Serial Readers discussion

A Penny for your Thoughts > What's everyone reading?

Comments Showing 1-50 of 87 (87 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by SerialReader, Moderator (new)

SerialReader | 220 comments Mod
Hey Readers,
the main reason for this club to be is sharing thoughts about what we love the most: books.
"I think this book is" is where you can write about the book you're reading and let everybody know if it worths it or not..

message 2: by SerialReader, Moderator (new)

Has anyone read this book? if so, what do you think of it?
This Sky, by Autumn Doughton

description

I have to say it was an easy reading, well written, enjoyable and entertaining.

message 3: by SerialReader, Moderator (new)

Just wondering.. what everyone's reading?

message 4: by Cheryl (new)

Cheryl Russell | 83 comments I've just finished The Trouble with Goodbye by Sarra Cannon. It was a good, easy read about Leigh Anne who goes back to her parents and the small town she grew up in after an incident at the college she was at. Her parents are controlling and hope she will fit in with her old friends and ex boyfriend as if she had never been away, however, she has changed.

message 5: by [deleted user] (last edited Jan 02, 2016 02:56PM) (new)

I plan to start The Sherlockian tomorrow (audio)

I am currently reading The Stand, The Shadow of the Wind and finally The Storied Life of A.J. Fikry

message 6: by SerialReader, Moderator (new)

The Storied Life of A.J. Fikry is beautiful, I loved it! Made me cry like a baby though, lol :)

message 7: by [deleted user] (new)

Really, I am finding it overly dramatic, but I am only on page 30!!! Too soon to draw conclusions.

message 8: by Bajen (new)

Bajen I am currently reading When the moon is low by Nadia Hashimi and wow. My eyes well up every time I pick it up. The story is so touching and such an easy read. I am enjoying it immensely.

message 9: by Cheryl (new)

Cheryl Russell | 83 comments I have just finished Before I Go To Sleep by S J Watson. An excellent read, full of twists and turns. I wasn't expecting the way it ended. Had to finish it in one day. Highly recommend this book.

message 10: by SerialReader, Moderator (new)

I'm reading The Readers of Broken Wheel Recommend, by Katarina Bivald
The Readers of Broken Wheel Recommend by Katarina Bivald

message 11: by Gabriel (new)

Gabriel Lacoste-piotte | 1 comments Kelly B wrote: "I plan to start The Sherlockian tomorrow (audio)

I am currently reading The Stand, The Shadow of the Wind and finally [book:The Storied Life of A.J. Fikry|..."

The shadow of the wind is one of my favourite book ever! It's starts slow but then by the midway point, it becomes a top notch mystery book. I hope you are enjoying that book as much as I did !

message 12: by Cheryl (new)

Cheryl Russell | 83 comments I'm currently reading Where the Memories Lie. An excellent read, highly recommend it. What really happened to Katie when she apparently ran away. Can Toms memory be trusted when he is suffering from Alzheimer's.

message 13: by Ashley (new)

Ashley | 56 comments Just finished up Flowers in the Attic- Highly disturbing!
and At the Water's Edge absolutely loved it! I really enjoyed her first book so I wasn't surprised I also enjoyed this one. Definitely recommend.
And I'm currently readingCleopatra's Daughter and I'm enjoying it, maybe not as much as I did Nefertiti and The Heretic Queen but still interesting enough read.

message 14: by Cheryl (new)

Cheryl Russell | 83 comments Just finished The Sisters of St. Croix. An excellent read. Couldn't put it down. I was really transported back in time to Nazi occupied France and hoping the Gestapo wouldn't catch the resistance or the nuns at the convent where a Jewish family were being hidden.

message 15: by [deleted user] (new)

I have finished The Storied Life of A.J. Fikry
I plan on The Martian next.

Asylum looks great for February, I think I have that on my Kindle

message 16: by SerialReader, Moderator (new)

What about The Storied Life of A.J. Fikry? Did you like it?
Asylum is terrific...I'm going to post a reminder in the Series section because the trilogy is really good! :)

message 17: by Ashley (new)

Ashley | 56 comments Slowly chipping away at Outlander
I'm finding that for me it reads much like The Game of Thrones series did

message 18: by SerialReader, Moderator (new)

Ashley wrote: "Slowly chipping away at Outlander
I'm finding that for me it reads much like The Game of Thrones series did"

A pain in the neck? :P that book got me like
description
it was good but mentally exhausting.

message 19: by Ashley (new)

Ashley | 56 comments SerialReader wrote: "Ashley wrote: "Slowly chipping away at Outlander

A pain in the neck? :P that book got me like

it was good ..."

hahaha that's exactly what it has me like! I'm enjoying the story but the reading the same sentence 4 times before figuring out what the heck they're saying is getting to be a little much

message 20: by SerialReader, Moderator (new)

Ashley wrote: "SerialReader wrote: "Ashley wrote: "Slowly chipping away at Outlander

A pain in the neck? :P that book got m..."

lol :D people love it but I can't find the courage to start the second book..I'm not ready for that kind of commitment :D

message 21: by Ashley (new)

Ashley | 56 comments SerialReader wrote: "Ashley wrote: "SerialReader wrote: "Ashley wrote: "Slowly chipping away at Outlander

A pain in the neck? :P ..."

