You'll love this one...!! A book club & more discussion

Closed Discussion Topic > December's Randomizer Toppler

Comments Showing 1-50 of 146 (146 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

message 1: by jaxnsmom (new)

jaxnsmom | 8271 comments For those of you have posted your books and random numbers, here are the tasks.

1. Do you feel rushed during the holidays? Read the shortest book.

2. Have you ever received the worst gift ever? Read the book with the lowest rating. How does your rating compare? What was the worst or most embarrassing gift you've received?

3. This season there are so many beautiful wrapping papers. Read the book with the most interesting cover. What makes it interesting to you?

4. There’s no way to represent each winter celebration, we each have our own beliefs. Read the book that someone else chooses for you. (I’ll choose the someone) What is one of your favorite holiday traditions?

5. Have you noticed that the Christmas decorations get put up earlier each year? (And isn’t it annoying?) Read the book that’s been on your tbr the longest. What took you so long to get to it?

A reminder of the rules:
1. Books must be started and finished in this time period to qualify.
2. You may read any format - paperback, hardcover, ebook, or audiobook. For the last two use the page numbers on the first edition that comes up on the GR page.
3. Each book must be at least 150 pages.
4. Toppler books can count toward the monthly challenge, the group theme read, and the yearly challenge if they qualify.

If you haven't posted yet, I'll have another list of tasks posted Wednesday evening.

message 2: by jaxnsmom (last edited Dec 06, 2015 03:18PM) (new)

jaxnsmom | 8271 comments IMPORTANT

If you are choosing the second book for someone, please wait and let the person fill their task first.

message 3: by Kristie, Moderator (new)

Kristie | 13609 comments Oh excellent! Got my new numbers picked just in time! Great tasks, Jmom. Thanks. :)

message 4: by Rusalka, Moderator (new)

Rusalka (rusalkii) | 17080 comments Well, looks like I need someone to choose for me!

message 5: by Sandra (new)

Sandra (sanlema) | 9425 comments Me too!

message 6: by CFDeeDee (new)

CFDeeDee Still didn't find 3 more books to add to my list :( gotta fix that soon

message 7: by jaxnsmom (new)

jaxnsmom | 8271 comments Did we all get number 4? I know we didn't, but that would have been too funny.

message 8: by jaxnsmom (new)

jaxnsmom | 8271 comments CFDeeDee wrote: "Still didn't find 3 more books to add to my list :( gotta fix that soon"

Oh CFDeeDee, haven't we provided enough recommendations for everyone? If not, we're doing something wrong. ☺ I hope you find more books!

message 9: by Rusalka, Moderator (new)

Rusalka (rusalkii) | 17080 comments I did indeed, Jmom.

message 10: by Sarah, Moderator (new)

Sarah | 18188 comments I get to choose the one with the most interesting cover. Sounds good to me.

message 11: by Sarah, Moderator (new)

Sarah | 18188 comments I'm also looking forward to reading people's comments on their chooses and the other questions youve posed for that task J'mom.

message 12: by Lisa (new)

Lisa (lisathebooklover) | 9244 comments My first (and probably, only) task is to choose the book with the most interesting cover. I think I already know what one I am going to pick.

message 13: by Sarah, Moderator (new)

Sarah | 18188 comments I've looked at my covers and I'm torn between InterWorld (InterWorld, #1) by Neil Gaiman which is colourful and artistic. I like the vertical divisions on the picture - grey scale then colour. Or I can be shallow and choose Sons of Anarchy Bratva by Christopher Golden because Jax Teller is a bit tasty. I'll think on it some more.

message 14: by Teanka (new)

Teanka I originally chose 6 books, and later removed one from the list as asked. But I forgot to change the randomizer numbers, and now my first number is 6.. could I, for instance, say that this 6 is a 5 (I don't have any 5).

message 15: by Rusalka, Moderator (new)

Rusalka (rusalkii) | 17080 comments I would follow the instructions Teanka, and roll between 1 and 5, then follow that.

message 16: by Colleen (new)

