Brantford Public Library's Online Book Club discussion

Circling the Sun > People's Lives in FICTION

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Brantford (new)

Brantford Public Library | 453 comments Mod
Fictional biographies have been quite popular in the last few years. Taking the basic known facts and episodes in a person's life and embellishing it with fictional dialogue is a good way to create an interesting readable story.

Not everyone is a fan of this genre and many would prefer to read a non-fiction biography of the person instead to get a more authentic version of their lives.

Where do you stand on this issue? Do you like this type of story?

Have you read any other fictional biographies that you really enjoyed?

message 2: by Anna (last edited Dec 05, 2015 06:25PM) (new)

Anna (iudita) | 450 comments I have read a lot of this type of thing over the past few years and I really enjoy it. I also like to read the odd biography as well but I find the fictional biographies can still teach you a lot about a person's life and they are usually more easily readable. I am not a stickler for accurate historical detail. As long as I get the general idea of what happened to a person, I am okay with some fiction to round the story out.

Some really good titles that I can remember from the last few years are The Good Lord Bird which is a story built around the escapades of the legendary abolitionist in the American south called John Brown (who I had never heard of before this book). What a character that guy was. Another one I really enjoyed was called The Officer and the Spy which was about Alfred Dreyfus and his infamous trial in Paris. I also read a book called The Whip which was about a woman called Charlotte Parkhurst who lived her life as a man in the American Wild West. I loved that one. And I also really like Doc which was about Doc Holliday.

It is actually amazing how much you can learn about history by reading these novels, even if the details aren't completely accurate. Beryl Markham is not someone I would have necessarily been interested in but she really was a pretty remarkable woman and I am glad I got a chance to learn a bit about her.

message 3: by Karen (new)

Karen (karen1278) | 428 comments I too enjoy fictionalized biographies.

Some of my favourites

Paula McLains' The Paris Wife. The story of Hemingway and his wife Hadley and all the indiscretions he's famous for.
Monet being my favourite artist since childhood I would recommend Claude & Camille : a Novel of Monet.
And Remarkable Creatures, a novel about Mary Anning, a woman who discovered one of the most important fossils in England in 1810.
All great stories about incredible personalities.

message 4: by ❀ Susan (new)

❀ Susan G (susanayearofbooksblogcom) | 50 comments I was very lucky to get to meet Paula McLain and loved The Paris Wife and enjoyed Circling the Sun. She was very open and shared her writing experience with the audience: http://ayearofbooksblog.com/2015/09/1...