Cruisin' thru the Cozies Reading Challenge discussion

2016 - Level 4 (Sleuth Extra) > Arow 2016 Cozie Challenge

Comments Showing 1-43 of 43 (43 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Arow (last edited Dec 31, 2016 11:14AM) (new)

Arow | 348 comments Really looking forward to 2016 and discovering some new authors. last year was my first in this group and I think I am going to end 2015 with 26 cozies...lets see if I can do more than that in 2016.

Okay I am a little late to the party but I have been reading...here is the start to the thread of which books I have read in 2016:

Early Bird Cafe Cozy Mystery Series by Ginny Gold
Book 1: Rise and Die - finished 01/02/2016
Book 2: Deadly Surprise - finished 01/04/2016
Book 3: Dead and Berried - finished 01/06/2016
Book 5: Croaked Wheat - finished 01/15/2016
Book 8: Smashed Potatoes and Gravy - finished 02/04/2016
Book 9: Gingerdead Man - finished 02/09/2016
Book 10: Dead Velvet Wedding Cake - finished 02/13/2016

Christmas River Cozy Book by Meg Muldoon
Book 4: Madness in Christmas River - finished 01/13/2016
Book 6: Malice in Christmas River - finished 01/22/2016
Book 7: Mischief in Christmas River - finished 01/28/2016
Book 10.5: Roasted in Christmas River - finished 02/15/2016
Book 11: Manic in Christmas River: A Christmas Cozy Mystery - finished 02/22/2016
Book 12: Magic in Christmas River: A Christmas Cozy Mystery - finished 02/25/2016
Book 13: Menace in Christmas River: A Christmas Cozy Mystery - finished 03/03/2016

Hannah Swensen Series by Joanne Fluke
Book 14: Double Fudge Brownie Murder - finished 03/10/2016
Book 15: Wedding Cake Murder - finished 03/17/2016
Book 23: Christmas Caramel Murder - finished December 28, 2016

Been a few months but decided to read some more cozy's so here we go....

Matchmaker Mystery Series by Meg Muldoon
Book 16: Burned in Broken Hearts Junction - finished 06/25/2016
Book 17: Busted in Broken Hearts Junction - finished 07/018/2016

A few more months have passed....
Black Cat Cafe Cozy Mystery Series by Lyndsey Cole
Book 18: Blueburied Muffins - finished 11/23/2016

The Chocolate Cafe Series by Valley Sams
Book 19: Truffles and Troubles: Book 1 in The Chocolate Cafe Series - finished 11/24/2016

Bakery Detectives Cozy Mystery Series by Stacey Alabaster
Book 20: A Pie to Die For - finished 12/16/2016

Sweet Cove Mystery Series by J.A Whiting
Book 21: The Sweet Dreams Bake Shop - finished 12/21/2016

Food Truck Cozy Mystery Series by Ginny Gold
Book 22: Naan Stop Murder - finished 12/26/2016

message 2: by Dagny (new)

Dagny (madamevauquer) Good for you! 2015 was my first year also and it looks like I'll finish with 21 or 22 cozies. I'll have just over 40 total mysteries, so it looks like I read about half and half.

message 3: by Arow (new)

Arow | 348 comments Dagny wrote: "Good for you! 2015 was my first year also and it looks like I'll finish with 21 or 22 cozies. I'll have just over 40 total mysteries, so it looks like I read about half and half."

Thanks Dagny! I tend to stick with the cozies with a few more realistic thrown in through out the year. I am looking forward to discovering some new authors in 2016. Good luck to you on your challenge!

message 4: by Dagny (new)

Dagny (madamevauquer) Arow wrote: "I tend to stick with the cozies with a few more realistic thrown in through out the year. I am looking forward to discovering some new authors in 2016. Good luck to you on your challenge! "

Thanks, Arow. I have several non-cozy series which I follow, the main one of which is Michael Connelly's Harry Bosch.

message 5: by Arow (new)

Arow | 348 comments Dagny wrote: "Arow wrote: "I tend to stick with the cozies with a few more realistic thrown in through out the year. I am looking forward to discovering some new authors in 2016. Good luck to you on your challen..."

I have heard of that series, have never read Connelly before but i know many people who love his books, i will have to try one.

message 6: by Dagny (new)

Dagny (madamevauquer) Arow wrote: "I have heard of that series, have never read Connelly before but i know many people who love his books, i will have to try one."