Colleen (colls) | 114 comments I'll need someone to choose for me. :)

message 17: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 48838 comments Lucky for me, I rolled a 1 which means the shortest book:

The Last Quarrel: Episode 1.

message 18: by Casceil (last edited Dec 06, 2015 08:59AM) (new)

Casceil | 2623 comments I rolled a five, which should be the book that has been on my TBR list the longest. My five books are almost all things I picked up cheap on Kindle daily deals or cyber Monday, and none of them are on my to-be-read list. One of the five books, however, is something I pre-ordered months ago, so I guess it is the one that has been on my mental TBR the longest, and I guess I will read it. Juliet Blackwell's Give Up the Ghost. Or,I could read the one of the five that has been on my Kindle the longest. That would be Slight Mourning by Catherine Aird. It is much shorter.

message 19: by Lara (new)

Lara | 1426 comments My first book will be a holiday romance: No Christmas Like the Present

I did roll a 4 for my second book, so need someone to choose for me from the other 4 books on my list:
https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...

message 20: by CFDeeDee (new)

CFDeeDee @J'smom ooh sure everyone did .. But I had to give up some of them for next year's challenge, I'll make sure I fix the list and get right on track before the toppler's day, there is a high chance of having more books on my shelf this week.

message 21: by jaxnsmom (new)

jaxnsmom | 8271 comments Sarah wrote: "I've looked at my covers and I'm torn between InterWorld (InterWorld, #1) by Neil Gaiman which is colourful and artistic. I like the vertical divisions on the picture - grey scale then colour. Or I can be shallo..."

It looks like you have to cheese between artistic and eye candy :) That could be a tough one.

message 22: by jaxnsmom (new)

jaxnsmom | 8271 comments Teanka wrote: "I originally chose 6 books, and later removed one from the list as asked. But I forgot to change the randomizer numbers, and now my first number is 6.. could I, for instance, say that this 6 is a 5..."

I suggest you ignore the 6 and go with 2,4, and 3. If you think you'll read more than 3 books you can generate a 4th number.

message 23: by jaxnsmom (new)

jaxnsmom | 8271 comments Casceil wrote: "I rolled a five, which should be the book that has been on my TBR list the longest. My five books are almost all things I picked up cheap on Kindle daily deals or cyber Monday, and none of them are..."

I'm in a good mood, so go with the one you've had the longest.

message 24: by Teanka (new)

Teanka jaxnsmom wrote: "Teanka wrote: "I originally chose 6 books, and later removed one from the list as asked. But I forgot to change the randomizer numbers, and now my first number is 6.. could I, for instance, say tha..."

OK. I've just changed my message though. Going back now :).

message 25: by Teanka (new)

Teanka I have a 4 for my second book, so I'll also need somebody to choose it (in case I make it). The first one will be Surfacing, as it has the lowest GR rating.

message 26: by jaxnsmom (last edited Dec 07, 2015 01:56PM) (new)

jaxnsmom | 8271 comments For those of us who generated a 4, I've listed the participant and the person who'll choose their book.

Generated a 4 as the first number:
Rusalka: Sarah
Sam F: KimeyDiann
Sandra: Anna M and jaxnsmom
KimeyDiann: Tejas Janet
Ariane: Lisa
Colleen: Sam F
jaxnsmom: Debra
Sam: Theresa

Generated a 4 as the second number:
Sarah: Anne (Booklady)
Teanka: Lara
Lori Z: Lisa
Lara: Rusalka

Pickers - please let your person know what book you choose for them.

message 27: by Sarah, Moderator (new)

Sarah | 18188 comments Rusalka - I choose Guilty Pleasures for you to read. I don't have it on my wishlist (yet) but it certainly sounds interesting. You can be my guinea pig and read it first and let me know how much romance is in in before I add it to my list:-)

message 28: by Lisa (new)

Lisa (lisathebooklover) | 9244 comments Ariane - I have chosen Le Mouron Rouge for you to read. It's a book I have always wanted to read and it has a pretty high rating here on Goodreads. I hope you enjoy it :)

