ignite the books discussion

Writing Chatter > Software

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Leah (last edited Dec 05, 2015 06:42AM) (new)

Leah Nymja | 121 comments I know we had a thread somewhere about this, but I thought it might be a good resource to post some of the software programs we use for bigger projects.

message 2: by Leah (new)

Leah Nymja | 121 comments Here's what I've been using:

Novlr: This one is newer! AND IT'S AMAZING!! Can export to dropbox or GDocs, allows you to manage your chapters, have tag options, and there's one million features.

And, admittedly, most of my writing is not creative. So for my fellow researchers & techwriters:

Zotero: Let's you collect, organize, cite, and share research sources. LIFE SAVER for longer projects.

EndNote: Similar to Zotero, but not as good imo. Still helpful!

LaTeX: Great for longer projects such as dissertations & theses-- has a bit of a learning curve, but is very helpful for avoiding interface clutter-- best for STEM-based writing as it doesn't bork up your figures, data, visualizations, or charts

WunderList: a TDL program that syncs your data!! I like this one better than EverNote since you get more mileage out of the free plan (EverNote I maxed out in one semester)

Mendeley: Good e-library for sources-- let's you host and annotate PDFs! Also syncs data between devices :D

((happy finals))

message 3: by [deleted user] (new)

I've downloaded the free trial of Scrivener, but haven't been able to figure out a way to use it that works best for me. I pretty much use GDocs exclusively but its easy to get super unorganized so I've been looking at other options for the next project

message 4: by Hannah (last edited Dec 05, 2015 11:59PM) (new)

Hannah (ignitesthestars) | 220 comments Mod
i'm gonna give novlr a try! it seems a little neater than scrivener, although i really badly want to make scrivener work for me

eta hahaha changed my mind the line spacing is pissing me off STICKING WITH GDOCS I GUESS