What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

SOLVED: Adult Fiction > SOLVED. General fiction 17th century New England girl ends up in India [s]

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Pamela (new)

Pamela Davies | 7 comments Read in the mid-nineties, female author, well written. Young Puritan (?) girl in 17th century New England is captured by Indians, spends some time with them but is rescued by a sea captain who takes her to India. She becomes the concubine of a prince of sorts in a coastal trading center. She is trying to convince him to let her go as I recall. I don't recall how it ended. I've been trying to remember this book for years and have done many searches on Google and Amazon. Thanks for any help you can give me.

message 2: by ``Laurie (new)

``Laurie (laurielynette) | 1039 comments Sounds like a great book Pamela but I'm not able to think of anything at the moment. Hang in there and someone more knowledgeable than me can probably help you soon.

While waiting you might want to check out the book:

Sofia which has a similar premise.

Good luck finding your book.

message 3: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 38171 comments Mod
YA or adult? Remember the cover?

message 4: by Pamela (new)

Pamela Davies | 7 comments Definitely general adult fiction. I don't really remember the cover except that I think it may be of a young Puritan girl looking out to sea from a hill or promontory. Yellowish color seems to come to mind. What struck me most about the book was the contrast in cultures. It may have even begun in England and included the voyage to the colony. The brutal life on the North American coast contrasted with vivid images of this busting coastal trading center in India, and the freedom that the sea captain had to move between cultures and around the world while this young woman was a virtual prisoner everywhere she found herself.

message 6: by Kris (new)

Kris | 34380 comments Mod
Good find, Kaion!

message 7: by Pamela (new)

Pamela Davies | 7 comments This really sounds like it though the title does not seem familiar at all. I have read a few things by Bharati Mukherjee but was pretty sure she hadn't written the book but boy this does sound like it. I will get a copy and confirm. Thanks so much. Now, do I put this in solved (however that is done) or wait until I confirm?

message 8: by Kris (new)

Kris | 34380 comments Mod
Since this sounds like a really close match, we can move to Solved - and move to back to Unsolved later if you like.

message 9: by Pamela (new)

Pamela Davies | 7 comments Thanks, I see it is in solved now. Thanks.