Mystery/Thriller Reading Friends discussion

Monthly "Reads" > Ann's Magical November books

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ann (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 14202 comments November was a month of books with a little magic, some of the kind we create ourselves through motivation and creativity, some with a light tone and some with seriously evil intent. My sleep was disturbed more than once with this set of reading choices, not just by the Stephen King short stories. Good choices even though bad dreams persist.

Juggling Elephants: An Easier Way to Get Your Most Important Things Done--Now!
Career of Evil
A Head Full of Ghosts
The Nature of the Beast
Big Magic: Creative Living Beyond Fear
The Sparrow Sisters: A Novel
Never Broken: Songs Are Only Half the Story
The Bazaar of Bad Dreams

Loflin, Jones Juggling Elephants: An Easier Way to Get Your Most Important Things Done--Now! finished 11/2/2015 Read for work, rank 8.5 of 10 Good advice!

Galbraith, Robert Career of Evil(Cormoran Strike, #3) finished 11/7/2015 on Audio rank 9.5 of 10
To say I love this series is an extreme understatement. The growth of the characters, already favorites, enhances this highly suspenseful tale partly told from the point of view of a very disturbed individual with a grudge while also adding strength and purpose to the voice of Robin, much more than a sidekick to our disheveled and scarred battle weary hero Cormoran. more please, Robert/ J.K., and quickly. the ending both satisfies and demands it.

Tremblay, Paul A Head Full of Ghosts finished 11/9/2015 on Audio Rank 9 of 10
The story grabbed me in right away and piqued my curiosity. The added dimension of comparisons to other stories of possession fueled my imagination and the sobering reality of the effect of reality shows on vulnerable (and gullible) people grounded the impact.

Penny, Louise The Nature of the Beast (Chief Inspector Armand Gamache, #11) finished 11/14/2015 on Audio Rank 9 of 10
A gripping tale that moves our favorite characters along in their lives and shows us more of the depths of Three Pines and in comparison reminds us to plumb for depths in our own worlds and experiences and to consider how we deal with the depths, the things we uncover or experience and may not like. The narration after Ralph Cosham was okay, even fine I suppose, although Gamache at times came across more strident in tone than I would have expected even though emotions were high.  Picturing Clara at her easel throughout the book was a subtlety that resonated and the title's significance is sadly appropriate as I read this book this weekend

Gilbert, Elizabeth Big Magic: Creative Living Beyond Fear finished 11/6/2015 on Audio read by the author Rank 9 of 10
The audio narration by the author was conversational in nature which added dimension and enjoyment to the thoughtful stories and examples Elizabeth Gilbert shared, especially those about her own writing experiences. I enjoyed the "showing" parts more than the "telling" parts, but even the telling advice sparked ideas and provided inspiration.

Herrick, Helen The Sparrow Sisters: A Novel finished 11/22/2015 on Audio Rank 8 of 10
Not a lightweight treatment of love, loss, the dangers of what fear, ambition and runaway public opinion can incite; and yet the feelings invoked are of lightness, love, suspense, and yes, a little magic.

Kilcher, Jewel Never Broken: Songs Are Only Half the Story finished 11/27/2015 on Audio Rank 8 of 10
The one sure thing in Jewel's life is music and her ability to write songs, songs full of heartbreak, struggles, hope and perseverance, songs from her heart. Her life has been incredibly hard, but the message, Never Broken, is like a beacon that leads her on her life journey bringing us her ever evolving music.

King, Stephen The Bazaar of Bad Dreams finished 11/29/2015 on Audio Rank 8.75 of 10
Some new, some old, a themed collection of death, aging, and disasters that leaves me unsettled (as intended of course, this is Stephen King after all). Several are favorites, all with introductions by the author that add dimension and a glimpse into where his head was when writing each story. I will not easily forget these well crafted stories, bad dreams have piggybacked into my consciousness. Even when you know generally where a tale is headed, the ride is a good one. I enjoyed the variety of narrators too.

message 2: by Dawn (new)

Dawn | 1248 comments What a great month you had! Some heavy reading in there. I totally agree with your Career of Evil review - I love these characters. I feel the same way about Three Pines too.

message 3: by Susie (new)

Susie Fevella (susieinks) | 1598 comments Whew! Great magical month Ann!

message 4: by Amy (new)

Amy | 1342 comments Good month Ann, I also liked Nature of the beast.

message 5: by LizH (new)

LizH (liz_h) | 955 comments Wow, a variety of great reads!

message 6: by Marcy (new)

Marcy | 865 comments I am listening to the King stories right now and loving the fact that even when I don't love the tale, the stories are staying with me. I think the language and narrations are working their magic. I also loved Career of Evil this month - the best of the series so far, in my opinion.

message 7: by Ann (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 14202 comments Hi Marcy! Good to see you! I agree with your comment on the way each King story in this collection weasels into our consciousness. a bit of magic there to be sure, true story telling magic.
Marcy wrote: "I am listening to the King stories right now and loving the fact that even when I don't love the tale, the stories are staying with me. I think the language and narrations are working their magic. ..."

message 8: by Melodie (new)

Melodie (melodieco) | 3588 comments I've got the King book coming up soon.

message 9: by Brakedrum (new)

Brakedrum | 1203 comments Ann, I'm reading King's short stories now. I'm really enjoying it!