Lori Z - I have chosen Deadly Donuts for you as your second book. I just love that title! I hope you enjoy it :)

message 29: by Lori Z (new)

Lori Z | 1828 comments Thanks, Lisa! I just picked it up today at the library. I'm sure I'll enjoy it, I've liked the series so far. My first book is a short one so I'm hoping I'll get this one done.

message 30: by jaxnsmom (last edited Dec 06, 2015 03:17PM) (new)

jaxnsmom | 8271 comments IMPORTANT

If you are choosing the second book for someone, please wait and let the person fill their task first.

message 31: by jaxnsmom (new)

jaxnsmom | 8271 comments Lisa, you're ok since Donuts isn't Lori's shortest book.

message 32: by Debra (last edited Dec 06, 2015 04:04PM) (new)

Debra (debra_t) | 6542 comments Jaxnsmom, I picked The Slow Regard of Silent Things for you. I love this series and am anxiously awaiting book 3. Enjoy!

message 33: by Sam F (new)

Sam F | 246 comments Colleen, I picked The Sound and the Furry - hoping that will help you finish a series! Enjoy

message 34: by Lara (new)

Lara | 1426 comments Teanka, I chose The Sorcerer of the Wildeeps for your second book. I've been hearing good things about it and look forward to hearing how you like it.

message 35: by Theresa~OctoberLace (last edited Dec 12, 2015 05:06PM) (new)

Theresa~OctoberLace (octoberlace) | 1090 comments My numbers are 1, 5, 1, 1, and 4. I assume this will be my reading order:

1. Task 1 - Shortest book - The Notebook 214 pages, 6hr 3m audio

2. Task 5 - Longest on TBR list - Christ the Lord: The Road to Cana 257 pages 6hr 47m audio

3. Task 1 - Shortest book - Under the Greenwood Tree 218 pages 6hr 16m audio

4. Task 1 - Shortest book - Suspended Sentences: Three Novellas 232 pages 6h 37m audio

5. Task 4 - Someone else chooses- March 280 pages 10h 22m audio (That's the only one left!)

Realistically, I'll get the first two read for the Toppler, since those total 15hr 16m.

message 36: by Kristie, Moderator (last edited Dec 06, 2015 05:07PM) (new)

Kristie | 13609 comments My re-picked order is 3, 1, 4, 1

I don't find any of my covers to be incredibly interesting, but I like the skipping Christmas one the best. I think it was such a creative idea to have Santa snoozing in a hammock with palm trees, just taking a little vaca. I like that they put snowflakes around it too, indicating winter.

Skipping Christmas by John Grisham

My order will be:
3 - most interesting cover: Skipping Christmas
1 - shortest: The Christmas Train
4 - someone else's pick: ??
1 - shortest:

I will probably only get to the the first one or two, but if someone wants to pick my book #3 just in case, that would be great.

My three remaining books will be:
The Neon Lawyer
A Study in Scarlet
I Am Legend

message 37: by Rusalka, Moderator (new)

Rusalka (rusalkii) | 17080 comments Lara - second book for you will be Silver on the Road

message 38: by Rusalka, Moderator (new)

Rusalka (rusalkii) | 17080 comments Sarah wrote: "Rusalka - I choose Guilty Pleasures for you to read. I don't have it on my wishlist (yet) but it certainly sounds interesting. You can be my guinea pig and read it first and let me kno..."

Hah nice. I appreciate the honesty!

message 39: by jaxnsmom (new)

jaxnsmom | 8271 comments Debra wrote: "Jaxnsmom, I picked The Slow Regard of Silent Things for you. I love this series and am anxiously awaiting book 3. Enjoy!"