I'm going to have to plow through the stack of library books I have before I even think about committing to the rest of the series lol

message 22: by Olivia Out Loud (new)

Olivia Out Loud (oliviaoutloud) | 3 comments Ashley wrote: "SerialReader wrote: "Ashley wrote: "SerialReader wrote: "Ashley wrote: "Slowly chipping away at Outlander

A ..."

I've read the entire Outlander series over a period of several years. Some of it was hard to read, I think it was book 2 or 3 that was very graphic, but overall, I loved the series. It is definitely a time investment for sure!

message 23: by SerialReader, Moderator (new)

Olivia Out Loud wrote: "Ashley wrote: "SerialReader wrote: "Ashley wrote: "SerialReader wrote: "Ashley wrote: "Slowly chipping away at Outlander
I'm finding that for me it reads much like The Game of Thrones ..."

I think I'll give it a try.. :)

message 24: by Ashley (new)

Ashley | 56 comments Just finished up The Lake House by Kate Morton and thought it was absolutely wonderful!
Currently working on The Hangman's Daughter (The Hangman's Daughter, #1) by Oliver Pötzsch and so far I'm not sure what to think

message 25: by [deleted user] (new)

SerialReader wrote: "What about The Storied Life of A.J. Fikry? Did you like it?
Asylum is terrific...I'm going to post a reminder in the Series section because the trilogy is really good! :)"

Sorry it has taken me so long to notice this. But I did like it. It was funny and heartfelt. A.J runs a bookstore and is a bitter recluse from the loss of his wife. He finds something one night in his store that changes his life forever. If you want to read something that will make you laugh and feel all warm a fuzzy this is it, but anything more than that, look elsewhere.

message 26: by Ashley (new)

Ashley | 56 comments Loved All the Light We Cannot See- this was such a good book with an interesting format. Chapters were short and each was from a different characters pov.
Just started The Memory Keeper's Daughter

message 27: by Syd (new)

Syd (deertales) (deertales) Ashley wrote: "Loved All the Light We Cannot See- this was such a good book with an interesting format. Chapters were short and each was from a different characters pov.
Just started The Mem..."</i>

I just finished [book:All the Light We Cannot See
and it is one of the rare books that you want to shrink down and tuck into your pocket so you can have it with you always. Loved it.

message 28: by Ashley (new)

Ashley | 56 comments A Darker Shade of Magic: it's been interesting and I'm anxious to finally get some time to sit down and really get into it instead of just reading a few pages here and there.

message 29: by Ashley (new)

Ashley | 56 comments Dragonfly in Amber I am LOVING this series. The books are major chunksters but the story is wonderful. Diana Gabaldon is a great storyteller!

message 30: by SerialReader, Moderator (new)

Wow, Diana Gabaldon is really winning excellent reviews everywhere here on Goodreads.. :)

message 31: by Cheryl (new)

Cheryl Russell | 83 comments I'm currently reading Scotland Yard Investigations: 5 Detective Novels. Has anyone else read it? What did you think? I'm not sure about it, it isn't very well written in my view, but I keep reading because I want to know who did it.

message 32: by Cheryl (new)

Cheryl Russell | 83 comments I've just finished reading Beautiful by Anita Waller. It was a superb read. Amelia never stood a chance when she was brutally attacked at the age of six. The physical damage healed but the mental damage was life long. The perpetrator sets out to find her when he is released from prison, but he changes his name and appearance so who is he amongst the characters that enter her life. I got it wrong so enjoyed the end. I highly recommend this for fans of psychological thrillers

message 33: by Ashley (new)

Ashley | 56 comments Just finished up Somebody I Used to Know and it left a lot to be desired. But I've moved on to The Witching Hour and I'm really excited to read a work by this author, I hope that I'm not disappointed and I hope I can get through this chunky chunkster in less than a week!

message 34: by Cheryl (new)

Cheryl Russell | 83 comments Just finished reading Six Million Accusers about the capture of one of the top Nazis Adolf Eichmann. It was quite good. Very interesting and easy to read. He was responsible for millions of deaths in the extermination camps

message 35: by SerialReader, Moderator (new)

Ashley wrote: "Just finished up Somebody I Used to Know and it left a lot to be desired. But I've moved on to The Witching Hour and I'm really excited to read a work by this author, I..."

