What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

SOLVED: Adult Fiction > SOLVED. Historcal romantic novel, young girl asks old noble man for education in excange she will be his lover when she's older [s]

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lisa (new)

Lisa | 3 comments Sorry for any grammar or spelling mistakes (English is not my mother tongue...)

I read this book around 2005, but I think it was published earlier. I read it in German, but I think it was translated from English.
It's aimed at adults or NA (sex scenes...) and plays somewhere between the 17th to 19th century.

A young girl (maybe 10) meets an old noble man (he owns the castle/mansion next to her town). On day she wants to wear beautiful dresses like the women she sees all day and go to school, so she asks him for an education. In exchange she will be his lover when she is older.
She writes him a letter every month or week to keep him updated to her learning progress.
When she's finished with school (she might be twenty), she goes to his mansion in London? (a big city...) and finds out that the old man died. His son (around 30 years old) (I call him 'he' in the following) read all her letters and wants to free her from the contract. But when he finally meets her, he can't let her go.
She neither wants to fulfill the contract, but wants to pay her depts. So she offers him to work as his accountant, because she is good with numbers.
I'm not sure what exactly happens then, but after half of the book they find together. He even makes her a proposal.
During her time in school, she met another noble man, (I have no idea what his name was, but I will call him Dirk in the following to not get confused with the two man) she wanted to marry before she met him. Dirk is an old enemy of him, after he finds out that she is an ordinary girl, he wants to use her to hurt his old opponent.
After the proposal she meets with Dirk (in a stable) to tell him that she doesn't love him and end their relationship. Dirk is so furious, that he tries to rape her, but her fiancé bursts into that scene. He gets it all wrong and thinks she betrayed him all the time. He sends her away.
She tries to convince him that nothing happened, but he does not believe her.
So she leaves the mansion and rents an old hotel room and works as ... Because of an incident she ends up in prison.
Her ex-financé finds out the truth (I think a servant of him overheard the conversation of her and Dirk) and so he frees her form prison. They get back together.

The book didn't finish there. I'm not quite sure what happens next. But i think it was something with the relationship of him and his dead father and the old mansion next to her hometown.

Sorry for my bad English, but I hope you understood the plot :P

Thanks for your help, it would be so great if anybody would know the book.

message 2: by Mrsbooks (new)

Mrsbooks | 252 comments Sounds interesting. Hope you find it.

message 3: by Amy (new)

Amy Diaz | 224 comments Yeah I hope so too.

message 4: by Lisa (new)

Lisa | 3 comments For anyone who's interested in the book: It's Heartless
Thanks to the Romance Novel Book Sleuth Group who helped me find it :)

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Heartless (other topics)