What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

UNSOLVED: One specific book > Short story or poem: A man murdering a woman and rolling her in a rug

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Cassie (new)

Cassie | 1 comments Okay so I read a poem or short story a while back for my freshman English class in college and I cannot remember the name of the piece of literature or the writer. I do remember this, however: the story is about a man who sleeps with a woman and after they sleep together, he murders her. I believe he murders her by hitting her with a shovel. Anyway, after the murder, the man's dog enters the scene and a specific line in the work says something about the dog stepping in the woman's blood. The man does not want to look at the body anymore, so he rolls her up in a rug. He then throws something in the fireplace, but I don't remember what that is that he throws. He then somehow gets caught for the murder (I think someone saw him through the window?) and he is chased through town. The man and his dog somehow end up on a rooftop and people are surrounding the building which they are on top of. The man attempts to jump off of the building, but he accidentally gets caught on something and hangs himself. The dog also somehow falls to his death, and there is a specifically graphic line about the dog's head hitting a rock. This is all I remember of the story, and I'm pretty sure that is the end of it. Thank you for all your help with this!!

message 2: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 37809 comments Mod
What year did you read this? Was it in an anthology along with other works? Was the story/poem set in a particular era?

message 3: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 37809 comments Mod
Cassie, are you still looking for this or did you find it?