Black Coffee discussion

Monthly book nominations > January: Classic Fiction Nomination

Comments Showing 1-15 of 15 (15 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Anastasia Kinderman | 942 comments Hello everyone,

It's time for nominations! This month we are doing classic fiction and our theme is the Harlem Renaissance. Please nominate the book you'd like to see in the upcoming poll.

Thanks!

message 2: by Beverly (new)

Beverly | 1078 comments I would like to nominate:

Black No More by George S. Schuyler

What would happen to the race problem in America if black people turned white? Would everybody be happy? These questions and more are answered hilariously in Black No More, George S. Schuyler's satiric romp. Black No More is the story of Max Disher, a dapper black rogue of an insurance man who, through a scientific transformation process, becomes Matthew Fisher, a white man. Matt dreams up a scam that allows him to become the leader of the Knights of Nordica, a white supremacist group, as well as to marry the white woman who rejected him when he was black. Black No More is a hysterical exploration of race and all its self-serving definitions. If you can't beat them, turn into them.

message 3: by lark (new)

lark benobi (larkbenobi) I'd love to read Black No More--it's been on my tbr list a long time.

message 4: by kisha, The Clean Up Lady (last edited Dec 07, 2015 07:55AM) (new)

kisha | 3907 comments Mod
I can't remember if we read this one as a group read or not but I am nominating The Blacker the Berry... The Blacker the Berry... by Wallace Thurman by Wallace Thurman

One of the most widely read and controversial works of the Harlem Renaissance, The Blacker the Berry...was the first novel to openly explore prejudice within the Black community. This pioneering novel found a way beyond the bondage of Blackness in American life to a new meaning in truth and beauty.
Emma Lou Brown's dark complexion is a source of sorrow and humiliation -- not only to herself, but to her lighter-skinned family and friends and to the white community of Boise, Idaho, her home-town. As a young woman, Emma travels to New York's Harlem, hoping to find a safe haven in the Black Mecca of the 1920s. Wallace Thurman re-creates this legendary time and place in rich detail, describing Emma's visits to nightclubs and dance halls and house-rent parties, her sex life and her catastrophic love affairs, her dreams and her disillusions -- and the momentous decision she makes in order to survive.

A lost classic of Black American literature, The Blacker the Berry...is a compelling portrait of the destructive depth of racial bias in this country. A new introduction by Shirlee Taylor Haizlip, author of The Sweeter the Juice, highlights the timelessness of the issues of race and skin color in America.

Anastasia Kinderman | 942 comments I love your nomination, Beverly!

Kisha, I believe the group read that when I first joined. I didn't read it though.

message 6: by kisha, The Clean Up Lady (new)

I knew it sounded familiar

Anastasia Kinderman | 942 comments I nominate Jonah's Gourd Vine by Zora Neale Hurston.

message 8: by Lulu, The Book Reader who could. (new)

Lulu (lulureads365) | 2489 comments Mod
All the books nominated so far are one's I've been wanting to read, so I'm sure I won't be disappointed no matter the outcome.

I'll nominate Cane -- Jean Toomer

First published in 1923, Jean Toomer’s Cane is an innovative literary work—part drama, part poetry, part fiction—powerfully evoking black life in the South. Rich in imagery, Toomer’s impressionistic, sometimes surrealistic sketches of Southern rural and urban life are permeated by visions of smoke, sugarcane, dusk, and fire; the northern world is pictured as a harsher reality of asphalt streets. This iconic work of American literature is published with a new afterword by Rudolph Byrd of Emory University and Henry Louis Gates Jr. of Harvard University, who provide groundbreaking biographical information on Toomer, place his writing within the context of American modernism and the Harlem Renaissance, and examine his shifting claims about his own race and his pioneering critique of race as a scientific or biological concept.

message 9: by ♥ Kierra ♥ (new)

♥ Kierra ♥ (misskay1104) | 44 comments poingu wrote: "I'd love to read Black No More--it's been on my tbr list a long time."

Same here!

message 10: by [deleted user] (new)

I also would like to read Cane by Toomer. I had a copy. Can't find it. Will look again.

Anastasia Kinderman | 942 comments Black No More will be our January read.

message 12: by ♥ Kierra ♥ (new)

♥ Kierra ♥ (misskay1104) | 44 comments Hey, I'll be starting the book soon and I wanted to know where we discuss it.

message 13: by kisha, The Clean Up Lady (last edited Jan 13, 2016 05:45AM) (new)

♥ Kierra ♥ wrote: "Hey, I'll be starting the book soon and I wanted to know where we discuss it."

Hello Kierra here is the link where we have been discussing Black No More. Thanks for joining in! Hope you enjoy!

message 14: by ♥ Kierra ♥ (new)

♥ Kierra ♥ (misskay1104) | 44 comments thank you kisha!

message 15: by kisha, The Clean Up Lady (new)

No worries!