While they're not Cozies, they're not excessively violent either. There are a few series I tried, but didn't stick with because they were too violent - especially when it goes on relentlessly for pages.

Connelly's books have a nice focus on the characters.

message 7: by Britney (new)

Britney (tarheels) | 650 comments Mod
I like the Myron Bolitar series by Harlan Coben. To me they arent violent they stick more to the story.

message 8: by Yvonne (new)

Yvonne (yvonne473) | 853 comments Mod
I'm so glad you you are joining us again, Arow. Have fun.

I've wanted to read the Myron Bolitar series. It looks good.

message 9: by Susie (new)

Susie | 239 comments The older I get, the less violence I can take, so very happy I discovered cozies several years ago!

message 10: by Arow (new)

Arow | 348 comments Book 1: Rise and Die by Ginny Gold

3 Stars

This was an interesting read, felt that like I was reading a first novel. I enjoyed the characters that were introduced but felt that there was a lot left unsaid. I am curious to see what ideas the author expands on in book two.

It is closer to a novella than a novel; coming in at 100 pages.

message 11: by Arow (new)

Arow | 348 comments Book 2: Deadly Surprise by Ginny Gold

3 Stars

Not sure how I feel about the novel, I love the characters and really wish I learned more about them. I feel there is so much potential in the stories that could be explored.

I think the storyline has the potential to be 5 stars but the depth is missing for readers to completely get lost in the novel.

It's almost like reading cliffnotes or chapter drafts.

Still going to read the rest of the series.

message 12: by Arow (new)

Arow | 348 comments Book 3: Dead and Berried by Ginny Gold

3 Stars

I did not write a review when I finished this installment of the Early Bird Cafe Series; based on how I felt after reading most of the others I would say my review would have been similar.

message 13: by Arow (new)

Arow | 348 comments Book 4: Madness in Christmas River by Meg Muldoon

4 Stars

Sorry, again I did not write a review when I was finished reading it. I remember being drawn back into the series though.

message 14: by Arow (new)

Arow | 348 comments Book 5: Croaked Wheat by Ginny Gold

3 Stars

Definitely the best book so far. I really felt v that Ginny Gold was sharing more of the story and the characters with us. However, the solving of the murder and the aftermath was just too quick.

I will keep reading the series, I feel each book gets better and I have high hopes still.

message 15: by Arow (new)

Arow | 348 comments Book 6: Malice in Christmas River by Meg Muldoon

4 Stars

Enjoyed this installment of the series. This novel did not actually contain a murder but rather an accident to someone very close to Cinnamon's heart. Would recommend it to anyone who has enjoyed the series thus far.

message 16: by Arow (new)

Arow | 348 comments Book 7: Mischief in Christmas River by Meg Muldoon

4 Stars

Again no review was written after I read it; really enjoy this series though. Just makes me happy when I read it.

message 17: by Arow (new)

Arow | 348 comments Book 8: Smashed Potatoes and Gravy by Ginny Gold

3 Stars

I think I am getting use to Ginny Gold's writing style as I thought this was a pretty good installment in the series. Although the actual mystery solving was light, I still enjoyed reading more about Hermit Cove.

message 18: by Arow (new)

Arow | 348 comments Book 9: Gingerdead Man by Ginny Gold

3 Stars

Not the best in the series but still enjoyable. Curious to see where book 7 will take us other than the obvious.

message 19: by Arow (new)

Arow | 348 comments Book 10: Dead Velvet Wedding Cake by Ginny Gold

3 Stars

I enjoyed this installment of The Early Bird Cafe series but it was not my favourite by a long shot. I think I have reached my end of this series; not sure what else to say other than I have read my self out of the characters.

message 20: by Arow (new)

Arow | 348 comments Book 10.5: Roasted in Christmas River by Meg Muldoon

4 Stars

I really enjoyed this light hearted installment of the Christmas River series. I read it out of order so I highly recommend reading it where it should fall. It follows Cinnamon and crew as they prep for Thanksgiving. It really just made me smile and feel that there is some good left in the world.

message 21: by Arow (new)

Arow | 348 comments Book 11: Manic in Christmas River: A Christmas Cozy Mystery by Meg Muldoon

4 Stars

I think this may have been one of my favourites so far from Meg Muldoon. Cinnamon's grandfather has moved back to Christmas River with the new love of his life and they are opening a brewery when murder occurs on their opening night. I actually had a harder time figuring this one out and I enjoyed that there were a few more twists and turns through out.