Yay, I'm looking forward to reading it! It's going to be forever and a day before that 3rd book gets published. :(

message 40: by Teanka (new)

Teanka Lara wrote: "Teanka, I chose The Sorcerer of the Wildeeps for your second book. I've been hearing good things about it and look forward to hearing how you like it."
Thank you, Lara! That is exactly what I wanted to read ASAP:).

message 41: by Tejas Janet (last edited Dec 06, 2015 11:56PM) (new)

Tejas Janet (tejasjanet) | 3513 comments KimeyDiann :) loved your selections and added three of your five to my tbr list.

So I'm going with Streetlights Like Fireworks by David Pandolfe Streetlights Like Fireworks for you. It looks fun AND feasible to read for a short, one day toppler like this.

message 42: by Sarah, Moderator (new)

Sarah | 18188 comments Rusalka wrote: "Hah nice. I appreciate the honesty! "

I do hope you enjoy it though :-)

message 43: by Sharon (new)

Sharon (missvirginia) | 96 comments My random numbers are: 3, 1, 5, 3, 5

So for the first read I'm going to pick The Hound of the Baskervilles (Sherlock Holmes, #5) by Arthur Conan Doyle because it just looks so omnious. Makes me wonder what's going to happen there.

And if I even make it to the second task, the shortest one on my list is The Awakening by Kate Chopin

message 44: by Sam (new)

Sam (ecowitch) | 2116 comments Ooo based on this and my random numbers (4,1,3,1,2) I'm going to need one of you lovely people to pick my first book...

My list is:

A Disgraceful Affair: Stories
A Merry Christmas: And Other Christmas Stories
The Rats
The Bell Jar
Friday Night In Beast House

message 45: by Debra (new)

Debra (debra_t) | 6542 comments jaxnsmom wrote: "Debra wrote: "Jaxnsmom, I picked The Slow Regard of Silent Things for you. I love this series and am anxiously awaiting book 3. Enjoy!"

Yay, I'm looking forward to reading it! It's going to be forever and a day before that 3rd book gets published. :( "

I know! Bummer!

message 46: by KimeyDiann (new)

KimeyDiann | 2174 comments Tejas Janet wrote: "KimeyDiann :) loved your selections and added three of your five to my tbr list.

So I'm going with Streetlights Like Fireworks by David Pandolfe Streetlights Like Fireworks for ..."

I'm excited to start this book, thanks for choosing it!

Which three did you add to your TBR list?

message 47: by KimeyDiann (new)

KimeyDiann | 2174 comments Sam F., my first choice for you was Life As We Knew It simply because this book has been on my radar for quite some time. But after scanning your book ratings, it doesn't look like you enjoy YA books all that much. Instead I'll pick Fifth Business for you because it is the shortest and hopefully is one you will really enjoy! :)

message 48: by Tejas Janet (new)

Tejas Janet (tejasjanet) | 3513 comments KimeyDiann wrote: "Tejas Janet wrote: "KimeyDiann :) loved your selections and added three of your five to my tbr list.

Which three did..."

Three Men in a Boat - which I notice is also a Penguin Classic (could come in handy during 2016 world travels)
Rumpelstiltskin's Daughter
and the one I picked for you to read this toppler Streetlights Like Fireworks

message 49: by jaxnsmom (new)

jaxnsmom | 8271 comments Sam wrote: "Ooo based on this and my random numbers (4,1,3,1,2) I'm going to need one of you lovely people to pick my first book...

My list is:

A Disgraceful Affair: Stories
[book:A Merry Chri..."

Theresa will be picking your first book.

message 50: by Tejas Janet (last edited Dec 07, 2015 02:12PM) (new)

Tejas Janet (tejasjanet) | 3513 comments My numbers were 5 and 2 so i'll be starting with The Egg and I, which has been on my to read list longer than the others in my list. I added it back in March of this year when gophering for more series to potentially read for the year-long challenge. It's the first in Betty MacDonald's memoir series: https://www.goodreads.com/series/8084....

I doubt i'll get to a second book, but in case I do, I'll be reading Spiced: A Pastry Chef's True Stories of Trials by Fire, After-Hours Exploits, and What Really Goes on in the Kitchen. With a rating of 3.29 stars, it has the lowest rating of my five selections.

« previous 1 3