Mystery/Thriller Reading Friends discussion

Monthly "Reads" > LizH's November

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by LizH (new)

LizH (liz_h) | 955 comments Another 4 book month for me, and I am finding that I have struggled, or am struggling with a few more books than I really need to. I used to be the kind of reader who read a few pages and then ditched the book if it wasn't working for me. Now I have been reading 100-200 pages in, hoping that it will live up to the recommendations that made me want to read the book in the first place. Well, I believe I have a New Years Resolution in the making. If it doesn't grab be quick, it's out.

35. ORPHAN NUMBER EIGHT by Kim van Alkemade 4/5 Great story about a girl and her brother who were orphaned, and her account of the experiments she was subjected to. She then meets the Dr who led those experiments and she must decide to let this Dr who is ravaged by cancer to die peacefully or suffer like she herself did.

36. RESCUE MY HEART by Jill Shalvis 3/5 This one was good, but not that good. This dragged for me a little. Teenage sweethearts try to deny their love, but alas, could they be soul mates, forever and ever?

37. RUMOR HAS IT by Jill Shalvis 4/5 I liked the combination of these 2, 2nd grade teacher and ex-army dude. For once a strong female character! Will they, won't they, pretty formulaic, but it's easy mindless reading.

38. IN THE UNLIKELY EVENT by Judy Blume 1/5. Had high hopes for this as the author has been one of my favorites. Unfortunately, couldn't get into this, too many characters for me, too confusing, not the right book, not the right time.

message 2: by Merrilee in AZ (new)

Merrilee in AZ | 1113 comments Liz I agree about giving up on a book. I've fought my way through to many lately

message 3: by Dawn (new)

Dawn | 1257 comments Liz, your review of Rumor Has It grabbed my attention, thinking it would be a light fun book in the midst of the holiday craziness. Went to Amazon, and its free for Kindle download! Thanks so much...looking forward to the read!

message 4: by Susie (new)

Susie Fevella (susieinks) | 1606 comments I understand how you feel Liz. I'm now using my 50 page rule. If I don't like it by page 50, I'm done :)

message 5: by Shomeret (new)

Shomeret | 1366 comments Susie wrote: "I understand how you feel Liz. I'm now using my 50 page rule. If I don't like it by page 50, I'm done :)"

Unless I have a commitment to review the book, I need to be hooked in the first chapter. If that doesn't happen, it goes back to the library or gets deleted from my Kindle.

message 6: by Ann (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 14273 comments Liz: I abandoned the Judy Blume book too! It is frustrating when a book doesn't live up to expectations and we have committed precious reading time that could have been better spent. It's hard to know when to abandon ship too. I have stuck out more than 50 pages for some books and have been glad I did, and stuck to some and I was sorry I did. Recommendations here help out a lot.

message 7: by LizH (new)

LizH (liz_h) | 955 comments Thanks all, I don't feel like I am the only one who gives up on books!! Dan, glad u are trying the Shalvis book. Easy, mindless, light, perfect for the holidays!

message 8: by Amy (new)

Amy | 1342 comments I also stop reading a book if I don't like it.

message 9: by Carol/Bonadie (new)

Carol/Bonadie (bonadie) | 7808 comments How long I stick with a book depends on the book and the reason I picked it up in the first place. I remember the last book I "threw across the room" ( well not really, it was on audio) which was Plum Island. I stuck with it way past it's sell by date because so many have loved it and I've enjoyed other books by Nelson DeMille. After one too many wisecreacks from John Corey I was done.

message 10: by Ann (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 14273 comments Carol: I have wondered if I wohld still appreciate John Corey's wisecracking ways. I read Plum Island long ago.

message 11: by Barry (new)

Barry (barrypz) | 2960 comments I, for one, liked Plum Island and the follow on books.

message 12: by Ann (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 14273 comments I really liked Plum Island too, Barry. I read the first four books and then stalled out. I am up to The Lion
Barry wrote: "I, for one, liked Plum Island and the follow on books."

message 13: by LizH (new)

LizH (liz_h) | 955 comments I too loved the wise-cracking JohnCorey!