I also liked that we were introduced to a few more characters and that those we have grown to love had a large focus.

Can't wait for book 7!

message 22: by Britney (new)

I have not read either Ginny Gold or Meg Muldoon. After your reviews I am going to check them both out.

message 23: by Arow (new)

Arow | 348 comments Amazing to hear...let me know what you think.

message 24: by Arow (new)

Arow | 348 comments Book 12: Magic in Christmas River: A Christmas Cozy Mystery by Meg Muldoon

4 stars

Another great installment in the Christmas River Cozy Series. We catch up with Cinnamon and hang in October getting everything ready for Halloween and we b renovations in the shop.

This story follows Cinnamon as she comes across a cold case from the '50's. We learn more about the town and people within. I really feel Meg Muldoon has come into her own as a story teller. I love entering the world of Christmas River and losing myself for a bit.

So excited that there is another book in the series.

message 25: by Arow (new)

Arow | 348 comments Book 13: Menace in Christmas River: A Christmas Cozy Mystery by Meg Muldoon

4 stars

Enjoyed this installment of the Christmas River cozy series. It's Valentines day and Cinnamon gets caught up in another murder. I loved that the novel took place on Valentines day and wasn't too fluffy.

The relationship and partnership that Cinnamon and Daniel share is really sweet and beautiful. Meg has done a great job of building the characters and making me fall in them with love.

I also think Meg has improved immensely in her writing style over this series. I am really enjoying the flow and her style.

Can't wait for the next one!

message 26: by Dagny (new)

Dagny (madamevauquer) Arow wrote: "Book 13: Menace in Christmas River: A Christmas Cozy Mystery by Meg Muldoon
4 stars"

Glad you're enjoying the series, Arow. I like the character name of Cinnamon.

message 27: by Arow (new)

Arow | 348 comments Book 14 - Double Fudge Brownie Murder by Joanne Fluke

4 Stars

Decided to re read the novel for a second time before I jumped into the newest addition to the series. Curious to see how I feel this time around.

Felt the same way, really enjoyed it and was a great to re- read before the new book in the series which I am starting right away.

Here is the review from my first read:
Okay, I have been waiting for this novel for a year and I can honestly say that I was not disappointed. I really enjoyed reading it and I felt that Joanne Fluke tied up a few loose ends nicely as well as provided some hope and joy for all the Hannah Swensen fans.

I will say that I do not recommend this novel for individuals who have grown tired with the storyline and feel that past books have included too many recipes. This novel follows the storyline and includes just as many recipes as before. I love it for that reason. I read this series almost like I would watch a TV show over and over again. I like the characters, I like the way I feel when I read it and it makes me smile.

message 28: by Arow (new)

Arow | 348 comments Book 15: Wedding Cake Murder by Joanne Fluke

4 Stars

I enjoyed the 19th installment of this series. I don't think I would recommend this book to anyone who is tired of the series. This book feels like it was written for the truly die hard fans who want to see Hannah married and happy.

I liked the Food Network competition angle and I enjoyed the recipes that Hannah and Michele made. I will agree that the cozy mystery played second to the competition and the wedding but I was okay with that.

I see that another book is due out in the fall and I am looking forward to it.

message 29: by Dagny (new)

Dagny (madamevauquer) Arow wrote: "Book 15: Wedding Cake Murder by Joanne Fluke"

I'm just getting started with this series. Have only read the first three.

message 30: by Arow (last edited Mar 19, 2016 10:44AM) (new)

Arow | 348 comments Dagny wrote: "Arow wrote: "Book 15: Wedding Cake Murder by Joanne Fluke"

I'm just getting started with this series. Have only read the first three."

I love the early books in this series. I have read them multiple times and never seem to tire of them. I really think you need to love Hannah to get through to book 19; it is not for everyone that is for sure. I have made at least 10 recipes from the books and they have always turned out well. I think that plays into my love of the books.

