to know that in advance, wouldn't you?
In private communications with your critic, you can ask for clarifications, but never, ever, critique a critique (that is, don't challenge it), either publicly or privately.
In consideration of others on the list, if you wish to discuss a critic's comments, take the discussion to private e-mail, or to the Writing list if you feel the subject matter is broadly relevant.

Sent by David Russell

message 18: by Glenda (new)

These are some very good points. And I want to add DON'T CRITIQUE THE CRITIQUE POST. If you want feedback on your writing say so. You don't have to participate.