I like your review on Somebody I Used to Know!

message 36: by SerialReader, Moderator (new)

Cheryl wrote: "Just finished reading Six Million Accusers about the capture of one of the top Nazis Adolf Eichmann. It was quite good. Very interesting and easy to read. He was responsible for millions of deaths ..."

I would love to read this book. If you're interested, about the same topic The Nazis Next Door: How America Became a Safe Haven for Hitler's Men this book is really good

message 37: by Cheryl (new)

Cheryl Russell | 83 comments Sounds interesting, I'll look into it. I am very interested in this period of history

message 38: by Cheryl (new)

Cheryl Russell | 83 comments Have just looked, it does look a very interesting read.

message 39: by SerialReader, Moderator (new)

Cheryl wrote: "Have just looked, it does look a very interesting read."

:) it is, tragic topic yet extremely interesting.

message 40: by Nazrul (new)

Nazrul Buang (nazrul-kun) | 4 comments Currently reading "Sapien: A Brief History of Humankind" by Yuval Noah Harari. I feel like it's basically a book that explains everything that happened to us humans.

Amazingly comprehensive.

message 41: by Bianca (new)

Bianca (biancamaartje) | 7 comments Ashley wrote: "Dragonfly in Amber I am LOVING this series. The books are major chunksters but the story is wonderful. Diana Gabaldon is a great storyteller!"

Hi! I have just read Outlander and I was blown away. Such fantastic writing and I can really see the world she creates. Do you read historical-fiction and/or time travel books often? Any recommendations?

message 42: by SerialReader, Moderator (new)

Bianca wrote: "Ashley wrote: "Dragonfly in Amber I am LOVING this series. The books are major chunksters but the story is wonderful. Diana Gabaldon is a great storyteller!"

Hi! I have just read Outla..."

The Paper Magician series is pretty good

message 43: by Ashley (new)

Ashley | 56 comments Bianca wrote: "Ashley wrote: "Dragonfly in Amber I am LOVING this series. The books are major chunksters but the story is wonderful. Diana Gabaldon is a great storyteller!"

Hi! I have just read Outla..."

I do enjoy reading historical fiction. Another series I've read that I was absolutely immersed in was the All Souls Trilogy by Deborah Harkness.(not really historical fiction more fantasy) The writing was wonderful and you could truly see the world being created by the author.
I could go on all day with recommendations :) You'll have to checkout my bookshelf

message 44: by Cheryl (new)

Cheryl Russell | 83 comments I don't like fantasy. I love psychological thrillers and anything else that looks good. Historical fiction is ok as long as it is set in the 20th century. I can't get into anything set before that.

message 45: by SerialReader, Moderator (new)

Ashley wrote: "Bianca wrote: "Ashley wrote: "Dragonfly in Amber I am LOVING this series. The books are major chunksters but the story is wonderful. Diana Gabaldon is a great storyteller!"

Hi! I have ..."

Historical fiction is quite new to me.. I just bought Outlander since everyone is going crazy about this book lol :)

message 46: by Ashley (new)

Ashley | 56 comments I was a big mysteries girl but I started to branch out and was really surprised at what I found myself liking. I read the entire Game Of Thrones series and was shocked at how much I enjoyed it. Right now I'm reading The Children's Home and I find myself just scratching my head trying to figure out what it is exactly that I'm reading.

message 47: by Bianca (new)

Bianca (biancamaartje) | 7 comments Ashley wrote: "Bianca wrote: "Ashley wrote: "Dragonfly in Amber I am LOVING this series. The books are major chunksters but the story is wonderful. Diana Gabaldon is a great storyteller!"

Hi! I have ..."

Oh yes! I have all three books and I absolutely devoured them.
@ SerialReader: Thanks will check it out! not that I will have any time to read them with huge load I still have to do!
Thanks all!

message 48: by Cheryl (new)

Cheryl Russell | 83 comments I've just finished reading Buried by Kendra Elliot. It was an excellent book although seemed a bit slow to start but soon picked up. Who the boss was a bit predictable although there was a twist I didn't see coming. Has anyone else read this, if so what did you think?

message 49: by SerialReader, Moderator (new)

I have it on my wish list as I heard it's a good story ☺️

message 50: by Cheryl (new)

Cheryl Russell | 83 comments I'm currently reading Desperate by Christine Copper and can't put it down. I've actually got my kindle on reading it whilst typing this. I'm half way through. It's a psychological thriller about domestic violence, I don't want to say more just in case I inadvertently add a spoiler.

« previous 1