I have also watched the tv-movies, Murder She Baked' which are based upon the series. Very different from the books in some aspects but enjoyable still. At least they are fun to watch while I knit or cross-stitch.

message 31: by Betty (new)

Betty (bettylouise54) | 41 comments Congratulations on your reading. you had to my TBR pile. Thanks

message 32: by Arow (new)

Arow | 348 comments Betty wrote: "Congratulations on your reading. you had to my TBR pile. Thanks"

Thanks! I will take a look at your TBR to see if I can find some new authors as well.

message 33: by Arow (new)

Arow | 348 comments Book 16: Burned in Broken Hearts Junction by Meg Muldoon

4 Stars

The Broken Hearts Junction series follows Loretta “Bitters” Loveless through her everyday life as a bartender in a small town, country bar. She has always had a 'gift' at being a matchmaker and when a murder occurs close to her she is able to put that 'gift' to use in helping to solve the crime.

This is the second series I am reading from Meg Muldoon and I enjoyed it as much as the first. For me it was nice that the lead role was a women working in a bar instead of a bakery...I seem to gravitate towards baking cozy stories.

Anyways, it is a light hearted story with interesting characters which grab a hold on you rather quickly.

Couldn't wait to pick up the second one.

message 34: by Arow (new)

Arow | 348 comments Book 17: Busted in Broken Hearts Junction by Meg Muldoon

4 Stars

The second installment was similar to the first but love is in the air and I personally couldn't get enough of it.

I don't have a lot to say other than I really enjoyed the story and am now waiting for book 3 to released so that I can follow up on Bitters life again.

message 35: by Arow (new)

Arow | 348 comments Book 18: Blueburied Muffins by Lyndsey Cole

2 Stars

This novel is missing a lot, it felt like I was reading an outline for a book not a full novel itself. The concept and idea were there but the follow through wasn't and it left me wanting for more.

I feel like too much was trying to be done and not enough focus was put into the substance of the story.

I think I will try the second in the series and see if it improves.

message 36: by Arow (new)

Arow | 348 comments Book 19: Truffles and Troubles: Book 1 in The Chocolate Cafe Series by Valley Sams

3 1/2 - 4 Stars

Enjoyable story that was well written, good story structure and interesting characters. I could envision parts of it longer and hammered out but enjoyed it the entire way through.

I think I will read a few more in the series.

message 37: by Britney (new)

Arow wrote: "Book 16: Burned in Broken Hearts Junction by Meg Muldoon

4 Stars

The Broken Hearts Junction series follows Loretta “Bitters” Loveless through her everyday life as..."

Sounds interesting

message 38: by Arow (new)

Arow | 348 comments Book 20: A Pie to Die For by Stacey Alabaster

3 stars

The story had good bones but needed more meat. It was like reading a first draft for and outline that needed more back story. I didn't feel connected to the characters and I feel that could have been developed more. liked the majority of the characters just wish we had learned more about them.

message 39: by Arow (new)

Arow | 348 comments Book 21: The Sweet Dreams Bake Shop by J.A. Whiting

4 stars

Really enjoyed the first installment of The Sweet Cove series. J.A.Whiting did a great job of laying out the town, the characters and the main storyline.

I enjoyed the added little layers that came out through the novel and I am excited to read book 2 in the series to see how certain storylines play out.

Definitely want to see more of the sisters and how there connection with each other is further explained and explored.

message 40: by Arow (new)

Arow | 348 comments Book 22: Naan Stop Murder by Ginny Gold

3 stars

Not my favourite book by Ginny Gold, after finishing the first book in the Food Truck series I kind of wished it was another installment in the Early Bird Cafe series. However I would be curious to see where the second book in the series takes us.

I might give it a read depending on how my 2017 challenge shapes up.

message 41: by Arow (new)

Arow | 348 comments Book 23: Christmas Caramel Murder by Joanne Fluke

3 1/2 stars

Great short novel by Joanne Fluke. Lets us enjoy a bit of Hannah and the gang prior to the new novel coming out in February which I like.

I have given this 3 1/2 stars, actual murder solving was decent but I really read this for the characters and the whole town in general. If you aren't a fan you may not enjoy it.

Looks like a few good recipes to try as well.

message 42: by Arow (new)

Arow | 348 comments And that's all they wrote folks! 23 cozy mysteries and I am done for the year. It has been a bit of a slow year for reading...here's hoping 2017 brings more cozies to cozy up with!

message 43: by Dagny (new)

Dagny (madamevauquer) Arow wrote: "And that's all they wrote folks! 23 cozy mysteries and I am done for the year. It has been a bit of a slow year for reading...here's hoping 2017 brings more cozies to cozy up with!"

Happy New Year and Happy Reading in 2017, Arow.