John Robin's Epic Fantasy Syndicate discussion

Epic Fantasy discussion > Random epic fantasy chatter

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by John (new)

John Robin (john_robin) | 60 comments Mod
This thread is for random chatter about epic fantasy, nothing to do with Inkshares or our books / other books / syndicate / voting. You can talk about anything you'd like, really, get to know each other, etc.

message 2: by E (new)

E (em166) | 18 comments So how is everyone's writing going? I've been busy with finals so I haven't had any time for writing. Ughhhh.

message 3: by John (new)

I hear you on that, Kate! I used to be a full time student and trying to be a writer tore my soul in two (I just don't know how Voldemort managed seven).

This weekend is the second last weekend I'll spend on Blood Dawn. I'm a mixture of excited and petrified by surreal shock -- this is the end and I should be cheering, but it just feels so big coming to this point in a more than 15 month journey or weekly writing that I can't even process it. Anyway, it's a good thing, all in all !:)

message 4: by Thomas (new)

Thomas Arnold John wrote: "I hear you on that, Kate! I used to be a full time student and trying to be a writer tore my soul in two (I just don't know how Voldemort managed seven).

This weekend is the second last weekend I'..."

I don't see how any of you manage to get real work done on your books while trying to campaign. I suspect you just have far better time management techniques than I do. I'm barely keeping up with my campaigning, and my own editing is done on the first two books in my series. The third book only exists as a handwritten rough draft, and I cringe knowing just how much more editing its going to take from me than the previous two.
Book 3 was not an easy birth, and its full of gaps that I'm going to have to fill in/elaborate on during the editing process. Needless to say, I'm waiting to get started on that until Book 1's campaign is over.

message 5: by E (new)

E (em166) | 18 comments Hahahaha oh yeah I have horrible time management, which is why my book is barely funded, I haven't written in weeks, and my social media is sparse at best right now.

I'm barely getting anything done right now and I still have no idea how anyone does massive social media without getting drained.

message 6: by John (new)

I don't know how I do it. I can't exactly call myself a success, other than that I do manage to get people to come together and work together, then I can step away with the all the right balls rolling along and come back to give a little spin as needed. It doesn't really lead to book sales, but it leads to fun (which sometimes leads to book sales). I'm part of a writing coaching program called Author Accelerator who, do or die, I must submit a set number of pages a week to an editor who will critique it to make sure my draft is moving forward. That allows me to stuff my hands in as many pots as possible and get dirty, then plant my butt in the chair to escape the death sentence with several redemptive sentences. I haven't been beheaded yet, but I've been damn close. I credit Starbucks Komodo dragon coffee for those narrow escapes on Monday while I work desperately to make my midnight deadline!

message 7: by E (new)

E (em166) | 18 comments John wrote: "I don't know how I do it. I can't exactly call myself a success, other than that I do manage to get people to come together and work together, then I can step away with the all the right balls roll..."

John you are an inspiration to everyone for reals. I'm in awe at your skills.

message 8: by John (last edited Dec 06, 2015 08:14PM) (new)

Aww, thanks Kate! Maybe I'm too humble but I really don't know what I do, I just get in there and get dirty and it doesn't seem like anything amazing. I am really glad though that it's inspiring others to do likewise. Most of what I do I've picked up by working alongside successful authors over the last several years, picking up everything I liked about what they did. I think this is a very important thing for any author to do -- try out everything you can on your own, but pay close attention to people who are genuinely successful at what they do and let that inform your process (in a heuristic fashion). Be careful who you pay attention to, because there is wisdom in the adage: "Study the masters, not their pupils."

message 9: by E (new)

E (em166) | 18 comments John wrote: "Aww, thanks Kate! Maybe I'm too humble but I really don't know what I do, I just get in there are get dirty. I am really glad though that it's inspiring others to do likewise. Most of what I do I'v..."

I just don't have the time or energy to do what you do. I'm going to school full time and working 20-25 hours a week, it leaves little time to do promoting. I'm doing my best though.

message 10: by John (new)

Kate I've been there and fully relate. This is a full time job unto itself, and even that's cutting it short.

message 11: by E (new)

E (em166) | 18 comments Thanks John, I'm working towards a degree though so that's good :D. I'm thinking of majoring in geology. Yay rocks!

message 12: by E (new)

E (em166) | 18 comments So I set up a Red Bubble store, cause I want to sell my art (most of it's going to be book related). I didn't know where to post this, but if anyone wants to buy the 2 drawings I have up, I can link to my store. I plan on putting up more as the winter break goes on.

message 13: by Thomas (new)

Thomas Arnold K.E. wrote: "So I set up a Red Bubble store, cause I want to sell my art (most of it's going to be book related). I didn't know where to post this, but if anyone wants to buy the 2 drawings I have up, I can lin..."

I don't know that my finances will allow me to buy, but I'd definitely be interested in taking a look. Even if I can't afford to buy any of your art, maybe I could direct others your way.

message 14: by E (new)

E (em166) | 18 comments Hey Thomas, sorry this is so late, cause I didn't check Goodreads for a while.

Here's the link to my Redbubble Account: http://www.redbubble.com/people/kemadsen